It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Cruz Blasts Washington Post Cartoon of Daughters as Monkeys

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

...and Hillary used her own baby grand daughter for fundraising and Hispanic voter outreach on her website donor page.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Did his kids volunteer for this or are they pawns?

Does it matter?

I've heard people say some of the most offensive things in print - circulated all over the internet - about Obama's kids and his wife. It sucks that we're no better than this. Honestly - I cringe at some of the things I see and hear

Freedom of speech - does it have limits? Should we rewrite the constitution? We all went around and around about the Confederate flag. People thought the flag was being banned. It should never be banned

It was wrong to fly it over a government building that belongs to all the people and is supposed to represent all people. It's a statement of belief and doesn't belong on government property. It's not wrong to fly it over your house. That's free speech. It's distasteful - but not wrong or illegal

Used to be a time when journalism didn't show people actually dying on TV - now they just warn you before they do. Used to be a time when journalism didn't go after a politicians private life - now we demand that they do

The Washington post isn't government - it's a newspaper

Hands off the children was a journalistic gentleman's agreement. This country could stand to honor this sort of thing - to go back to a time when privacy was respected and a politicians kids weren't drawn as little monkeys in a major newspaper

But now it's done do we really want to say that it can't be done? Should we say a newspaper can't draw pictures of Mohamed? What else can't they say or show?

The paper was wrong to pull it. I understand why they did - but they should have left it alone

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Easy answer. No, you can't limit it. You CAN refuse to pander to it though. No market and it'll go away. But it seems that this is what politics is to some people.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

In many ways intrepid I feel like I'm standing here watching civilization dissolve...

You're right - we can refuse to pander and we can demand more of each other and ourselves. That's what happened today with this drawing - the uproar was worth it I think

We do change our minds about what we're willing to accept

Not to make everything about The Lump - but in a weird way his campaign may be just what this country needed. Perspective and reestablished boundaries and priorities

Maybe we should thank him :-)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Voltaire, freedom of speech, JE SUIS CHARLIE..now all of the sudden y'all get butthurt over a cartoon ? Oohhhh the irony

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

originally posted by: rollanotherone
a reply to: Blaine91555
You don't think you're being a bit dramatic?

No, I'm not. Going after any candidates children and even more representing them as monkeys on leashes is disgusting under any decent persons standards in my opinion.

I mean what kind of sick people involve peoples children just because they don't like the politics of their parent.

What about religion? Every poly tishun uses their religion to pander to their base. It's one of the reasons I can't stand voting. God and church are brought up in every debate. Is that off limits too? I think if a candidate is ballsy enough to use it to pander, criticism should be allowed without scrutiny. Swift boat propaganda.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: ReadLeader

Did they go too far this time? Are spouses and children really off limits?

He used his kids. He used his own children as props in his campaign

I would love to live in a society that is courteous and respectful, but since it's open season on Mohamed drawings and provoking people in the name of free speech I have to say - as distasteful as it is - it is free speech

You can't have it both ways

Of course it's free speech... that's not being questioned ... the government had absolutely no right in prosecuting the post in any way over this.

We as consumers however should stop consuming the post until they stop behaving like this.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ButsDuge

the government had absolutely no right in prosecuting the post in any way over this.

They didn't - WP made the choice to pull it and apologize

They should have told Cruz to go - well, they should have said no dice

The drawing attacks Cruz for using his own kids - he has that coming

It doesn't say anything insulting about the kids themselves

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Funny how the CFR picks Cruz as their man then the WaPo publishes this cartoon generating sympathy for Ted.
Instant media circus and attention and sympathy for displaying his kids as monkeys.
Politricks are getting very complicated these days.
Even negative publicity can be turned to one's benefit.
I assure you the timing on this was no accident.
edit on 24-12-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

The drawing could have attacked Cruz for using his kids by having the kids be on a leash. Instead they were displayed as animals.

a reply to: rollanotherone

Religion is a thing, not a person. It is also not off limits.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

That wouldn't convey the intended meaning. They are not saying the children are animals but that he is training his children to act or to put on show for political reasons.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Ketsuko Almost nailed Cruz's response.

blurbrain.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

So, they're going to blame it on the Editor and not the cartoonist?

Yes, that is exactly where the blame should be.

First, the cartoonist draws the cartoon at the behest of the Editor - the cartoonist expresses the 'idea' that the editor asked for - nothing more, nothing less.

Second, the Editor decides whether or not to use the cartoonist's work or to use the work of another cartoonist instead. The Editor bears final responsibility for what goes into the published paper - he has final say.

It is absolutely the responsibility of the Editor, and there is no one to blame except the Editor.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

I remember that, and I don't recall people brushing it off.

True, but what I don't recall is Ted Cruz objecting to it - I seem to recall him trying to score points off it (but I can't back that up). Anyway...

I think kids should be off limits, and if you're going to bash, limit that bashing to the candidate, not his kids or his wife.

100% agree.

The problem here is the typical liberal double standard where drawing kids as monkeys is only acceptable if they're white kids that belong to a GOP candidate.

100% disagree. It has absolutely nothing to do with 'liberal' anything. You said it yourself: "kids should be off limits" - and that has nothing what-so-ever to do with politics or ideology. Thoughtful 'conservatives' were as outraged over the 'Obama as monkey' drawings and the abusing of the Presidents children just as 'liberals' were.

Any 'double standard' only comes into play when you have the unthinking 'conservative' folks who were OK with portraying the President as a monkey and/or abusing his children who are now pretending to be outraged over this incident.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

And the children on leashes with the typical "monkey on a leash" items wouldn't have been enough? If not then the cartoonist wasn't good or funny since they couldn't make it work without the children being depicted as animals.

Edit: obviously my view is accurate as WaPo retracted, apologized and punished the editor.
edit on 26-12-2015 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

OH COME ON!!! EVERYONE with even a smidgen of trust, puts their children in video for the Holidays and any other reason to show case them. If you do not like the man, fine but lets be real here, his children are adorable and why not show a little bit of him in a down to earth and proud parent setting? I mean he may just be the next POTUS and those adorable girls will be our first children. Haters just hate, had it been the candidate of your choice this would have been a non issue, sheeze people.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Ah! Ted Cruz. Born in Canada. His father (Rafael Bienvenido Cruz) , is a Cuban-born American Christian preacher and public speaker. Ted Cruz's grandfather was originally from Canary Islands, Spain.

Wow, very - Texan!
edit on 26-12-2015 by mekhanics because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I thought cartoons were covered under the free speech banner. Mohamed as a dog or Barry as an Alfred E Newman ape. Cruz should have ignored it not using it as a platform to raise cash. If you object to the cartoon don't patronize the paper.People these days have thinner skins than a lake trout.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

that in a nutshell says it all really

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: antar
a reply to: DelMarvel

OH COME ON!!! EVERYONE with even a smidgen of trust, puts their children in video for the Holidays and any other reason to show case them.

It wasn't a "holiday" video.

It was a political video and he had his little kid making a snarky comment about another candidate. "Everyone" isn't running for office and "everyone" doesn't do that.

If he want's his kids out of the campaign, DON'T PUT THEM IN THE CAMPAIGN.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join