It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google mining data from competitor - is this illegal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I wasn't sure where to put this, hopefully it's okay in this forum.

I have evidence that Google is obtaining data from its competitor, Yandex. You might not have heard of Yandex, but it's basically Russian Google.

So, what's going on? Is it illegal for Google to obtain data from accounts registered with Yandex or one its subsidiaries? They're competitors, they don't have a data sharing deal or whatever (unless some real sneaky sh*t is going on). The information they're accessing includes user's real names, their usernames, location, email content, email addresses, basically all the personal information you can think of.

I'm not going to post what I have, not right now. And just in case, if what they're doing is illegal, I'd obviously rather they didn't get wind of it before anything could be done. I don't want to do anything until I know if anything illegal is going on. I was pretty pissed off when I found out, because they were getting a hold of my personal data. I really don't think Google should have the personal information of its competitor's userbase.

I'm sorry I can't post the evidence of this data collection, so I'm afraid that you will have to take my word for it (for now), or I guess you could experiment around and see if you can see for yourself. But if this activity is illegal, what do I do? Get on the phone to Роскомнадзор? That's the Russian Internet Police (pretty much).

If this isn't illegal, there's something wrong in the world.

Edit: there's an English link for Roskomnadzor that I didn't see before, just in case you want to see what it is, here Roskomnadzor
edit on 23/12/1515 by DeepThoughtCriminal because: Direct orders from Vladimir Putin

Edit: I'm a dumbass. It is absolutely illegal. The reason Google pulled out of Russia was because it wasn't allowed to collect and store data on Russian people. I live in Australia but I still count, probably. Still a citizen. Also, it's not just me. From what I can tell every Yandex user is being subjected to this.
edit on 23/12/1515 by DeepThoughtCriminal because: idiocy and bad memory

edit on 23/12/1515 by DeepThoughtCriminal because: sdf

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: DeepThoughtCriminal
I often use Yandex or duckduckgo they come with Maxthon browser in links. I would be really p*ssed to find google stole what I searched in either.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
if it goes through google servers google processed the data. Google is a lot bigger than anyone realizes.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Case in point:

Not what it seems

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Michet
a reply to: Vector99

Case in point:

Not what it seems

That link is borked...

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

Try this one

Wikileaks - Google Is Not What It Seems

Or

Newsweek - Google Is Not What It Seems

Interesting, apparently a link to Wikileaks doesn't seem to work.
edit on 23-12-2015 by ProjectedLogic because: Comment about broken link

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
There is a certain elemental people that we are well aware of

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProjectedLogic
a reply to: MrCrow

Try this one

Wikileaks - Google Is Not What It Seems

Or

Newsweek - Google Is Not What It Seems

Interesting, apparently a link to Wikileaks doesn't seem to work.

Hm...after seeing how polarized the people in the US have become, and seeing how much money Google spends (they outspend Lockeed Martin in lobbying) -- it's not surprising we've had gridlock in DC. If they (Google) consider themselves, "radical centrists" -- then it makes sense to not allow the Tea Party to totally take over, or allow the left-wingers to totally take over. Give the House and Senate to the Republicans, let the Democrats keep the White House.

If that is Google's mantra, this "radical centrist" -- we're going to probably see another Democrat in the WH, or a complete flip-flop and a Democrat-controlled House and Senate with a Republican POTUS.

In other words, more gridlock and stalemate. Google has the connections and the money to keep DC basically sitting on its hands.

And from what it sounds like, Google is helping a lot of people INSIDE the US Gov. keep it that way. All the think-tanks and policy groups seem to want to prevent our government from swinging to far to either side of the political spectrum -- despite the fact the people are more polarized than ever.

It's an untenable situation -- the PEOPLE want radical change, not radical centrism. Those smarty-pants Ivy League policy makers have to have the foresight to see that...they have to be able to predict that by artificially manipulating the political structure of the USA, they're making people more and more upset and polarized -- more "radical" which is EXACTLY what it appears Google has been tasked with trying to fight with its technology worldwide.

Good lord, just put me in charge, I swear I could fix the world ...
edit on 23-12-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

I've always wondered how much dirt an entity such as Google might have on people in power. With all of it's data mining, prediction algorithms and the like.

I've never had any doubt they've always held influence behind the scenes with self interest, preservation and expansion in mind.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ProjectedLogic

Seems like they're in bed with folks hell-bent on regime change, and using social media-type tech to help. Also, they seem pretty firm on maintaining the status quo and keeping everything...well...the same. No radical shifts left or right, despite the wishes and wills of the people. I also get the distinct impression they're doing a lot of social engineering and studying populations with their data -- to see what's trending, what's not...and using that information as a way to predict and even shape future trends to influence entire populations of people.

They may think they're doing the right thing -- that they're not doing "evil" at all ... but who gave them the moral authority to decide that? Does insane money grant them moral authority? I'm sorry, I was kind of under the impression that morality was a non-corporeal, metaphysical, abstract concept that can't be bought/sold via physical money.

How would Google feel if an extraterrestrial intelligence infiltrated them and began using social engineering techniques on their employees and board of directors? Would Google just submit to the "moral authority of the aliens" because the aliens have more resources and must obviously know best?

This is ####-for-brains thinking and insanely moronic logic. Of course Google wouldn't just go, "Well they have more money/power, so whatever..."

So why should we?

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
google knows all

top topics

join