It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Donald Trump Moment Is Developing In Vladimir Putin's Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

At first glance, Vladimir Putin’s Kremlin Inc. seems immune from the Trump “throw the bums out” movement. For the fifteen years of his tenure, Putin has had the support and loyalty of the 85% of Russians who get their news from state TV. They are working-class Russians and “biudzhetniki”–government workers or state pensioners–who are paid from federal or regional state budgets. The 85% are not particularly interested in politics; they dislike cerebral regime opponents who, they think, only want to stir up trouble.

Russia’s 85% seem firmly under thumb of the state. The Kremlin controls TV, from which they get their news. The Kremlin’s electoral commission decides what parties and which candidates can run for office. The Kremlin’s internal security apparatus costs more than national defense. Regime opponents are silenced by jail terms or house arrest. Investigative journalists are murdered. The Kremlin’s liberal opposition is like a gnat, which Kremlin leaders must swat when it gets irritating.

Russia’s Trump danger to the Kremlin elite comes not from liberals, but from Russia’s 85%. They expect Putin to deliver rising living standards, jobs, and economic stability. In return, they’ll not take notice of corruption, mismanagement of state enterprises, favoritism, patronage, or nepotism. They will put up with the convoys of Mercedes, BMWs, and Audis that disrupt traffic or the special license plates for restricted-zone parking as long as they can have their beach vacation in Egypt or Turkey, and their paychecks keep up with inflation. If the Kremlin delivers, they’ll keep their mouths shut and vote for Putin’s United Russia Party in 2016 and Putin himself in 2018.

However, the author argues that Putin has not delivered on his end of the bargain with the 85%. The Russian economy has fallen 6 quarters in a row and wages, living standards, and inflation are all in the toilet. That same 85% that get all their info from the state news are beginning to distrust their source at an all time high. For those who do not wish to read the entire article, I'll summarize 6 indications that a Trump moment is developing in Russia below.

Firstly, 85% now say the economy is their greatest concern, with just 22% citing the mess in Ukraine

Second, Russian truckers 3 million strong, are protesting a federal highway tax that will diminish their income and benefit oligarch cronies. The Russian gov forcefully put a halt to some protests, but they continue nationwide.

Third, speeches by three prominent businessman have gone viral on the Russian internet decrying corruption, red tape, and the disappearing middle class. The msg clearly resonated with the 85%.

Fourth, A poll for the position of Mayor in Barnaul (population 650,000) shows that out of the 9 contestants, a Siamese cat received 90% of the vote.

Fifth, an anti-corruption documentary went viral after exposing the Russian prosecutor general, Yury Chaika of amassing vast wealth through influence, rigged auctions, and dealings with notorious criminal gangs. The revelations lead the one of the country's top newspapers to declare corruption throughout the Russian state.

Sixth, in a press conference Putin gaffed it up when struggling to explain the tanking economy and corruption of his inner circle. In an apparent blatant lie he claimed that "100" of the proceeds of the road tax go to highway construction and none to his childhood friends collecting the tax.". Putin also dismissed the corruption claims against Chaika.

In closing;

The author postulates that the Kremlin could not tame a Trump like movement of a pissed off 85% of the population. Also there is the three million truckers and their families who seem unlikely to forgive and forget any time soon..

Whole article here;
Forbes

So what say ye ats? Could all the necessary catalysts be in place for political change in Russia? Or probably not..
Also, first thread be gentle.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: MartinD28

Well if these statements are correct about the people... I feel we may be in great trouble. Wouldn't a great motivator and economy boost for a government such as Russia be war? Granted we stalked them out in the cold war, but what about a hot one?

Putin is getting old and what else does he have to lose.

I am ready though for all the Putin lovers though to bash you lol. About to get the popcorn.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Wow, sounds like the big wiggs in their country are corrupt too. Different kind of corrupt, but still corrupt. When our government gets tired of people they just find a way of discrediting them and then charge them with a major crime.

link   
Nice first thread! The cat being elected mayor was a wtf? But it's legit link. I think the Russian economy is suffering mainly from oil prices, a strategy I believe the US and Saudi are hand in hand in. It was only a matter of time that Russia starts imploding, they are too reliant on oil and gas sales.

link   

MSM propaganda. You will not find a balanced article in the MSM anywhere. They will take the most blatant lies and spin them. If they find anything negative,they will run with it and tell you Russia is collasping tomorrow. That is why I don't believe anything I read in the MSM at all anymore. I want my news to be truthful,fair and balanced.You won't see that here.The MSM must keep us pointing at other countries and their flaws,so that we don't stop and think about ours.If we ever did,there would be hell to be paid.So the bigger the so called 'scandal',and the worse they can spin it,the more likely no one will pay attention to what our own governments are doing in the west.Just a spin off of the old bread and circus' routine.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Putin will ask Trump for help with the economy, he will send his son or daughter over there to help them if they ease off of Crimeia and Ukraine. Russia and USA will join forces to eliminate ISIL, our common enemy.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae

MSM propaganda. You will not find a balanced article in the MSM anywhere. They will take the most blatant lies and spin them. If they find anything negative,they will run with it and tell you Russia is collasping tomorrow. That is why I don't believe anything I read in the MSM at all anymore. I want my news to be truthful,fair and balanced.You won't see that here.The MSM must keep us pointing at other countries and their flaws,so that we don't stop and think about ours.If we ever did,there would be hell to be paid.So the bigger the so called 'scandal',and the worse they can spin it,the more likely no one will pay attention to what our own governments are doing in the west.Just a spin off of the old bread and circus' routine.

It's what they call psy-ops. They are trying to drive down the Russian economy by scaring away investors.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae

The fact I don't find much independant news coming from Russia, is telling in itself.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Russia has been heading for trouble for awhile. The problems remain what they have always been, most of Russia's economy is based on oil and natural. When fracking became cost efficient. That started the price drops. The Saudi's and OPEC wanting to drive the frackers out of business started pumping more oil. That made it worse for Russia. The slow down in China cutting demand the last straw. And to make it worse both Iranian and Libya are do to start flooding the market in the next year. Oh, and the frackers have survived by making cost cuts.

The second problem for Russia is its arms industry. In the cheap small arms market China is killing them with cheaper clones. In the more expensive high tech market Russia systems are always late, sometimes never delivered and often defective. This has allowed the West to steal that part of the arms industry.

You take away oil and arms and Russia has little to offer. Then you have the massive corruption, always a problem but, far more noticeable in hard times. And last Russia disastrous military adventures in Ukraine and Syria. Costing money, lives, global opinion and trade with no upside or path out.

You ad all that together and you have recipe for disaster. The biggest problem for Russia is it has no loyal friends. Iran is hurting it by soon flooding the market with gas and oil, the former Soviet Republics seems to anything they can to undercut Russia and China clones Russia weapons and the sells them for less taking Russian markets, not to mention all of the money China is pooing into Ukraine. China's so called friends are worse than it enemies.

Removing Putin and replacing him with a more competent leader would only help if reapproachment with the West were to happen and Western money could flow again to build a new Russian economy. Of course corruption would still be a problem and standing up to China would have to come sooner rather than later. And that would still not fix oil prices either.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Wow, sounds like the big wiggs in their country are corrupt too. Different kind of corrupt, but still corrupt. When our government gets tired of people they just find a way of discrediting them and then charge them with a major crime.

Yes, it seems the Russians prefer a more direct approach a la poor Alexander Litvinenko.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
Nice first thread! The cat being elected mayor was a wtf? But it's legit link. I think the Russian economy is suffering mainly from oil prices, a strategy I believe the US and Saudi are hand in hand in. It was only a matter of time that Russia starts imploding, they are too reliant on oil and gas sales.

Thanks for the link. Yes, a definite wtf. The Russian equivalent to Deez Nuts.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
Russia has been heading for trouble for awhile. The problems remain what they have always been, most of Russia's economy is based on oil and natural. When fracking became cost efficient. That started the price drops. The Saudi's and OPEC wanting to drive the frackers out of business started pumping more oil. That made it worse for Russia. The slow down in China cutting demand the last straw. And to make it worse both Iranian and Libya are do to start flooding the market in the next year. Oh, and the frackers have survived by making cost cuts.

The second problem for Russia is its arms industry. In the cheap small arms market China is killing them with cheaper clones. In the more expensive high tech market Russia systems are always late, sometimes never delivered and often defective. This has allowed the West to steal that part of the arms industry.

You take away oil and arms and Russia has little to offer. Then you have the massive corruption, always a problem but, far more noticeable in hard times. And last Russia disastrous military adventures in Ukraine and Syria. Costing money, lives, global opinion and trade with no upside or path out.

You ad all that together and you have recipe for disaster. The biggest problem for Russia is it has no loyal friends. Iran is hurting it by soon flooding the market with gas and oil, the former Soviet Republics seems to anything they can to undercut Russia and China clones Russia weapons and the sells them for less taking Russian markets, not to mention all of the money China is pooing into Ukraine. China's so called friends are worse than it enemies.

Removing Putin and replacing him with a more competent leader would only help if reapproachment with the West were to happen and Western money could flow again to build a new Russian economy. Of course corruption would still be a problem and standing up to China would have to come sooner rather than later. And that would still not fix oil prices either.

A very informed post, thanks for that. So in other words the Russian economy is screwed for the foreseeable future barring a more friendly trade with the west, which would provide some relief. This would explain Putin's endorsement of Trump I suppose.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I like your thread. Great way to make a debut on ATS

There are however a lot of unverified 'facts' in this piece.

Let's start with a list of names if these murdered reporters.

The bad economy is nor actually Putin's, or the price of oils fault per se. It's the economic sanctions that the USA and allies put in place that saw the ruble free fall into oblivion.

And all that was retaliation over Ukraine. The same Ukraine where the truth is about as clear as mud.

The people revolted and wanted to old president gone yes. Then the USA saw opportunity knocking and backed some rather unsavory characters to dorm a new government in the hopes of forming yet another puppet government.

Russia retaliated and took control of Crimea. Then it stirred up a war.

So, is Putin mad and bad?

Not necessarily as much as they say. He acted out of Russia's interests in Ukraine. Something America does all over the planet.

Jump over to Syria and you see a very different leader doing the right thing, vested interest in a military base there or not.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Understand, I don't care what is happening in Russia.You know why? It is not my country. I am old fashioned enough to worry about my own closet before cleaning out my neighbors.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: MartinD28

originally posted by: MrSpad

A very informed post, thanks for that. So in other words the Russian economy is screwed for the foreseeable future barring a more friendly trade with the west, which would provide some relief. This would explain Putin's endorsement of Trump I suppose.

An end to sanctions and a return of Western capital would help but, not solve the real problems like corruption and low oil prices and fixing the defense industry. Putin is trying desperately to be seen as vital to the West in Syria with hopes that will get them to forget about Ukraine and Crimea. That is not likely to happen. To make matters worse to feed its defense budget Russia is cutting medical and educations funding along with Pensions in 2016. That is not going to go over well. And one main avenue of control was the Russian media no longer has the trust of the Russian people. Trying to pretend Russians were not fighting and being killed in Ukraine was stupid in this day and age of the internet and social media even in Russia who has been working to control it.

Putin has his hands full and for Russia even if oil prices spiked and sanctions ended, Russia economy would remain vulnerable to oil prices or the will of the West.

new topics

top topics

join