It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican senator's bipartisan speech on unchecked executive power and more

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Saw this and found it refreshing. Would like to say it is hopeful but I am so very cynical.

This is a republican senator in a speech to congress (tho I think no one is there) and in a very bipartisan way addresses what the legislative body has become with a timeline of sorts. He intends to address the same issue beginning next year in a series of speeches drilling down on history and constitutional issues. The speech is 16 min and says pretty much what all of us know. Congress may never actually see this but if is seen and talked about...could I hope they would here and get a conscious...probably not.

edit on 22-12-2015 by liveandlearn because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-12-2015 by liveandlearn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

But our government do think they are Kings.

We have to ask permission to open a business.

We have to ask permission to protest.

We have to ask permission add a new addition to our homes.

We have to ask permission to go camping.

We have to ask permission to go fishing. I could go on for many pages, but you get the idea.

It is true the government doesn't give us power, we have a god given right.

I like his speech and he is correct, I want to hear more of this.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

Yes, yes and yes to all. In some places you can't even collect water that falls on land you are suppose to own.

And some of those things you mention require permission in the form of a fee (tax).

Hoping I don't miss any of his speeches but more importantly wish they would get out to people who go along with the status quo.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Hoping I don't miss any of his speeches but more importantly wish they would get out to people who go along with the status quo.

I agree.

However the system is so corrupt with back room deals, special interests deals from big Lobbyist and the list goes on.

This is what Capitalism has done with our politions. Most of our politions are bought and paid for by big money.

This is why we are not seeing our Representatives represent We The People.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I cringe everytime I see someone blame capitalism. Since when have we had true capitalism...my point is it has been corrupt for years.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Thank you for posting this - yes, I did watch the whole thing. It was a breath of fresh air in this circus like and endless election season. He makes very good points but I think leaves out a few necessary considerations but as he develops his 'pitch' I hope he will address them.

Well worth the watch.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

A piece in "The Atlantic" on Senator Sasse:

www.theatlantic.com...

I ask if he’s been biting his tongue all year, listening to speeches without giving any of his own. “Oh, for heaven’s sake,” he says. Since he is 99th in seniority, he’s often tasked with presiding over the floor, which in practice means hoping the C-SPAN2 cameras don’t catch him munching on chocolate-covered pretzels while another senator drones away in the otherwise empty chamber. “I sit in this chair all the time, and it just feels like Charlie Brown’s mom talking all the time,” he says.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: GraffikPleasure

Yes, capitalism has been corrupt for so long I doubt any of us were even alive when it went bad. The principle of it was not bad but the results of greed...well, we all know the rest of the story.

FyreByrd

Glad you saw the value. I caught a few things historically that had eluded me. Think this was too short to touch on everything and while he may never make the points you look for I do believe there will be value in the public hearing his words.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I don't like this Senators funding. The biggest contributor to his campaign is listed as 'single issue/idealogical' which I consider scary.

votesmart.org...-o
edit on 22-12-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-12-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: GraffikPleasure

my point is it has been corrupt for years.

I agree it's been corrupted from the beginning.

I cringe everytime I see someone blame capitalism. Since when have we had true capitalism...

I do blame capitalism. Greed is not enough. The fact is, 99% of our politions are bought and paid for by big money.

It is a shame that politions cannot run on their own political Platforms without A Packs and corporate Lobbyist buying them.

Once they have the politions in their pockets, they own and control them. It has now got to the point that our politions are not Representing us.

Example: Passing Legislation without reading them, so they say. In these same Bills there is legislation that are snuck in, Bills that the American people would never approve of.

One only has to look at Obama care to see how well the medical insurance companies made out. The medical Insurance companies are laughing all the way to the Bank.

Whats a few million dollars in donation from giant corporations, attached to all that money are special favors for them.

With Capitalism comes Greed and corruption.

Now if we pass laws that doesn't allow Lobbyist to give money during elections you would see some good changes, however that will never happen.
edit on 22-12-2015 by Informer1958 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Wow, great speech. Where the hell has this guy been hiding??? He might be young and inexperienced in the eyes of many but he blows the hell out of any Republican Candidate running right now.

If the Right actually had some more of these guys speaking for them they might actually get some credibility back.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

I don't like this Senators funding. The biggest contributor to his campaign is listed as 'single issue/idealogical' which I consider scary.

votesmart.org...-o

I guess it depends on what the idealogical single issues are. I looked through a list of repub single issues money for senators and he never came up in the top 20 recipients for any issue. Perhaps it is support from constitutionalists which isn't listed.

I still like him. Besides the amount is less than 20% overall.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

On this issue alone, I think I'll agree with him mostly.

However looking a bit into him I find him very anti-women (he was a major force in trying to defund Planned Parenthood), He is in favor of this 'right to work' crap, 'religious freedom' stuff (both misnomers applied by the right) and - well here's a page of links to his recent speechs and letters:

votesmart.org...

The point is that while I found his speech mostly on point and I hope he gets a decent and widespread hearing, the cynic in me that briefly checked him and his resume out points to someone that is being 'groomed' for 'higher things'. This is his first elected 'gig', he 'raised' over 6 million in his first race and outspent his competitors handsomely. He is an academic and an administrator both of which I admire.

We will just have to see how his 'educational' and 'bi-partisan' speechs pan out.

I don't think it has to be an all or nothing situation. It is possible to agree with people on some things and disagree on others and I think that was the fundamental point he was getting at in this speech. He was talking about substance over tribalism.

Again thanks for posting.
edit on 23-12-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure there was a lot more than politicians being bought in passing Obamacare. Didn't they only have so much time to pass the thing....not to mention EVERY REPUBLICAN voted no to the bill. So it is not like it was bipartisan.

I'm sure we could agree on some things being corrupt through capitalism but not that monstrosity of a bill.

Also, capitalism has never been said to be perfect, just the best we have

new topics

top topics

join