It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Reserve Says State Minimum Wage Hikes Have Cost Up to 200,000 Jobs

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: BatheInTheFountain

I own a real estate brokerage that is involved in individual and commercial sales and resort property management.

Now, how about you? What "business" are you in?

What do you pay your staff? How many do you have? Is it all "in cash"?

What is your own salary in comparison to theirs? Ten times?

Come on now ... fess up.

Wholesale / Retail/Liquidation

Aka...I'm one of those "little guys" you would love to pee on, like your ditch diggers and drywallers you probably employ to improve properties.

Most likely illegal immigrants...

The more you type, the more I get the sense of who I'm dealing with....icky

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: BatheInTheFountain

You have no idea and don't care about who I am. You want to hold yourself out as a "small business" authority when in reality, you just don't seem to be very knowledgeable about how to run a business.

Your posts exhibit the emotional development of a child; here, let me show you ...

''Liquidation" eh? So ... a junk dealer then?"

See, others can play the snide meaningless insult game.

Care to take a turn at actually discussing the facts rather than trying to show how big an ass you can be?

How much do you pay YOUR workers? How does that compare with YOUR takehome? How do you set your employees wages?
edit on 25-12-2015 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Jeez you guys.

I want to hear more information regarding this issue.

Not a pissing contest. Remember where you are at.

Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: crappiekat
Jeez you guys.

I want to hear more information regarding this issue.

Not a pissing contest. Remember where you are at.

Merry Christmas.

Well spoken.

I'll take my own advice and sleep off some of the Christmas feast.

Best all ...

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Well currently full-time minimum wage puts you in the poverty level. So the government makes up for what businesses lack in pay. That is covered by all of us with taxes. So when someone employs someone at current minimum wage, they are a business being subsidized by the government whether they admit it or not.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

So when someone employs someone at current minimum wage, they are a business being subsidized by the government whether they admit it or not.

Not a good argument.
And if someone is unemployed...who is paying their entire ride? At least an employed person is carrying some of their own weight. No, a business is not subsidized by SNAP.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Tell that to Walmart and food stamps.

Oh, we pay you minimum wage, and then because we pay you so little you have to get food stamps... And use them with us. In effect, they're actually paying a lot less than minimum wage.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

So when someone employs someone at current minimum wage, they are a business being subsidized by the government whether they admit it or not.

Not a good argument.
And if someone is unemployed...who is paying their entire ride? At least an employed person is carrying some of their own weight. No, a business is not subsidized by SNAP.

You're right it's not a good argument. It's a PERFECT one, and that is reality. I didn't speak of unemployed so why bring that up?

The government gives you money if your employer doesn't give you enough. It's literally the same thing as a subsidized business, but you don't have to worry about it, good ol' government does.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

In effect, they're actually paying a lot less than minimum wage.

No. They are paying minimum wage to the employee (if it is a minimum wage employee). They are also paying FICA and unemployment taxes (not to mention workers' comp and temporary disability insurance premiums. Their costs are actually more than minimum wage.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

It's literally the same thing as a subsidized business

No. A subsidized business in one in which the government pays the business money, or offers tax reductions.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

That's the responsibility of a business owner.

Plain and simple if you pay someone low enough that they use money I pay in taxes to supplement their income, you received a subsidy.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Plain and simple if you pay someone low enough that they use money I pay in taxes to supplement their income, you received a subsidy.
Plain and simply. No, you don't. Only by convoluted logic can you be considered to be receiving a government subsidy via public assistance.

edit on 12/25/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Did you keep money in your pocket while someone else covered your expense?

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

My expenses are not my employer's business expenses.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Did your employer keep money in their pocket while someone else covered the expense?

(hint, if they pay anyone minimum wage the answer is yes)

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Did your employer keep money in their pocket while someone else covered the expense?

What expense?

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Living expenses? The line set by the Government?

Ok let's break this down so easy a 5 year old can understand it.

A business doesn't have a minimum wage, they have expected profit levels, or commonly known as P&L. A business generates money and profits, and it is required by law to pay it's employees a set minimum wage. The expected profit levels are set by the business itself. Currently the government says a certain level of income is poverty. Full time minimum wage puts you in that category, qualifying you for government assistance. If the business ran at a zero profit level it wouldn't be a subsidy. If a business runs with a profit margin, they are improperly using payroll funds, requiring me to pay taxes to supplement the lack of individual income to not be in poverty.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Living expenses? The line set by the Government?

My living expenses are not my employers expenses. Nor are the "living expenses" of a teenager in high school, living at home, his employer's expenses.

If a business runs with a profit margin, they are improperly using payroll funds, requiring me to pay taxes to supplement the lack of individual income to not be in poverty.
So, you think a profit margin is a bad thing? What do you think the purpose of a business is?

What "payroll funds" are being used improperly? You know that the employer is paying taxes, too, right?

SNAP does not subsidize employers.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I own a business, yes I know.

I don't pay minimum wage and I make profit regardless. My employees don't receive government assistance. If they did I would be benefitting from the government paying them what I dont.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I don't pay minimum wage and I make profit regardless.

Good for you. I guess you should have been paying them more then. Since you were making a profit.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join