It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Reserve Says State Minimum Wage Hikes Have Cost Up to 200,000 Jobs

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

It allows employers to keep money the government gives an individual to SUPPLEMENT their LACK of income.

If that's actually true then there's a simple fix. No SNAP for low income workers thereby forcing their employers to pay more.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

It doesn't work that way unless you force the employers to pay more via minimum wage.
edit on 25-12-2015 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I realize that, but it shows that your belief is incorrect.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

www.dailykos.com...

Not where I live.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation
I realize that, but it shows that your belief is incorrect.

If full-time minimum wage pays above the poverty line how is that? Currently full-time minimum wage puts you in poverty.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

No problem I got you covered. It's gonna cost you $20 a month more, but will be delivered to your doorstep.

Link

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
That isn't even the point in question. SNAP is not why they can pay low. If it was, then getting rid of it would remedy the situation. It's that simple. You keep saying it and it bugged me so I pointed this out.

I don't have the interest to stay in this extremely complicated discussion.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation
That isn't even the point in question. SNAP is not why they can pay low.

You are correct there. SNAP is a RESULT of employers paying low wages.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I'm a business owner, I co-own a small diner type restaurant here in NC. We serve basically American foods, ie hamburgers, hot dogs etc.
First off, owning a business is SUPER expensive and SUPER STRESSFUL.
you have to buy supplies almost daily and at a minimum weekly. We spend about $1,500 a week in supplies. That includes the stuff we make our foods with. I also pay rent, electricity, gas, trash pickup. And dont forget state sales taxes and federal taxes. Federal taxes takes a HUGE chunk of our money, as does payroll. I have 4 cooks who make $7.25/hour, and 3 waitresses who are paid $3.50/hour plus tips. If they dont make a certain amount in tips, I have to pay them $7.25/hour.

If we were to have to pay all of them $8.00-$10.00 an hour, I'd have to close down due to costs.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
The minimum wage issue is just one example the Federal Reserve has weighed in on.

According to Deutsche Bank the actual US Federal Reserve policy concerning interest rates is designed to stall the global economy.

www.bloomberg.com...

This isn't war munitions sent from Jekyll island aboard the Lusitania aimed at the German youth, but it definitely could have a negative effect on our Y,and Z generations.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=20193376]HomerinNC[/
post] how do your waitresses live on that money? I'm in the UK we don't have a tipping culture, so I guess we have to pay more here, but that seems a really low amount. I've waitressed its hard work, seems they deserve more than that.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BatheInTheFountain
Young Millenials especially are CLUELESS on this issue. When will they, and the Leftists of entitlement culture understand that you cannot artificially increase wages with LAW, if economic environment and ability does not and cannot support it.

But it CAN support higher wages. The problem is that it cuts into profits in an culture of corporatism that says that profits must increase x% every year or people get fired.

I remember when companies were happy to make a solid profit and then give their employees a bonus for a job well done. Not just the sales people or the top performers, but EVERYONE.

Business needs to step up and pay a living wage as the minimum wage was intended to do. Yes, there are some businesses that can't afford to pay their employees a living wage, but as long as they can ride out the storm of a few months, money will start flowing in from all sources. Prices could be raised in the meantime, but if you can only make your business profitable on the backs of the poor, then you don't really deserve to be in business.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

You need to redo your business model then. Stop buying food daily, that will run you broke. Find a food vendor you can purchase from. At 1,500 spent weekly on food I estimate your weekly net sales around 5,200 -5,800. Any less you're doing it wrong, any more you are lying. If your sales are that low at a sit down restaurant (you said waitresses and diner so I'm assuming it's a sit-down) You need to pump up your advertising and local area marketing. A slow FAST FOOD joint will do 4,000 - 5,000 a week almost anywhere in the country.

Also, YOU don't pay any state or federal sales tax, the CUSTOMER does, hence the term PLUS TAX. You simply hold it until the end of the month and then write a check to the tax man.

<< 8  9  10   >>

join