It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX makes history with the first orbital rocket landing in history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
SpaceX continues to impress, ATS! Now they've done something never done before by landing an Orbital Rocket. Orbital rockets are powerful rockets which send payloads into Earth orbit and they can travel from thousands to tens of thousand of miles above Earth's surface. This will really open the door for reusable rocket which will pave the way for Space tourism and trips to Mars.

This monumental moment marks a critical milestone that SpaceX has been working toward for years and could pave the way for a new era of spaceflight, which runs on reusable rockets — rockets that can fly more than once.

Five years ago, a maneuver like this was unheard of in the spaceflight industry. But now, SpaceX has done something never attempted before by sending an orbital rocket into space and then bringing it back intact.

Orbital rockets are the most powerful types of rockets because they generate enough speed and power to send payloads into orbit around Earth, hence "orbital" rocket. These orbits can range from thousands to tens of thousands of miles above the surface.

Orbital rockets are key to transporting people to deep space or distant destinations like the moon or Mars.

The crowd at SpaceX headquarters went crazy as the rocket touched down. Here's a picture of the rocket standing upright at the landing site in Cape Canaveral in Florida:

SpaceX is doing it, ATS! All aboard!

finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Our airports will become spaceports
How long will it be before someone
builds a Millennium Falcon
A real one

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I very great accomplishment, congrats to all involved,

At $10 per pound, that means $2,000 for an average male to go into space and sensibly less for a female. When can we expect this to happen? Well, first off after the concept is proven, it needs to grow into a trend – like mentioned earlier, this pricing would be possible if hundreds of flights per year are made using a fleet of reusable rockets.
link

They'd have to pay me a million to rocket me up into orbit but guessing there are heaps of braver souls even in ATS that would gladly pay $2000 for the experience.
edit on 22-12-2015 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   
this is not the first company to try just the first to get it to work.
en.wikipedia.org...
www.youtube.com...

then there was delta clipper
www.youtube.com...

now its SpaceX V2.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
That's amazing, I see this for the first time , I didn't know Elon musk did rocketry?

I think I've seen the most promising spacecraft launched by a corporation. Looking at this it seems virgin and Mars one are massively behind. .

So we've got a cheap ticket to space here in the near future. They should start a crowd funding project to put the first man on Mars, to unchain a new spacerace among government vs private sector space exploration. .

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
They recovered their first stage. The second stage is what took the satellites into orbit.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook
Ok I can't recall anybody detailing the previous attempts, so that's what I'll post about. This is in fact the fourt attempt at a hard landing. It also occurred near the launch site, rather than at sea.

First attempt was in January (Falcon 9 Flight 14):
vine.co/v/OjqeYWWpVWK

Second attempt was in April (Falcon 9 Flight 17):
vine.co/v/euEpIVegiIx
youtu.be/NcTOTeoaafU

Third attempt was in June (Falcon 9 Flight 19) but it exploded before it could even start a controlled-descent.

The latest attempt is Falcon 9 Flight 20. It landed in Cape Canaveral, not far from its launch site. They had another choice of landing at the drone--which is a floating platform--but on the last day decided for the Florida site.

Here's a full list of all ofthe tests using hte Falcon 9 rocket:
en.wikipedia.org - List of Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy launches...

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
What a pretty exciting and awesome company to work for...Well done all those involved. Awesome Job.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
They recovered their first stage. The second stage is what took the satellites into orbit.

The reason they don't try to land the second stage can be found here:
en.wikipedia.org - SpaceX reusable launch system development program...

By late 2014, SpaceX suspended or abandoned the plan to recover and reuse the Falcon 9 second stage;[33] the additional mass of the required heat shield, landing gear, and low-powered landing engines would incur too great a performance penalty.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Amazing SpaceX!

Page one and we haven't yet had an ATSer claimed they faked the Falcon 9 landing, way to go team!

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
Amazing SpaceX!

Page one and we haven't yet had an ATSer claimed they faked the Falcon 9 landing, way to go team!

Just wait for it, it'll happen. It's already happening elsewhere. This board is literally filled with people who believe that rockets do not work in space and that everything space-related that comes out is actually fake.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Seems like an inefficient and dangerous way to do it, having to keep carrying all that fuel for the landing, particularly when there are plenty of other ways to do it.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Page one and we haven't yet had an ATSer claimed they faked the Falcon 9 landing

If you look really close at the footage, you can just make out the cables lowering the rocket down from an unseen black triangle. Don't be duped!

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Seems like an inefficient and dangerous way to do it, having to keep carrying all that fuel for the landing, particularly when there are plenty of other ways to do it.

It doesn't take much fuel to get it back. Once a rocket is low on fuel, the acceleration increases since it's mostly empty and you're hauling less mass. Combine with the fact that it flies back without having to carry the heavy second stage and payload on top and it really doesn't take much to do the job so it's not all that inefficient. I do worry about the possible debris hazard if they should have to use the range safety system late in the boostback phase, but other than that the risk is pretty confined to the Cape area and is evacuated anyway.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Page one and we haven't yet had an ATSer claimed they faked the Falcon 9 landing

If you look really close at the footage, you can just make out the cables lowering the rocket down from an unseen black triangle. Don't be duped!

No.. your completely wrong...

They just replayed the footage of the rocket taking off backwards so it looks like it's landing...

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon

No.. your completely wrong...

They just replayed the footage of the rocket taking off backwards so it looks like it's landing...

See? I knew it wouldn't be long. Here they are. Unbelievable. Do you not realize how many thousands of people witnessed it first hand last night from the space coast?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
It's started on youtube as well.

edit on 22-12-2015 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Really exciting stuff, can't wait to see his plans for the MCT architecture (Mars Colonial Transporter).

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

This is my first ever bump on ATS! I wasn't aware of this until now. Amazing achievement.

new topics

top topics

join