It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligence genes discovered by scientists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Here's more:

Genes which make people intelligent have been discovered and scientists believe they could be manipulated to boost brain power.

Researchers have believed for some time that intellect is inherited with studies suggesting that up to 75 per cent of IQ is genetic, and the rest down to environmental factors such as schooling and friendship groups.

But until now, nobody has been able to pin-point exactly which genes are responsible for better memory, attention, processing speed or reasoning skills.

“Our research suggests that it might be possible to work with these genes to modify intelligence"
Dr Michael Johnson, Imperial College London

Now Imperial College London has found that two networks of genes determine whether people are intelligent or not-so-bright.

They liken the gene network to a football team. When all the players are in the right positions, the brain appears to function optimally, leading to clarity of thought and what we think of as quickness or cleverness.

However when the genes are mutated or in the wrong order, it can lead to dullness of thinking, or even serious cognitive impairments.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

With gene therapy, cloning and designer babies, I can see a race of Einsteins might be in our future. When you look at the research in this area, manupulation of genes and doing things like deleting genes is becoming easier and easier.

All of these technologies like gene therapy, gene editing, cloning, quantum computers, artificial intelligence, 3D printing, nanotechnology and the internet of things seem to be on a collision course with the singularity.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

S & F, great find OP. Interesting stuff to say the least

They analysed thousands of genes expressed in the human brain, and then combined the results with genetic information from healthy people who had undergone IQ tests and from people with neurological disorders such as autism spectrum disorder and intellectual disability.

Remarkably, they found that some of the same genes that influence human intelligence in healthy people were also the same genes that cause impaired cognitive ability and epilepsy when mutated, networks which they called M1 and M3

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

However when the genes are mutated or in the wrong order, it can lead to dullness of thinking, or even serious cognitive impairments.

My interpretation of this is that it's not an "intelligence gene", it's just a gene which plays a very crucial role in the way our brain develops and if it's mutated or damaged then our ability to learn can be negatively impacted. Two identical twins with essentially the same genes can easily grow up to have completely different levels of intelligence depending on their experiences growing up. Almost anyone has the ability to learn complex subjects, it just takes determination and dedication.
edit on 21/12/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Pleeeease not a race of "einsteins" tho.

:/

Or anyone ELSE.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

My interpretation of this is that it's not an "intelligence gene", it's just a gene which plays a very crucial role in the way our brain develops and if it's mutated or damaged then our ability to learn can be negatively impacted. Two identical twins with essentially the same genes can easily grow up to have completely different levels of intelligence depending on their experiences growing up. Almost anyone has the ability to learn complex subjects, it just takes determination and dedication.

No, it's an intelligence gene(s). Your interpretation doesn't really count. It's what the Researchers behind the study are saying.

“We know that genetics plays a major role in intelligence but until now haven’t known which genes are relevant,” said Dr Michael Johnson, lead author of the study from the Department of Medicine at Imperial College.

“This research highlights some of genes involved in human intelligence, and how they interact with each other.

“Our research suggests that it might be possible to work with these genes to modify intelligence"
Dr Michael Johnson, Imperial College London

You have to read the article. In most cases, it takes hard work and environmental factors to determine how these things play out but if your genes are aligned in this way you have a much better chance and your intelligence increases vs. those who have these genes muddled. Here's more:

They liken the gene network to a football team. When all the players are in the right positions, the brain appears to function optimally, leading to clarity of thought and what we think of as quickness or cleverness.

Scientists believe that there must be a ‘master switch’ regulating the networks and if they could find it, they could ‘switch on’ intelligence for everyone.

Again, this is just genectics.

If two twins have the same genes ordered in the same way they will not have dullness of thinking or have significant cognitive impairments. Of course they will be different but they will both be intelligent. One may be a Dr. and the other might be a petty thief but both will be intelligent.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Not worth it

I'm a progressive futurist who loves science. Who loves moving forward with science.

I look forward to new reports on where this goes and how it's used.
edit on 21-12-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Two things come to mind - Flowers for Algernon by Keyes, and Brain Child by George Turner.

Brain Child deals with this pretty directly - the government takes research just like this and creates genius intellects in some test tube kids, one of many problems being that no-one can exactly decide what "intelligent" or "genius" means. So they take all the gene mods they know to the absolute limit and create four types of genius. They think.

One group turns itself off in utero. The other three develop into genius engineers, genius artists and genius thinkers. In the end, it turns out that any intellect that is too far outside the average is too out of place to survive. Only the engineer group can be understood at all, and them just barely.

It turns into a sort of combat between the humans and the genius engineers on one side and the artists and thinkers on the other. Very entertaining.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Omg, baiting comment.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

I would go along with that.
And I'd also add that its not so easy to define intelligence within humans.

A recent study on the IQ test, which hasn't changed for near on a century, found many problems with it.
To use one of their examples-
Would we consider a nuclear physicist of having high IQ?
If I could not do the work that the physicist is doing, then according to the way the IQ testing is done, that would imply that I am not so smart.

Would we consider an airline pilot of high IQ?
Again if I could not do the job then I am not so smart.

And yet they found that neither the physicist or the pilot (real people tested) could do the other guys job! and it wasn't because of a lack of training or education, it was just that their two minds worked differently.

According to the test that implies they are both less smart than the other!
Not a very smart test!

I think being smart is very much down to growing in an environment that stimulates, rather than the oppression that most of us find ourselves placed in.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Delete post
edit on 21-12-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Chinese are beginning a process of allowing people to change and up their genetics. It'll get better once it starts as well. This isn't for offspring, its gene therapy.

And of course is it alright to do. Of course. But we're going to have to do some catch ups, or we'll be left behind.

We need to increase intelligence without going AI.

Violence needs to drop.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Yes but its a way to let everyone know you dont like christians. You left a one or two sentence comment about not letting the "morality police" see it. Come on. Nothing anyone says like that is "just a comment" because its more like... a strong opinion.

edit on 21-12-2015 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Your interpretation doesn't really count.

Ah ok, I forgot my opinion means nothing, thanks for reminding me.

Here's more:

Once again this can be interpreted exactly as I stated. If the gene isn't ordered properly then it wont function at full capacity as it was intended. Its like a football player who has his muscle genes damaged, obviously he wont be able to perform at the same level as other football players. I honestly thought we had moved past this naive idea of an intelligence gene a long time ago but clearly I was mistaken.

If two twins have the same genes ordered in the same way they will not have dullness of thinking or have significant cognitive impairments. Of course they will be different but they will both be intelligent. One may be a Dr. and the other might be a petty thief but both will be intelligent.

A doctor is clearly going to have a higher level of intelligence compared to a person who knows nothing except thieving. Just the act of learning complex topics such as biology or pharmacology will enhance your ability to think about other complicated topics. After learning to program in several different languages I can now think about other logic problems much more easily and my thought patterns are generally much more complicated. It's the process of exercising your brain which causes one to be smart. You don't get strong arms without lifting weights regularly, and you don't get a strong brain muscle if you don't actually use it. Sure genetics plays some role in how efficiently our brain can learn new information, but there is no gene you can isolate and say is responsible for intelligence, it's clearly much more complicated than that.
edit on 21/12/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Oh my,

Flowers for Algernon was required reading in High school.

That just brought back some memories. I haven't thought about that in decades.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Just marry a Jewish or an Asian girl and save the money on gene therapy.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit

What is a jewish girl and where do i find it

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: breakingbs
Yes but its a way to let everyone know you dont like christians. You left a one or two sentence comment about not letting the "morality police" see it. Come on. Nothing anyone says like that is "just a comment" because its more like... a strong opinion.

Are you reading a different thread or something?

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
This study seems to fall in line with other research currently being done in the fields of genetics and neuroscience. Although it doesn’t identify any specific control mechanism through which to easily define/manipulate an ideal genetic configuration for maximum cognitive expression, it does show progress in establishing tighter parameters associating the configuration of certain groups/families of genes with specifically targeted traits (intelligence, in this case). On and on we go, each new day placing another brick in the wall...

From things I’ve read in recent years, I’m getting more and more open to the idea that perhaps the first spark of conscious awareness came as an emergent property of matter under certain very specific conditions and configurations. I think we’re a long way from truly understanding just what those conditions are. If there’s any truth to the idea, though, it would probably be dangerous in Human hands. Max Tegmark (MIT) and colleagues submitted a paper on the subject to the arXiv.org site a year or 2 ago entitled, Consciousness as a State of Matter, for anyone interested.

I didn’t intend to get so carried away. The main reason for my post was to respond to neoholographic’s comment,

”All of these technologies like gene therapy, gene editing, cloning, quantum computers, artificial intelligence, 3D printing, nanotechnology and the internet of things seem to be on a collision course with the singularity.”

To me, that statement is what strikes me the most. Not only are we on a collision course, but it’s gonna be a big one, with BIG consequenses. I hope we’re ready for it.

Good thread...

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: breakingbs

Are you reading a different thread or something?

I changed my original post and deleted the second.

It wasn't worth going "there".

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Come on. Dont #. Person deleted comment.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join