It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is it like being libertarian and being surrounded by neo-cons and leftists?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Everyone knee jerks at some point.

& I think it does a disservice to left and right to generalise their stance as such.

Some recent knee jerk bi-lateral travesties are the Patriot Act, bank and automotive bailouts.

Don't forget the 'Affordable Care Act', and it's data hub.

Big brother now has all your medical records, and financial information tied to DHS.
edit on 21-12-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ghostrager
I just don't see your example applying to Libertarians. The reason being that their beliefs spread considerably into both the left and right wing.

If you were to take the marginal difference on political stances in democrats or republicans, it would neglible. That cannot be said for Libertarians, their stances spread out considerably and consistently change from each election year to the next.

They'll put individual freedom as a primary objective but have different views, convictions and methods in implementing those freedoms.

That's because you're on that side of things. But here's the best example and clearest one possible that can't be denied.

If what I'm saying wasn't true, this very OP wouldn't have happened would it???

The OP's whole point with this post is about exactly what I'm saying when he used the example of everyone thinking Libertarians are just pot smoking conservatives. That my friend is painting with a wide brush. So while you don't see it happening, it's happening. Your fellow Libertarian who made this post sees it just fine.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Yes, but you're missing the caveat. I never agreed with the OP's stance, I only sympathized with it in a broad spectrum.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

Why even bother labeling yourself as Libertarian in the first place. That's the whole reason there is always fighting between "Left Label" and "Right Label". If everyone would start seeing each other as individuals who don't typically fit a single label we might just get something done correctly.

The problem is that when you label yourself Libertarian you've now made yourself into an easy target along with anyone who also identifies as Libertarian. All label do is make the depth of who you are and what you believe in into a shallow sound bite version of what a Libertarian is based on someone's opinion. That's what has happened to the left and right. But not many people fit perfectly within those labels. Most people are a mix of different opinions but as long as you can identify anyone as a label it reduces them into a shallow sound bite version of themselves.

I am not a libertarian. They just share a lot of my views that's all.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Yes, but you're missing the caveat. I never agreed with the OP's stance, I only sympathized with it in a broad spectrum.

Ok. Then I guess you'll just have to keep believing that you're the only one who can see and the rest of us are blind. Just forget about the fact that we see the same thing and you're standing alone.

Keep in mind I'm not saying that using a broad brush is correct. It's not. That's the point. Saying that others paint Libertarians all the same doesn't mean that doing so is valid or correct. But that certainly doesn't stop others from doing it and even more believing it. We do it all the time when we paint blonds as dumb, Conservatives as War Mongers, Liberals as hippies, whites as rednecks, blacks as thugs, Football Players as Meat Heads, etc. etc. There is no end to it.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Then I guess you'll just have to keep believing that you're the only one who can see and the rest of us are blind

There's really no need for personal attacks.

Keep in mind I'm not saying that using a broad brush is correct. It's not. That's the point. Saying that others paint Libertarians all the same doesn't mean that doing so is valid or correct. But that certainly doesn't stop others from doing it and even more believing it. We do it all the time when we paint blonds as dumb, Conservatives as War Mongers, Liberals as hippies, whites as rednecks, blacks as thugs, Football Players as Meat Heads, etc. etc. There is no end to it.

You can summarize groups on their collective actions (with the exception of your strawman; blacks, blondes, and football players) if the data is overwhelmingly consistent, which it tends to be in regards to how democrats and republicans vote.

If you couldn't, we wouldn't have a two party system.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

There's really no need for personal attacks.

I didn't mean it to sound like an attack. Sorry if it came across that way.

You can summarize groups on their collective actions (with the exception of your strawman; blacks, blondes, and football players) if the data is overwhelmingly consistent, which it tends to be in regards to how democrats and republicans vote.

If you couldn't, we wouldn't have a two party system.

Ok. I guess we'll just have to disagree in this case then. But as long as you find it acceptable to generalize them, then they'll also find it acceptable to generalize you as well.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Finding out if a person is libertarian is pretty easy.

If they are for massive government use of force your not a libertarian.
If your for government being used to punish people that you don't like your not a libertarian.
Libertarians are for...

-individual freedoms over collective safety.
-individual rights over government rights.
-no taxes(unless its a local sales tax to support social services)
-no victimless crime
-legal drugs.
-decentralized government.
-states rights over federal government's rights.
edit on 21-12-2015 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: changed stuff

edit on 21-12-2015 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: added content

edit on 21-12-2015 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: left out words

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

I'm a Pro Choice, Agnostic, Pro Gay Marriage Libertarian. It sucks. I feel like I'm an island.

Neo- Cons to the Right. Loony Liberals to the Left.

Although I do side more with "Conservatives" because Liberals/Democrats/Progressives have lost their collective minds and enough is enough. I seriously cannot stomach 'The Left" anymore.

edit on 21-12-2015 by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BatheInTheFountain

There should be a libertarian channel on TV. Maybe a streaming tv channel.

edit on 21-12-2015 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: spelling

edit on 21-12-2015 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: edited out stuff

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: John_Rodger_Cornman
What is it like being libertarian and being surrounded by neo-cons and leftists?

Probably the same as being an intelligent sane Loving person, surrounded by religious conservative Republikkkans!
Nah, I retract that. In my experience, Libertarians aren't really much different than the Republikkkans...
edit on 21-12-2015 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: BatheInTheFountain

I'm a Pro Choice, Agnostic, Pro Gay Marriage Libertarian. It sucks. I feel like I'm an island.

Neo- Cons to the Right. Loony Liberals to the Left.

Although I do side more with "Conservatives" because Liberals/Democrats/Progressives have lost their collective minds and enough is enough. I seriously cannot stomach 'The Left" anymore.

I'm right there with you (except I don't think ANY marriage should be sanctioned, or not by a government).

I got called a Classic, Paleo Liberal by a friend the other day. I didn't hate the notion, but "Liberal" would suggest a bent towards the collective that I cannot stomach.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Ummm...it really sucks...half the woolly flock stumps in circles on two left feet and the other half on two right feet...

Always going around in opposing circles...kinda fun to watch...but it gets old...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
What is it like being a libertarian ?

That would be letting the Republicans and Democrats fight it out between themselves.

Then step over the bodies after they get done.

Easy Answer.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Charlie ---- I so have an ATS crush on you.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Why not both?

Pro-choice for the mother. Pro-life for baby. Keep the state out of it. Prevent the government from funding abortion while allowing it.

We need a definition of what is life so we can properly categorize abortion as murder or not.

This definition has no be rational and based on science.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I find this is the path of the conservative through life:

1. Anarchism

2. Libertarian

3. Republican

They tend to be fiery when young, and slowly cool down into old age. The same thing is seen on the left side of the spectrum though.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: John_Rodger_Cornman

Like being in a room full of blind people and you're the only one who can see.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I broke the mold, then:

1. Liberal

2. Conservative

3. Libertarian (because both parties are wrong about freedoms and government power)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I'll never be a republican.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join