It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is it like being libertarian and being surrounded by neo-cons and leftists?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
What is it like being libertarian and being surrounded by neo-cons and leftists?

All the neo-cons think libertarians are crazy pot smokers.Its like there is nothing more to libertarianism than just legalizing drugs. Frame no good. All the leftists think you are just conservative-lite. Its just creepy seeing the leftists and the neo-cons not get that there are more political ideologies than just left and right. Anyone else felt that before?

Neocons complain that the media and hollywood are dominated by leftists.It is. What about us libertarians? Where's our foxnews? Where's our clear channel? We don't have any in the US to my knowledge.

Is RT and TheBlaze libertarian? That is premium cable/SATTV or subscription online streaming.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

As a conservative leaning libertarian who is also agnostic, it never ends.

Problem is, everyone seems to believe that there are only two sides. And they'd have an aneurysm if they had to contemplate an issue from two perspectives and come to the conclusion that both are right.

The only solution I've found is to enjoy poking people with a stick and watching them try to settle on a belief just because they find comfort in it.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

Yeah it gets annoying at times.

Seeing the left and right battle on who can "out-government" each other.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: John_Rodger_Cornman

Neocons complain that the media and hollywood are dominated by leftists.It is. What about us libertarians? Where's our foxnews? Where's our clear channel? We don't have any in the US to my knowledge.

You want your own media, start it up. Don't expect anyone else to do it for you. You want a handout? A subsidy? The reason it's not there now is because you're not a big enough force to bother with.
edit on 12/21/2015 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Too many labels and you have to fit in one.

I don't like that only Liberals are allowed to care about the environment and that only conservatives are for gun rights.

We can't you be a conservative who's an environmentalist or a liberal gun owner?

I don't like all the labels. But most people seem to willingly fall into the labelled group willingly? Meaning if they really believe in gun ownership, they will call themselves a republican and support environmental actions on the sly, anonymously. Or self identify as a democrat and jump on the environmental issues, but won't tell any of their liberal friends that they own guns.

How do we break free of this?

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Why even bother labeling yourself as Libertarian in the first place. That's the whole reason there is always fighting between "Left Label" and "Right Label". If everyone would start seeing each other as individuals who don't typically fit a single label we might just get something done correctly.

The problem is that when you label yourself Libertarian you've now made yourself into an easy target along with anyone who also identifies as Libertarian. All label do is make the depth of who you are and what you believe in into a shallow sound bite version of what a Libertarian is based on someone's opinion. That's what has happened to the left and right. But not many people fit perfectly within those labels. Most people are a mix of different opinions but as long as you can identify anyone as a label it reduces them into a shallow sound bite version of themselves.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

The problem is that when you label yourself Libertarian you've now made yourself into an easy target along with anyone who also identifies as Libertarian.

Libertarians are anything but 'easy targets'. I'm much more hesitant in debating with a libertarian than I am with a republican or democrat because they've consciously thought out their beliefs and don't subscribe to a dogma.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ghostrager
Libertarians are anything but 'easy targets'. I'm much more hesitant in debating with a libertarian than I am with a republican or democrat because they've consciously thought out their beliefs and don't subscribe to a dogma.

That's not what I mean.

For example, let's say a bunch of people who are Labeled as Libertarians do something stupid for some reason on the political stage. Could be anything that gets media attention that's negative. Well, now Libertarians will be painted in a certain way and anyone else with that label will automatically be painted with them. So before anyone even hears them speak or what they have to say, regardless of how intelligent it may be, everyone first sees them as they've been painted first.

The examples of this go for every label there is out there. Everyone is painted with whatever negative attributes belong to whatever label they're put in. You see what I mean???

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Because the libertarian channel would get no ratings lol.

Hard to stir up fear and hysteria when the talking heads are using logic instead of emotion.

We used to have judge napolitano till he got axed. Wonder why?

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Neocons complain that the media and hollywood are dominated by leftists

Did someone miss that neocon leftist that bombed Libya, and arms terrorists in the middle east, and drug deals down mexico way?

Did someone miss all the WAR movies, and shootem ups made by the hollywood leftists ?

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I think you would have to define Libertarian.

There are many "true" Libertarians out there, but the majority I come in contact with are just disgruntled Republicans that call themselves Libertarians because they believe the GOP is not extreme enough in their views. They believe the GOP has sold-out to the Left.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I know what your saying, but Libertarians are the "Wild West" of politics. Perhaps the only thing we have in common is our disdain for the two party system. There isn't a brush out there than can make one stroke and speak for the majority of Libertarians as a whole.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
How about just growing a pair, OP?
Know right and wrong and then, stand on one side or the other?
I know, I know. Your life shouldn't be drawn or dragged into reality. Because you're a "free thinker ". ... I get it.

Then you have "ghostrager" who threw out they're "agnostic". Because that's means anything to anyone, politically?
But it made a statement, right?

Your "question". Could be asked of you. Unless you're willing to explain yourself or answer your own question....

It doesn't seem worth an answer.

Because it sounds more like a statement, not so much, as a question.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22
How about just growing a pair, OP?
Know right and wrong and then, stand on one side or the other?
I know, I know. Your life shouldn't be drawn or dragged into reality. Because you're a "free thinker ". ... I get it.

Then you have "ghostrager" who threw out they're "agnostic". Because that means anything to anyone, politically?
But it made a statement, right?

Your "question". Could be asked of you. Unless you're willing to explain yourself or answer your own question....

It doesn't seem worth an answer.

Because it sounds more like a statement, not so much, as a question.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
First, Libertarians can be Left or Right or even Central, depending on the topic...

So they fit the same spectrum you're trying to annihilate.

Secondly, most "Libertarians" on ATS are just conservatives and you can see that in their rhetoric.

Do you know how many self proclaimed Libertarians on ATS are staunchly pro-Life...
Some of them are staunchly pro choice...

Libertarians are as divided a group as any because self proclaimed Libertarians take up all 3 positions on any given subject.

Now hit me with a No True Libertarian fallacy.
Then go and tell that to all the conservatives who play Libertarian in one thread and WarHawk Neo con in the next.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Libertarians are as divided a group as any because self proclaimed Libertarians take up all 3 positions on any given subject.

Being a Libertarian requires some discipline because you need to avoid the knee jerk emotional reaction which drives both the right and left to continue to erode our rights.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ghostrager
I know what your saying, but Libertarians are the "Wild West" of politics. Perhaps the only thing we have in common is our disdain for the two party system. There isn't a brush out there than can make one stroke and speak for the majority of Libertarians as a whole.

That's exactly what I'm saying. To you Libertarians are group with a wide range of ideas. Do you think anyone else sees their party affiliation any different???

I mean right now Trump is the Face of the Republican Party the world sees, but is that accurate?? No. But it doesn't matter. You can paint any group like their worst members with media bias.

Take the Atheist Label for a perfect example. All an Atheist has in common with other Atheists is that they don't believe in a God or Deity. That's it. Atheists have absolutely nothing else in common with other Atheists by default other than that one thing. But ask anyone what Atheists Believe and they'll rattle off all kinds of stuff they hear. But the fact is Atheists don't have a common belief other than that one thing. It doesn't mean they also believe in evolution or anything else. That's just how labeling works.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Everyone knee jerks at some point.

& I think it does a disservice to left and right to generalise their stance as such.

Two Party politics might be a sham for all we know...
But I hear valid arguments from both using logic mostly.

Add to that, my only point was to suggest that Libertarians fit left centre and right depending on the subject.

The philosophy of Civil liberties don't disappear when you lean left or right...

They're just non-existent depending on the jerkwad with the ballot slip and pen.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Everyone knee jerks at some point.

& I think it does a disservice to left and right to generalise their stance as such.

Some recent knee jerk bi-lateral travesties are the Patriot Act, bank and automotive bailouts.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I just don't see your example applying to Libertarians. The reason being that their beliefs spread considerably into both the left and right wing.

If you were to take the marginal difference on political stances in democrats or republicans, it would neglible. That cannot be said for Libertarians, their stances spread out considerably and consistently change from each election year to the next.

They'll put individual freedom as a primary objective but have different views, convictions and methods in implementing those freedoms.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join