It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taking Turns While Communicating May Be Older Than Language Itself

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I actually laughed out loud when I read the title of this article. I had just finished watching an online blogger invite a semi-popular youtube host on for a life debate, and the person they invited did pretty much the exact opposite of what apparently has been a trait within human nature for thousands upon thousands of years: Taking turns.

It was actually physically disturbing to watch someone so blindly infringe on basic debating etiquette, and just raise their voice and talk faster every time the opposition even breathed. Unfortunately, this tendency is seen far too often in arguments, leading to a pointless debate because nothing is really said except one person's opinion (more often than not, an opinion derived from unsubstantiated supposition)

The pattern of communicating in short turns in rapid alternation during conversations may have evolved before language, according to Stephen Levinson of the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics. He has reviewed research on how modern humans listen and prepare a spoken response—it takes about 200 milliseconds on average to respond to one another, but it takes about 600 milliseconds to prepare a word for delivery, implying that people have to begin preparing a response while listening to the current speaker.

Levinson notes that this is a pattern found across unrelated cultures and languages, and that infants begin taking turns in interactions at about six months of age, before they can speak. As language skills develop, however, infant turn-taking slows down as they struggle to master more complex language structures and speak rapidly. Levinson thinks that human ancestors may have taken turns gesturing to each other, as the great apes do, before they began communicating through the vocal channel some one million years ago.

Source

So the next time a person crams their opinionated rubbish in your face while they interrupt every word you're saying, not only is it a sign that they have nothing to actually provide to the conversation that holds any validity, and so they talk over you in order to 'win' the debate - No, no, it's much worse - it shows that they simply haven't caught up with the rest of humanity itself.

Feel free to let people know about this information if you ever catch them in the act. I know I will

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I can't stand people that will not let me finish a sentence before they butt in. I have dumped girlfriends over this issue. Take your rude-ass diarrhea-mouth somewhere else.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Good grief!

That pretty much sums up every single in-law I have.

Don't think I'll be mentioning this little nugget over the holidays. lol

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Please pass the Peace Pipe...

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Ummm...things that make you go...DUH...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen
Please pass the Peace Pipe...

Make sure to ALWAYS pass to your right. lol

Crap....I forgot!

Is it to the left or the right?

It's been awhile I suppose.

edit on 21-12-2015 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

top topics

join