It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any one else part of the 3D printer club?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
~I brought my self one of these from XYZ.

Dam its alot of fun. My baby has been going none stops for the last 6 weeks making models.

Its addictive too. Already saving up for a SLA printer.

But even my basic filament printers pretty neat. Going to modify it a bit, maybe ad a extra fan and fit a aluminium heat bed.

One thing though is they do require a lot of care and maintenance.

Anyone else here got a 3d printer?

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I'd like to get one, but programming it or creating files sounds like a drastic learning curve.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Dam its alot of fun. My baby has been going none stops for the last 6 weeks making models.

But even my basic filament printers pretty neat. Going to modify it a bit, maybe ad a extra fan and fit a aluminium heat bed.

I am waiting for them to become mainstream in price, I have paid stupid money for things too many times now!

£220 for a 2x cd burner back in the day, £500 for a.8mp camera, 1200 for a digital camcorder.

I will wait until you can pick one up in argos for £80 although I am pretty envious right now.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phibes
I'd like to get one, but programming it or creating files sounds like a drastic learning curve.

Get a XYZ printer. It very basic and comes with its own simple to use software. It basically plug and play.

And later as you get more experience you can hack it like I have and get better software and mod it out.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I am waiting for them to become mainstream in price, I have paid stupid money for things too many times now!

£220 for a 2x cd burner back in the day, £500 for a.8mp camera, 1200 for a digital camcorder.

I will wait until you can pick one up in argos for £80 although I am pretty envious right now.

I dunno if you will get it lower than £400. I was pretty amazed to pick mine up from Maplin for £550 as they are not simple machines and use a lot of copper.

I know some people who have built a 3D printer themselves for under £200.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

that is not really a bad price; I need (not really) another toy

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Lol. I'm the kind of guy who cannot even figure out photo shop, let alone 3d modeling.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
its the size for me,i need a printer that can print boats or replacement car body panels or designer furniture,i need these to get way bigger ,they can change the world if they scale these up but to me at this size its just not good enough,i must say though op thats the cheapest link i have seen to the 3d print world ,i've also seen people scaling their 3d printers up i'd like a 20feet by 15 feet one then i would be happy

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
They ought to invent a device that strips waste into its individual materials to be reused via 3d printing. It would revolutionize recycling.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Waiting for the tech to improve and for better "ink" to be available, I'm waiting for more advances with a graphene based "ink" as the potential uses for 3d printers using graphene are really great being able to print off circuit boards and other electronic components and much stronger parts currently, but the tech needs improving it's still in its infancy

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I dunno if you will get it lower than £400. I was pretty amazed to pick mine up from Maplin for £550 as they are not simple machines and use a lot of copper.

I am not looking at anytime in the next 5 years or so to be honest, although they look fun they are still in there infancy.

I have a cad controlled vinyl cutter and if anything will look at building a kit form cnc router engraver next year as it has a more usefull purpose.

Have you been able to use it for anything other than fun yet? Not that I am saying that is a bad thing, I just like to treat tools as something usefull and I cannot really see the appeal right now.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien
its the size for me,i need a printer that can print boats or replacement car body panels or designer furniture,i need these to get way bigger ,they can change the world if they scale these up but to me at this size its just not good enough,i must say though op thats the cheapest link i have seen to the 3d print world ,i've also seen people scaling their 3d printers up i'd like a 20feet by 15 feet one then i would be happy

I have to agree on that, it needs a practical real world purpose to be worth the investment.

I seem to remember a chinese company that was looking at a huge one that could build houses but that may have been a hoax.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I am not looking at anytime in the next 5 years or so to be honest, although they look fun they are still in there infancy.

I have a cad controlled vinyl cutter and if anything will look at building a kit form cnc router engraver next year as it has a more usefull purpose.

Have you been able to use it for anything other than fun yet? Not that I am saying that is a bad thing, I just like to treat tools as something usefull and I cannot really see the appeal right now.

Printed a few holders and storage devices.

Though I brought it primarly to build models so it been more for a hobby which was what it was meant for to beguin with.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

No it's real

Watch this giant 3D printer build a house

General Electric also use 3d printing to build turbines, so there's definitely a future but right now for personal use unless you're an engineer it's more a gimmick than anything

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Printed a few holders and storage devices.

Though I brought it primarly to build models so it been more for a hobby which was what it was meant for to beguin with.

I feel a pic's or it diddn't happen moment coming on here

I used to love painting citadel minatures and creating diorama's so if anything I would be looking to use one for that kind of thing although cannot justify that financially right now.

new topics

top topics

join