It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Your Rights. Where do They Come From?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 05:03 AM

originally posted by: ghostrager
a reply to: intrepid

"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" was in our Declaration of Independence.

These are considered "unalienable rights" bestowed to us by a creator and that a government should protect them.

That really worked well for the slaves!

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 05:13 AM
Doesn’t matter were you are. USA, UK, China or North Korea.

Rights are granted by the man in charge and the man in charge in the one with the biggest gun and most money.

You just have to hope you live in a country were the man in charge is not a complete douche bag.

For Americans ask yourself why you have the US constitution? Because France and the continental army had more guns than the British and the French had more money in 1776.
edit on 21-12-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:35 AM
It seems to me that in a situation where an individual is the only person around, you can do what ever it is you are capable of doing. Might makes right more or less. You can do what ever you can do but there will be consequences of your actions esp. when someone or something else is involved.

Go a head and do what you will but ultimately you must face the consequences of any act. Should you do anything you are capable of doing is another question. You will either face the consequences during your life time, when you go to meet your maker, or nothing will come of it at all. Action - reaction, all in accordance with the situation. People do dangerous and stupid crap all the time, your luck will only last so long before it catches up with you.

Humans are not physically capable of flying the way birds do, but you are able to jump off a cliff and flap your arms, however, you will probably fall to your death. Flying like a bird, as if you had wings, is one thing that is not endowed by our creator, but you can give it a try and see what happens. Regardless of laws and rights, you are free to try anything but it doesn't mean you have the ability to actually do it.

I would agree that because you are alive and can live, it is self evident as a fact, however, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are dependent on your personal situation IMO because you are only naturally capable of doing a limited amount of things based on your "God given" abilities. Morality is another issue I should think, and that is where "rights" come in to play. You are always free to make choices with your "free will" regardless of any laws or rights unless you are somehow prevented from the exercise of said will.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:27 AM
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I had a whole reply typed up...but I think I can just say everything in two meme images

It would be a pity if people thought the Islamic reference in my post was the point of it, or even mostly the point of it.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:28 AM
a reply to: ghostrager

In 1851 with the country's bankruptcy, the Constitution was suspended and with it, The Bill of Rights.

When were the Constitution and Bill of Rights fully reinstated? By today's chaotic constitutional climate, it feels that nothing has been reinstated.

Also of interest, is the Dick Act of 1902. * grin * tho amusing title, it is serious business and speaks to gun control being illegal. Worthy of a looksee.

I have the right to breathe. Everything else is sadly questionable.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:47 AM

Late to the game on responses, here, but I would say that rights are anything that you would be able to do in order to live and thrive if you lived alone in the wilderness.

Where government should be able to limit those is where they begin to infringe on other people's ability to do the same as you. Therefore, you can't steal, you can't kill a human being, etc.

Of course, as most of us would agree, the farther we move away from living alone in the wilderness, the more the government tells us we don't have this or that right to do something.

I know that my answer is vague and generic, but the right to live and survive alone is where our natural rights come from (or as some call them, God-given rights).

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 11:27 AM
Rights are not "granted" unless they are, in actuality, privileges which can be revoked by the supposed authority that granted them .

The constitution for or of the United States of Amerikka does not grant anyone rights, it protects people's inherent rights that they were born with from being infringed upon by government and people who are supposedly in positions of power and authority.

It is all in the wording, and how the lawyers, which are officers of the state and criminal justice cabal twist them into things other than their intended meaning, and juries of stupid serfs who have no clue about anything at all for the most part allow the courts to set precedent and determine outcomes by cherry picking those precedents.

The system does not really work.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>