It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Rights. Where do They Come From?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I've heard about this from many people. Mostly from the US. Is this a set up? Oh hell yeah. Logic is coming.

So who grants these rights and are they exclusive to America? Let it be known that I saw Carlin's last.

Why do you have any given "rights"?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Good question.

In all honesty, rights are something we pretty much made-up.

Glad someone thought if it, though. I sure do like my rights.
edit on 20-12-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Should be watched:

THEN let's discuss this. Logic there. Not disagreeing with you.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

What is a right?

And to whom?

And when.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Carlin always says it like it is

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Read the Declaration of Independence and you get:

that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Now, I don't even believe in "The Creator," but I understand where they were coming from here. They were trying to say that "rights" transcend the people making them up because if you say people made them up, then they can make up anything, and YOUR idea of what constitutes my rights means nothing compared to MY idea of what constitutes my rights. After all, "we all put our pants on the same way" and all that. So it was an attempt to "step up" the conversation beyond a bar room brawl argument.

The problem is that basing rights on simple consensus is a dangerous way to go because "the crowd" can be made to believe anything. If we were to place gun rights to a consensus these days, a whole lot of people would vote "No" and be completely self-righteous about it believing they were taking the moral high ground. It's only because we have several generations of gun rights implanted in our history that there are enough people to ensure these rights are maintained, even though they have been eroded by governments large and small to the point of absurdity in some locations. After all, California has very strict regulations. And in Europe, the right to "keep and bear arms" is non-existent.

And recently we had a large number of Yale students, supposedly among our best and brightest, vote to rescind the First Amendment, which declares free speech and free religion to be rights. Now we can all complain about that and say the poll "wasn't fair" and all, but the plain fact is the first amendment is pretty straightforward and the fact that so many "educated" people failed to recognize it, when they ought to have it memorized, is pretty scary, indeed. But the bottom line is that we cannot trust the present electorate to maintain the rights established for us a couple hundred years ago, so we cannot afford to put any of these rights up to a vote. We just have to hang onto the rights that have been enumerated. So right now the "higher authority" is the Constitution and I don't really care whether you invoke some sort of Deity for the source of that or not, but that's how they justified it at the time. All I want to ensure is that we don't get the idea that we can start over. As far as I'm concerned it's a done deal.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Nobody gives me any rights. I make my own. As long as I'm causing no damage to anyone else's person or property, piss off if you don't like it.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" was in our Declaration of Independence.

These are considered "unalienable rights" bestowed to us by a creator and that a government should protect them. If they don't, we need to replace the government in order to protect them.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government

edit on 20-12-2015 by ghostrager because: Splng

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
People's rights are agreed upon so we can walk down the street without getting run over for the fun of it. Without rights, anything goes, right? Without rights, its 'legal' to be wrong.

If I am not in the right then I'm violating someone else's rights. Right of way, right to exist, right to go freely about my business.

The laws that counter all that are kidnapping, murder, and traffic tickets. Without guaranteed rights it all goes wrong.

Unless you believe you should have the excuse (the right) to do anything you please.

You can't drive down the street the wrong way.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I can agree with what schuyler said about understanding where the "creator" argument comes from, but let's replace that term with "intelligence". It is my personal belief that there may or may not be a creator. I don't know. The creator is nothing more than a higher intelligence.

Therefore, whether rights are given to us by a creator or they are a creation of our own mental evolution, it all boils down to intelligence.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I don't think anyone "gave" us anything. We simply labeled and named things we thought should be universal for all people. If you have a list of rights, then it means that there also exists an a list of rights you don't have. It's all a man-made construct.

In all reality, "rights" are just a part of the social contract we have with one another.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Or, our forefathers just liked to flip the bird to The Man

Point is, the government is a representation of the people. Once it no longer represents the people, it's no longer the people's goverment and needs to be replaced.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I agree up until the point of social-Darwinism... though even then he's not wrong in his premise that these are things we made up. We did. However at some point before social-Darwinism we stop and and come together essentially by consensus and decide rules (form governments) and what's sacred (not in the religious sense) and beyond reach of said new government.

Of course government becomes an out of control beast as does everything lent authority (remember, by consensus) and that only ever happens due to loss of vigilance.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

In all reality, "rights" are just a part of the social contract we have with one another.

Because of universally recognized "innate" understanding we all share as equals.

Otherwise I could be right in saying I don't recognize that agreement and be within my rights to do so, right?

Thats my favorite response when people say there is no right or wrong…

Oh, is that right?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

If you really want to know what you have and don't have as far as Rights and what laws are actually in place for everyone everywhere from birth till death???

Stop using language for any of it. Not to explain it, or label it. Look at what is really happening around you and what you can and cannot do.

There ya go. That's it. If you have to use language to explain it or to communicate it then it's most likely something someone made up and convinced others it was real.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I've heard about this from many people. Mostly from the US. Is this a set up? Oh hell yeah. Logic is coming.

So who grants these rights and are they exclusive to America? Let it be known that I saw Carlin's last.

There are certain natural rights.....fight or flight , which encompasses the right to defend yourself....the right to voice an opinion....the right to move about , to travel. We have the right to eat, drink and breathe or we die. No one gives them to us , other than the natural order of things or God, depending on your spiritual alignment.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I think people are confused about what rights are. They are not rules that grant you anything, they are meant to outline the limits of government. At the time folks felt that the creator was the ultimate authority and that idea was used as a tool of justification in a manor that regular folk could understand. A simple mind may not understand why one would want to limit government.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Nobody gives me any rights. I make my own.

I hear you. I'm judge jury and executioner, to me. My justice is swift. Well, it used to be a bit more swift..

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Yeah, this is a US thing, from the "Bill of Rights" which are the first 10 amendments of the Constitution. Governmental framework. I've often wondered how "Rights" are determined in other countries, but important nonetheless

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The constitution of the United States is a contractual agreement. The same kind of agreement we have been making with each other since the dawn of humanity. They are rights, because we have agreed they are rights as a collective. Nobody gave them to us. We gave them to ourselves, so we could live, thrive, and flourish as a group. They are there to give everyone as much freedom as is possible as individuals, and as a group. Limited only by respect for others in said group.
edit on 12/20/2015 by Klassified because: missed a word.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join