It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The loss of history

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It appears the New Orleans City Council is trying to eliminate history.

Now that the New Orleans City Council has officially approved Mayor Mitch Landrieu’s proposal to remove Lee Circle, PGT Beauregard’s City Park statue, the Jefferson Davis monument and the Liberty Place monument, the issue of history in the city is only beginning.

There was a federal lawsuit filed to stop the removal, however. So the decision is on hold.

But that isn't all.

In a press conference yesterday, Landrieu said that monument removal of Lee Circle was just the beginning, a hint that Andrew Jackson could be next.

And it’s looking more likely for all of these monuments and landmarks to get the axe by Landrieu as well:
◾Col. Charles Didier Dreux monument in Mid City
◾Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan monument in Mid City
◾Gen. Albert Pike monument in Mid City
◾Palmer Park in the Carrollton neighborhood
◾Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 in Central City
◾Washington Artillery Park in the French Quarter
◾E.D. White monument in the French Quarter
◾Confederate flag etching on City Hall in the Central Business District
◾Confederate Memorial Hall in the Central Business District

But, besides monuments and landmarks, the Landrieu administration may soon be taking on the task of renaming a slew of street names.

Here are all of the street names that may be changed by Landrieu:
◾Robert E. Lee Boulevard
◾Walker Street
◾Mouton Street
◾Lane Street
◾Bragg Street
◾Polk Street
◾Forshey Street
◾General Ogden Street
◾Calhoun Street
◾Palmer Avenue
◾Gen. Taylor Street
◾Gov. Nichols Street
◾Gen. Meyer Avenue
◾Slidell Street
◾Beauregard Drive & Lee Street

thehayride.com...

There's the information.

Here is my opinion. We are entering a period in time where historical events are offending present-day snowflakes. This attempt to eliminate history as a way to solve present-day problems is as effective as burning a yearbook to erase a bad grade in your junior year of high school. This is the end result of political correctness where things offensive by some; cannot be seen, nor talked about by anyone.

If this continues an no one fights back, then we will ultimately lose parts of our history.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You forgot to add, if this movement by political correctness is not supported, those who do not support can be berated as racists or bigots.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Yet, might one not argue that the defenders of slavery need not be celebrated by the descendants of those very slaves?
Might we not argue for whole towns and nations cast off the names given by colonial oppresors?

In this day, when our most famed sports arenas are constantly renamed by the highest bidder for no more reason than advertising, what is so bad about the citizens of a city to rename the streets in order to honor past heros more in line with their own historical values rather than honoring the history of an historically oppresive culture.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
wonder if they have a casket girl street, that would be a rather neat one...
maybe we can rename one of the streets listed to that just to celebrate the colorful history of the city...

I'm kind of in agreement with the op, these are the names that the streets were given in our past, for a reason, they tell a story of our history and well, at least some of the monuments to that story should remain.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

It is difficult to appreciate freedoms if there is no reference. Ignoring or hiding history distorts the growth of society and does little to laud the people that fought against it.

At the same time, we have to remember that while these were slave owners, they weren't monsters. They were regular people. And I think that needs to be highlighted. Regular people, who may have done wonderful things, are also capable of horrible things.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

We should never be timid, afraid, offended, oppressed, by history.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This reminds me of the 'black hole of Calcuta' its just not mentioned these days, reminds me to do another search in Google.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
It appears the New Orleans City Council is trying to eliminate history.

Now that the New Orleans City Council has officially approved Mayor Mitch Landrieu’s proposal to remove Lee Circle, PGT Beauregard’s City Park statue, the Jefferson Davis monument and the Liberty Place monument, the issue of history in the city is only beginning.

There was a federal lawsuit filed to stop the removal, however. So the decision is on hold.

But that isn't all.

In a press conference yesterday, Landrieu said that monument removal of Lee Circle was just the beginning, a hint that Andrew Jackson could be next.

And it’s looking more likely for all of these monuments and landmarks to get the axe by Landrieu as well:
◾Col. Charles Didier Dreux monument in Mid City
◾Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan monument in Mid City
◾Gen. Albert Pike monument in Mid City
◾Palmer Park in the Carrollton neighborhood
◾Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 in Central City
◾Washington Artillery Park in the French Quarter
◾E.D. White monument in the French Quarter
◾Confederate flag etching on City Hall in the Central Business District
◾Confederate Memorial Hall in the Central Business District

But, besides monuments and landmarks, the Landrieu administration may soon be taking on the task of renaming a slew of street names.

Here are all of the street names that may be changed by Landrieu:
◾Robert E. Lee Boulevard
◾Walker Street
◾Mouton Street
◾Lane Street
◾Bragg Street
◾Polk Street
◾Forshey Street
◾General Ogden Street
◾Calhoun Street
◾Palmer Avenue
◾Gen. Taylor Street
◾Gov. Nichols Street
◾Gen. Meyer Avenue
◾Slidell Street
◾Beauregard Drive & Lee Street

thehayride.com...

There's the information.

Here is my opinion. We are entering a period in time where historical events are offending present-day snowflakes. This attempt to eliminate history as a way to solve present-day problems is as effective as burning a yearbook to erase a bad grade in your junior year of high school. This is the end result of political correctness where things offensive by some; cannot be seen, nor talked about by anyone.

If this continues an no one fights back, then we will ultimately lose parts of our history.

I don't if I'm just playing at semantics on this, but is it history or heritage that is being attacked? Perhaps both?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Yet, might one not argue that the defenders of slavery need not be celebrated by the descendants of those very slaves?
Might we not argue for whole towns and nations cast off the names given by colonial oppresors?

In this day, when our most famed sports arenas are constantly renamed by the highest bidder for no more reason than advertising, what is so bad about the citizens of a city to rename the streets in order to honor past heros more in line with their own historical values rather than honoring the history of an historically oppresive culture.

What you omit is those being celebrated weren't receiving those honors for slavery.

Following that logic, one might as well erase Lincoln, Washington...hell all the founding fathers...why stop there? The Constitution, itself, was formulated by those of a slave culture. Dump it.

PROGRESS....

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

How about this for some common sense? After WW2 Germany lost and the world then knew what a monster Hitler and his thugs really were. Auschwitz still stands to this day as a testament to the evil men can do. Was Hitler totally evil? No. He put Germany back to work,on its feet,and they had some of the best scientists at that time. He gave his country a reason to once again feel proud and productive. Had he stuck to just waging war,I doubt the Nuremberg trials would have been so strict on those that were caught.But the problem is......they didn't stop there.

I think due to people KEEPING THE HISTORY ALIVE,that we all pretty much know what all happened during the holocaust.This is important. They wanted future generations to see,learn,and understand what all the Nazi's did during WW2 and why mankind can NEVER let it happen again. Mein Kampf was kept from being reprinted because they didn't want underground groups getting a hold of it to follow it.(Now the patent is up and it is being reprinted with annotations)

This is the important thing,you do not sweep history under the rug and try to act like it didn't happen. If you remove all the names and statues and any mention of all the people that helped shaped our country,GOOD OR BAD, then in 1000 years,how will people know what all they did? Will they just take some obscure books word for it? Will they sit back and wonder "why do we have no one that ever did anything wrong in our history"? Our constitution and bill of rights are so faded,they can't really be totally read. And we have forgotten them already.Maybe not the words,but the heart and soul of what they meant,and why people laid their lives down to fight for those words.

For Gods sake people,stop worrying about who thought what personally and realize what is REALLY important in life. Use those people as a teaching tool for future generations to come. Point them out and say"this person did this in his life and helped to shape our country's policy over __________.But he was a racist as was common back then,and he did other things wrong"! Use them to teach the children!

We have already lost so much history it isn't even funny. Remember,history is written by the victors. You don't get to hear the other sides story at all. In order to completely understand what was going on,you need to hear all sides to form a complete picture. We have lost that. Shall we lose even more because of certain groups wanting to paint a world in only the colors they approve of? I don't know about any one else,but that is not a world I want to live in.

GIVE ME THE TRUTH,IN ALL ITS TERRIFYING GLORY,AND TWISTED UGLINESS.

Deny ignorance forever and ever!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I get kinda torn on this, I see Terry's point and yours.

I don't want us to totally forget about the history, but also don't want to act like there are people that don't want to see this dark time of our history around them everyday.

Keep them in the history books by all means, but they don't have to be everywhere in the cities.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Liverpool wouldn't have been an international city without the 'Triangular Trade.' Streets are named after Abolitionists and slave-traders and they should never be changed on the pretence that nothing bad ever happened. You can walk around Liverpool city centre and see the names of slavers made legend via Rodney Street and Bold Street. Up in Allerton there's a non-descript road called Penny Lane after James Penny....

The USA and the UK might not be what they are today without the slave trade and it's a lie to pretend otherwise. It's not like we have to celebrate slavery and dance around.

New Orleans should treat its history like Liverpool does.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I must have my tinfoil hat on too tight today... why do I see this as an effort to dishonor rebellion, instead of dishonoring racism?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

The USA and the UK might not be what they are today without the slave trade and it's a lie to pretend otherwise.

Kinda an unfair point, we can't really argue where we would have been today without it. The nations private interests did make lots of money off it that I guess you can say was reinvested into the nation.

Keep them in the history books by all means, but I think changing street names isn't this huge deal.
Also not the biggest deal to keep them.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
This is not erasing history, just renaming streets and removing monuments.
Those are NOT history, they are nods to the "importance" of notable and/or notorious figures of the past.

A lot more water has passed under the bridge since then, perhaps there are some figures that are more deserving.

Keep them in the history books, so no one forgets the kind of people that we used to celebrate.

Spacedoubt Lane has a nice ring to it.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

we can't really argue where we would have been today without it.

I think we could argue all day about it. When any nation gets access to borderline free labour, it'll have advantages over it's rivals. There's the point that the UK colonised huge tracts of Africa and made money from mining, farming and the comical exchange rates. Beads and BS for diamonds and taxes benefited us. It's no coincidence that US and UK economies rode high during the slave trade.

New Orleans and Liverpool, as cities, were founded on the economics of slavery. Changing street names to Tippex out the history might not be a 'big deal,' it's still an exercise in bureaucratic deceit.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Agreed it obviously didn't hurt the advancement of the nations, my point was more we don't have anything to argue where would we be today without it because it happened and that is all we have to go off of.

Changing street names to Tippex out the history might not be a 'big deal,' it's still an exercise in bureaucratic deceit.

What is deceitful about it?

Like said above, street names and statues are not the actual history, just a reminder of the people.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
If we continue to self-censor our cultural heritage and our history, then we're left with an artificial society based not on our actual history, values, and growth, but based on an assumed inoffensive foundation.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Statues and street names should stay where they are. We shouldn't be airbrushing out our blemishes or removing unfavourable images of our collective pasts.

What purpose does it serve?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Statues and street names should stay where they are. We shouldn't be airbrushing out our blemishes or removing unfavourable images of our collective pasts.

What purpose does it serve?

A good analogy, we'd have the cultural depth of a Kardashian.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join