It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Time to fight Back- How To Identify A Troll

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

But is calling someone stupid the correct way to address someone who is wrong? I mean, imagine you are a kid a moment, and your father calls you stupid. It does not really feel well does it?

I gave that example, because there are other ways to correct someone who is wrong. However, we have a right to express ourselves in any way as long as we aren't necessarily hurting anyone.

(Disclaimer: Images taken off the net, and used under fair use. (To express a point, or for educational purposes) Credit goes to their respective authors

I tend to look at things like that from the perspective of the artist. You may be a master painter

But lets say a child comes to you and shows you a drawing of stickman. Sure, it may not measure to your perspective on art, but it is still art nonetheless. Would you tell the child that the picture sucks? or would you teach them or show them a better way?

On the other hand, there are artists that create paintings of abstract. The artist may not be expressing something in particular, or he or she may distort objects, but he or she is giving us a new or different point of view.

It is out of the norm yes, but the artist is offering something new, something, appealing. It may be "out there" and "not normal", but it is something to keep hold on and grasp on a later time by observing the picture again. Things like this tend to help with critical thinking and getting us outside the box. Sometimes we need to be outside the box, in order to arrive at certain solutions.

30 years ago, the iPhone would have been considered fiction, but it is by being outside the box,and allow our imagination to flow, that allows for innovative things and advancement in technology. Is it a good idea to discourage anyone from trying to be innovative?

They may be "out there, but some ideas, (some not all) are worth considering.

My apologies for the allegories, It is the best way to express myself and a point of view.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Shoot it down if its full of # fella
a reply to: SoulSurfer

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SoulSurfer

It depends on what you're aims are, man. Are you just baiting by being ambiguous? You said "he or she" is giving us a new point of view, but who is this about?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: breakingbs
OP just struggles criticising anyone. Needs to man up in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
op struggles full stop lol pity

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I cant tell what he means so im going to leave this until i have more of an understanding.

edit on 20-12-2015 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

It totally might be a trap, so unless I have something else to go on i'll go by the metric I dont know
edit on 20-12-2015 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I had quite a few Trolls in my last thread.

Pretty much nailed it op.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: superman2012
Thank you for that.

I have seen this behavior about ATS and I have always wondered what made a person get such pleasure out of deliberately hurting someone they don't really know.

The video short helped me realize, that trolls are soulless beings that have lost all their claim to humanity, and can only survive by sipping at the pain they create.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Hey soulsurfer. I came in read the OP and all the replies.

Thanks for it. I've been on online forums since I was a kid, and before the internet, when we used BBSes, and even there I met bullies and trolls. Back then I would let them get under my skin, and fight back.

But I came to a realization around the year 2001 that it's just a waste of time. So when I make a post and someone tries to troll me, I stop responding to them. I've learned to make one or two replies, and then if the conversation is going south, just ignore them.

I have several people on ATS I ignore pretty much all the time. I wish I could just click a button like on Facebook to never see their posts again.

And you are correct, they are everywhere. And it is good to realize that while it is wrong for them to victimize other people, they themselves are victims. Knowing that helps me overlook their conduct and forgive them.

And I also see it as a sign of a very sick society. Jesus himself said that during the last days the love of the majority of the people would cool off, because of the increasing of lawlessness:

(Matthew 24:12) . . .and because of the increasing of lawlessness, the love of the greater number will grow cold.

There is another prophecy that explains very well why their are so many bullies and trolls in the era in which we live, it points to the attitudes and conduct of ungodly men and women:

(2 Timothy 3:1-4) But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God,

It is a world where Satan rules, and his spirit of disobedience and hatred permeates every strata of society...

(Ephesians 2:2) . . .according to the ruler of the authority of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Oh, and one more thing, I have found that by applying these scriptures, I am able to endure the evil that people may do to me. I am sorry no one was there to teach you this when you were victimized:

(Matthew 7:12) “All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must do to them. This, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean.

(Romans 12:17) Return evil for evil to no one. . . .

(Romans 12:18, 19) . . .If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath. . .

(Romans 12:20, 21) . . .if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: JackReyes

There used to be an ignore button on ATS. Sadly they did away with it.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   
OP
There were plenty of trolls in the 9/11 forums, they only posted in 9/11 forums thousands of posts and only there, attacking the thought patterns of people searching for the truth of that day. Most have gone now, thankfully. But not before some good ATS members were so infuriated that they got themselves banned.
It was interesting I remember looking at one and they posted steady for 1 year only then gone.
Like they had a contract, when the pay stopped so did the posts.

Really who else would post only in the 9/11 forum for a year almost daily and then nothing ???
Gone not even logging in anymore.

That to me defines an internet troll, and a paid one too.

Edit: Yup I wish the ignore button was back, I have had people stalking me from forum to forum shadowing my every post on every topic and responding negatively, that's when we almost want to ask a MOD for help because you don't have the ignore button.
It's called member trolling.
edit on 21-12-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   

They are indeed great verses. Much wisdom in those words.

Treat your enemies like your friends and they will reflect on their own misgivings.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

edit on 21-12-2015 by breakingbs because: accident

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96
Your thread was baiting the left and when you got owned you took away your ball and refused to play anymore. Your very good at dishing it out neo, not so good at taking it.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

I have had people stalking me from forum to forum shadowing my every post on every topic and responding negatively, that's when we almost want to ask a MOD for help because you don't have the ignore button.
It's called member trolling.

Ding Ding, I actually complained to a mod about that. I even mentioned it as "personal stalker". Because it seemed like they follow me everywhere. I would not be surprised if each one of us were assigned a few trolls. But how to call them out on trolling without getting yourself banned? This thread was the answer. Instead of calling them out, educating and raising awareness would have people see them for themselves.

They thought they had an easy prey, however I was taking notes and observed this problem. It was until skepticoverlord posted about character assassination that I knew that the mods were somewhat becoming aware of the situation. I have no doubts the owners of the site are aware and even more so with ddos attacks as of late.

DDoS Attack on ATS Happening Now

The trolls and ddos is a conjoined effort. They are not, I repeat, NOT isolated incidents. They are a conjoined force and rest assured, there are hackers in their mists as well.

I will add one more thing, there are people who calls themselves anonymous, but are not anonymous. Let me explain this one. The name Anon, is a name anyone can take. Have you noticed that mainstream refers them as "Hero's"? It is because even the cia uses anon for their own agenda.

So technically everyone who puts on a mask can be anonymous. I know this, because I was present when the war against Scientology began. (And originally it was meant to be a joke, inspired by two individuals with the code name zewe and k-tron. But 4chan took the bait and did their thing anyways.)

The real anonymous all went into the dark web and currently developing a software that allows computers to connect with one another and form an "underground web". The idea was to use the laptops as a way to form the net without surveillance of the government. The project was called meshnet.

And I can tell you now, the government does not like this one bit. The real anons though don't really care about saving the world, they do care about freedom of speech. But they are hiding, and they are not taking part with the new "anon operations" that you see on YT. Many of those are actually government propaganda. They see anonymous as a way to influence the public, because the public began seeing them as heros. At first, Anon was demonized, but then, all of a sudden, they are the vigilantes helping people. There is a reason for this, if you see past the lies.

I mean.. come on.. anonymous vs ISIS? (just to name one such propaganda), those of us who are vets from old anon, knows full well this is bs. But I stayed silent on the subject, because it is simply not my fight. And i abandoned that world years ago. This thread is simply a revisit of the past, to be used mostly to educate people on whats really going on.

Because we are being cornered and out numbered. And it is becoming a royal pain in the *snip*. Especially when one has done years worth of research, for it to be shot down by a troll. Oh hell no, I will not have that, its time to end this, by educating people on who these people are and how to identify them.

There is a classic phrase from many years ago, and it applies now aswell. "Do not feed... the trolls." Once the troll sees that the public is aware, it will go away on its own.

It was interesting I remember looking at one and they posted steady for 1 year only then gone.
Like they had a contract, when the pay stopped so did the posts.

Nice eye on spotting that detail by the way. This right here, is a very very important piece of observation. Because it is in fact true. Wow, not many would have spotted this one. It even escaped my awareness. You only spotted this though because you were paying attention.

Your intuition and gut feelings were correct. Do not lose touch with this, you are on the right path.

We need to win this information war, but to win this info war, we must rid ourselves of the troll. The best way to rid ourselves of the troll, is to become aware of the troll.

Right now, the troll, believe it or not is currently the foe that blocks people from fully awakening into what is going on with the world. Get rid of the troll, you get rid of the blockade, and perhaps maybe, we can turn the tide. But that window is getting smaller every day.

But today, we fight back, by simply becoming aware of them. And this needs to happen on a grand scale.

Its time to slay the troll.

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

There used to be an ignore button on ATS. Sadly they did away with it.

Why did they do away with it in the first place? I agree, it does need to come back. But it won't stop the troll if the troll is ambitious enough. The Ignore button is only a temporary solution, but it does help.
edit on st2015000000Mondayst000000Mon, 21 Dec 2015 05:58:54 -0600fAmerica/ChicagoMon, 21 Dec 2015 05:58:54 -0600 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: SoulSurfer
a reply to: Prezbo369

But is calling someone stupid the correct way to address someone who is wrong? I mean, imagine you are a kid a moment, and your father calls you stupid. It does not really feel well does it?

I said if someone says something stupid they get called out on it, and that's not the same as calling someone stupid.

No need for any victims here.

I gave that example, because there are other ways to correct someone who is wrong. However, we have a right to express ourselves in any way as long as we aren't necessarily hurting anyone.

Yep of course people can flap their jaws all they like nobody is going to stop them. However if they say anything ridiculous or stupid they should expect it to be pointed out (such as the claims of government agents working as trolls just to argue with people of internet conspiracy forums...). It happens to everybody.

But lets say a child comes to you and shows you a drawing of stickman. Sure, it may not measure to your perspective on art, but it is still art nonetheless. Would you tell the child that the picture sucks? or would you teach them or show them a better way?

It depends on the age of the child, but stickmen are stickmen, they are what they are and that one's not bad.

On the other hand, there are artists that create paintings of abstract. The artist may not be expressing something in particular, or he or she may distort objects, but he or she is giving us a new or different point of view.

It is out of the norm yes, but the artist is offering something new, something, appealing. It may be "out there" and "not normal", but it is something to keep hold on and grasp on a later time by observing the picture again. Things like this tend to help with critical thinking and getting us outside the box. Sometimes we need to be outside the box, in order to arrive at certain solutions.

But if the piece of art sucks, or you don't like it, you have the right to say so, you could even say it's stupid and makes no sense and the artist would just have to get over that.

30 years ago, the iPhone would have been considered fiction, but it is by being outside the box,and allow our imagination to flow, that allows for innovative things and advancement in technology. Is it a good idea to discourage anyone from trying to be innovative?

It's a good idea to point out stupid mistakes or claims. And that tech wasn't developed flawlessly without any mistakes or criticism.

They may be "out there, but some ideas, (some not all) are worth considering.

Yeah some, but not the majority. And a lot are going to be incredibly stupid.

You still seem like you consider trolls to be anyone that disagrees with you, as do a lot of people in this thread.

You're not going to be able to shut down criticism, you're gonna have to develop thicker skin or just deal with it. Otherwise you're gonna have a hard time.

edit on 21-12-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I am afraid that if these true trolls are as numerous on ATS as your posts imply...

...and if people continue to suspect (and label) people trolls, who in reality are not actual trolls, but may have strong views on certain subjects; while posting regularly and vociferously on a limited number of themes...

...along with people using the word "troll" to discredit others they disagree with and want to insult or discredit or shut down, because their own arguments are too week to win in debate...

THAT a state of 'Trollophobia' will be fostered and we'll be seeing a troll behind every post.

There are a number of people here, I suspect of being trolls, as they fit some (but not ALL of your criteria)..and many of those same people have thrown the name 'troll' at me...mostly during debate on highly-divisive and controversial topics.

As far as the subject of 'assigned troll stalkers' go, there are a couple of individuals here whom, to me, it actually feels as if they're 'assigned' to post almost immediately after any post I make in certain contentious threads and controversial topics.

Again, I have always assumed that they are just as passionate about their side of the issue, as I am about my side.
That said, I don't want paranoia to enter into how I respond or post on topics.

I love a good debate, but I don't want to waste my time with a paid troll, by assuming he or she is just as passionate about their position as I am about mine; especially, when these 'debaters' BEGIN with intelligent discussion, but...pages in, when their position is faltering, turn towards insults and some of the troll strategy you've listed in your OP.

So my questions to you, OP:

How, when they may not reveal themselves until further into a debate and discussion, do we avoid initially wasting our time with someone who, initially may seem to be just a passionate debate opponent, but later in a thread, turns out to reveal themselves as an actual troll?

How do we avoid Trollaphobia and troll-hysteria here on ATS?

What specific recommendations would you make to ATS management to help genuine members by curtailing actual troll activity?

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The weakest form of oppression that can be wielded, is indirect verbal exploitation (Trolling). It preys only on the most easily victimized minds. While emotional, environmental, chemical or physical oppression achieve much better results in "having power".

The only difference is the others have a much higher risk of them being exposed as the lying, cheating, charlatan molesters they are. Here is to hoping they all have to register as internet predators and introduce themselves as so before joining any online community.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join