It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is confidence a valid indicator of strength?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
The following video got me thinking about this topic.

www.youtube.com...

The woman in that video claims that the primary thing women want from men is confidence. I've come to the conclusion that confidence is usually a sign of weakness, not strength. Why? It's because I believe in the following maxim:

Aristotle — 'The more you know, the more you know you don't know.'

Albert Einstein — 'The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.'

What that means to me is, the more knowledge you have, the more unconfident you become as a rule. I've come to equate total confidence with arrogance. The reason for that is simple. The more statements of absolute truth I hear coming from a particular person, it always is directly correlated with how arrogant they are.

Some might point out that I'm exhibiting a lot of confidence in this post. I'm confident that I know very little in the big picture.

That's the kind of confidence we should all have IMHO.

As for the woman in the video above...

I'm confident that she's a superficial megalomaniac. I'm confident about that.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Usually a smile and some jokes work for me, and yes I am a confident man which to me equates to my determination, if I want something I am going to get it.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
yea usually you can bluff your way to a date, for example, the peacock. but its hard to say what all women desire because some women value different things. especially now that women have become more independent and dont need to rely on men to support them.
edit on 19-12-2015 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

another example is to tell every girls you meet that you are a millionaire that wants to have many kids. to some thats enough, to some its not.
edit on 19-12-2015 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
confidence is not about knowing the truth.
confidence can be faked, it is not that hard.

This confidence you are speaking of is attractive not because it knows the truth. This confidence allows a person to get resources. A confident person is much more likely to say no to others and not take no for an answer. Behavior like this changes the social structure around this person. Doors just seem to open up for this person as people won't contest them.

How people are alright with themselves constantly spewing fiction I could not say but believing in one's own garbage thoughts is socially advantageous.
edit on 19-12-2015 by jellyrev because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

This is true.

I agree.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I saw a "confident" dude tuck tail and run during an enemy attack. "Cocky" is more like it... and that generally lands you in trouble....

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Confidence is synonymous with wisdom, wisdom comes from knowledge, knowledge comes from experience, experience comes from failure.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I guess you have to look at it subjectively... for instance... I have every confidence that my 12-Guage will kill, or scare off 99% of the predators that we get here in DNC (Damned Near Canada). That does not equate to "strength"... it is confidence due to firepower.

I will also say this... if we get a Grizzly bear on the property, and I pump a full load of slugs into him... and just piss him off...

Confidence will give way to panic and screaming...

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Damn you with your failed experiences with knowledge and wisdom .

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I find women like it more when I act (teehee) "all inadequate"

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
If you want to succeed you need confidence. That is an Alpha trait. Many people will follow someone with confidence yet the confidence that person has is not based on truth or reality. Someone with confidence can get you to believe a lie easier than someone who does not have confidence.

Einsteins comment on the more you know the more you have to learn is a sign of wisdom, not confidence. Confident people plateau and look at things from that plateau and unless they gain enough wisdom before their confidence emerges, they will tumble if they buck horns with someone with more wisdom and confidence. The ones with wisdom retain their status. I have seen many people with confidence based on misconception and their plateau rarely gets very high. People often put them on a pedestal before they belong on it. They set them up for failure by agreeing with them and the confident person goes over their head and their life becomes miserable.

I know a few people with wisdom and confidence, they do not go over their heads, their accent to wealth is slower and steadier and they have respect in their community. In the end, they feel better about their life than those who stepped on the heads of others to get where they want. The people with wisdom and confidence seem to know their needs instead of being mesmerized by their wants.

The video addresses raising of confidence and the woman is sure a cute sales person. Not really my type of woman though. I have the confidence to say that I do not need a trophy spouse at my side to succeed and I did not need to get rich or step on others to get where I am. I have confidence enough to know that my peace of mind is the most important thing I have achieved in this life.

Some people are hooked on getting ahead, and I look at these people and feel sorry for them. They spent all their lives seeking recognition and did not learn how to relax and enjoy tranquility. But if they want to do that, they can do it. I know some very good looking people who are not vain. You can not profile a cute person because of their looks. It is what is in their heart that you use to judge a person's wealth.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
Confidence is synonymous with wisdom

I believe that can be disproven using basic logic.

All of the groups listed above are confident that they're right. However, since most of their beliefs contradict, there is no way that all of them are right. How can you claim "Confidence is synonymous with wisdom" then?

I would agree with your statement if everyone were on a level playing field. But, when you factor in the brainwashing from birth that most people in the world receive, humanity's propensity for self-delusion, and many other such things, I can't agree with you at all here.

The above raises a question that I would I like to ask the woman in the video in the original post:

What does confidence mean you're dealing with a delusional person?

My answer is that it means absolutely nothing. So, her whole speech in the video is total stupidity based on that alone.

Someone may counter and say, "You can sort out the delusional if you're clever." That's often true but it takes time in my experience. And, if you're over-emphasizing confidence as being the most important trait for a person, you're likely to get fooled by delusional confidence very easily IMHO.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: breakingbs
I find women like it more when I act (teehee) "all inadequate"

I just did a search for "women want a project" on Google and I got 35,000 results. Enlightening song here, very very much so.

He is a hustler, he's no good at all
He is a loser, he's a bum, bum, bum, bum
He lies, he bluffs, he's unreliable
He is a sucker with a gun, gun, gun, gun
I know you told me I should stay away
I know you said he's just a dog astray
He is a bad boy with a tainted heart
And even I know this ain't smart

Britney Spears - "Criminal" Official Lyric Video

www.youtube.com...
edit on 20-12-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Kinda funny to see that more than 50% follow religions that use a confident seller who is good at brainwashing instead of teaching critical thinking/awareness. Paul and Muhammad.

Alphas are good at bull#ting and selling a product that is not perfected. Omegas are confident because they have increased their understanding/awareness to the level where confidence naturally occurs.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
That's the kind of confidence we should all have IMHO.

As for the woman in the video above...

I'm confident that she's a superficial megalomaniac. I'm confident about that.

I got as far as her describing what she considered to be strength of character and decided my time had more value to continue watching it. The jist that I got is that the women she is describing want confidence, as well as wealth, not over wealth. I am sure that she is right, about herself and the kind of women she mixes with.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   

I find it funnier that you looked up "women want a project." That's what they want...a project.

Oh and this whole time I time I thought it was confidence.

Mama I'm in love with a criminal. When I get posessed, its subliminal. lol.
edit on 20-12-2015 by breakingbs because: nah

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
The struggle between confidence and insecurity is nothing more than the depersonalization of the ego. Sociopathic behavior on the part of others can destroy even the most established ego.. e.g, 'everyone has a breaking point'.

Many 'weak' people who've long struggled with confidence have done so as a consequence of influential cruelty and have reached higher levels of 'strength' ever achieved by those fortunate enough to have been allowed to sustain an unperturbed ego.
edit on 20-12-2015 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
What that means to me is, the more knowledge you have, the more unconfident you become as a rule.

Knowledge = experience!
'Confidence' comes from experience!

edit on 20-12-2015 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues
Many 'weak' people who've long struggled with confidence have do so as a consequence of influential cruelty and have reached higher levels of 'strength' ever achieved by those fortunate enough to have been allowed to sustain an unperturbed ego.

Yep, that's what I would describe as strength of character.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

Well at some point though, doesn't it all get bungled up in lies? Someone says people want "thisss!!" and everyone rushes to get it then people go down a list of descriptions until we all decide theres just no use in talking. Is there ever really an answer that comes in speech?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join