It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Atheist Bow to Anthromophism?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I think he's claiming atheist's have a concept of God as a being, when God could just be an intelligence that affects everything.

What? Are we stupid?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I'm with you. I always say to disbelieve, I'd first have to acknowledge God's existence to then disbelieve it.

That's just not how it works.

Lack of belief is like absence of belief. There's nothing there to disbelieve.

edit on 20-12-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
I think he's claiming atheist's have a concept of God as a being, when God could just be an intelligence that affects everything.

What? Are we stupid?

Yes, I would say that is one of several of his main false premises. He has yet to acknowledge it even after 6 pages of everyone showing him he's wrong about his assumptions.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai
a reply to: vjr1113

The Existence of God is a matter of Faith

Are saying that if you have no Faith, there is no God?

edit on 20-12-2015 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Sharp reply, like your style and the bold head metaphor, (he hasnt got a hair in the world but he can talk about it) hahahaa reply to: Ghost147

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
People apply human properties to god for the same reason they assume we must be his favorite children. One of the products of grappling with our own sentience is an incessant need to be reminded of our own self worth in the cosmic scope. Surprise, we are all dust in the wind. Even gods, if history is anything to go by. None of this matters.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   
sadly - its the majority of religions that are mired in an anthropormorphic " vision " of thier alledged gods :

as evidence just read thier bloody scriptures - and count how many times thier alledged gods use thier hands , " look " " speak " smile , etc etc etc

thats before we get any any later iconography

by contrast - atheism posits no properties for any alledged god .

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

Communist China and Russia were lead by Atheist and that had much to do with pitting people against each other.

And Islam & Christianity had the the Crusades - were these noble pursuits?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Tearman

If the universe is fine tuned for life, then why will 99.999999999% of it kill you instantly.

No, the planet earth is fine tuned for life "as we know it".

I dont understand the 99.9999999% kill rate. What does that even mean? '

So are you religious? Why did your god allow a universe to kill? hehe

PS here's a hint, look up the word Entropy

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Again the idea that what some define as random could in fact be the result of order upon a scale beyond our comprehension.

A valid argument.

Evidence is apparent in nature where what seems random is not.

Ok so say there is evidence that there once was a god? Where is it hiding now? Why did it abandon its creation. Show me the money - and dont bother using the word faith...

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

actually - my opinion is that terrestrial life is fine tuned for its environment - a crucial different .

edit to clarrify

i dont believe i just wrote that - sheesh - just got up

terrestrial life is adapted to its environment

better
edit on 20-12-2015 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Deductive arguments are in relation to populations while inductive support a position related to samples.

Ok,with a statement like the above I think the discussion is getting nowhere, until you start applying some common understanding of what these concepts entail in the real world I dont think you will make any progress.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

actually - my opinion is that terrestrial life is fine tuned for its environment - a crucial different

Yeah I guess so - but I also believe that we are in a symbiotic relationship with our planet - maybe our creator lurks in the sun...or is the Sun.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Faith: Believing what you know aint so......Mark Twain a reply to: vjr1113

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

actually - my opinion is that terrestrial life is fine tuned for its environment - a crucial different

Yeah I guess so - but I also believe that we are in a symbiotic relationship with our planet - maybe our creator lurks in the sun...or is the Sun.

Or maybe we (and all things) became created by evolving.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Scientifically speaking, that is quote true. the Sun is the 3rd star to occupy this space, we are the 3rd system to orbit. The chemical makeup of this current version of our solar system is a result of the creation of heavier elements from the first 2 stars going nova. Were it not for the specific combination of elements created after the 2nd nova event, we wouldn't likely be here. Or at least not as we are.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

And we all know how the rest of history goes...

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai
In a way the situation is really funny.

See any expression of God with, respect of atheist dogma contributes some expression of Anthropomorphism. But a problem is that in definition, God from the context of many belief systems and in general denies any real human conclusion as absolute.

Lets consider the Book of Revelations, that presents God as a being who's head is undefinable in any real sense as applied.

Atheist seem intent upon applying some grosser definition of what religion really is all about.

Any thoughts?

Real atheists don't care if you say grace, worship at church, celebrate Christmas, Hannukah or whatever. We do it too with you, and you never hear us say anything. The ones crying and making a big deal out of everything are A - H***S, not atheists, BIG difference. We just don't get out of it, what you do.

I'm going to candle light Christmas eve mass with a bunch of "goers" because it's their thing and we are going to party at someones house after. Why stand out? It's done as a celebration, join in or get left out of a lot of life. You don't have to think like me, and I don't have to think like you, but I don't need to take away from you because we think different!?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

a reply to: Tearman

If the universe is fine tuned for life, then why will 99.999999999% of it kill you instantly.

No, the planet earth is fine tuned for life "as we know it".

I dont understand the 99.9999999% kill rate. What does that even mean? '

So are you religious? Why did your god allow a universe to kill? hehe

PS here's a hint, look up the word Entropy

I believe Tearman's post was meant to be satirical. Also, I would say that it is misleading to use the term "fine tuned" as it seems to imply a 'tuner', and a purpose for the existence of Earth.

If that's what you were implying, then I suppose your terminology fits your point of view. If you were saying so from a secular based argument, it can be misleading.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
You are asking do Atheists bow to the attribution of human characteristics or behavior to a god, animal, or object......

What?

ps/atheists don't have dogma : a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join