It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake homeless people?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
The "Homeless" have been defined upwards in our consciousness.

The above is something that has been troubling me of late, the term "homeless" and how by that definition we are only quantifying the lack in their lives which completely disregards the why in terms of their situation. Providing a home only redefines, it doesn't address the underlying issues. Many of the people that I meet who live on the streets have made a choice to live that way, for a wide range of reasons. For some, like you, it is a stop gap between opportunities, but in the UK, being without a fixed abode is considered anti-social in itself, a deviancy that is treated with suspicion, therefore, those taking such a break may find themselves severely disadvantaged by not having a permanent correspondence address. Many of those living on the streets are doing so to escape abuse cycles, and home is not a safe word. A fixed home means they are easier to find, they prefer to keep moving, untraced, despite the risks. Some simply like to keep moving and don't want, or can't manage, the commitments and responsibilities of life as the rest of us live it.

I was really impressed with the current Popes initiative to provide toilet and showering facilities in Rome to their homeless. Hygiene is such a huge, enormous barrier for those living a wandering lifestyle. I was watching a program by a comedian called Dave Gorman, he made a joke about 48 hour deoderant, and stated that if your friends think that not showering for two days is acceptable, exclude them from your social circles. I wonder when we became so frightened, and easily injured, by a little BO.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
I believe some folks are planted on the streets to report back to "them''. They are sometimes called narcs. Some aren't planted and actually have it hard, but report to ''them'' anyways.

Let me get this straight...you are saying that "they" plant homeless people on the street to prove to the rest of us that there are indeed homeless people ?...like it is some kind of game ?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anaana

originally posted by: schuyler
The "Homeless" have been defined upwards in our consciousness.

The above is something that has been troubling me of late, the term "homeless" and how by that definition we are only quantifying the lack in their lives which completely disregards the why in terms of their situation. Providing a home only redefines, it doesn't address the underlying issues. Many of the people that I meet who live on the streets have made a choice to live that way, for a wide range of reasons. For some, like you, it is a stop gap between opportunities, but in the UK, being without a fixed abode is considered anti-social in itself, a deviancy that is treated with suspicion, therefore, those taking such a break may find themselves severely disadvantaged by not having a permanent correspondence address. Many of those living on the streets are doing so to escape abuse cycles, and home is not a safe word. A fixed home means they are easier to find, they prefer to keep moving, untraced, despite the risks. Some simply like to keep moving and don't want, or can't manage, the commitments and responsibilities of life as the rest of us live it.

I was really impressed with the current Popes initiative to provide toilet and showering facilities in Rome to their homeless. Hygiene is such a huge, enormous barrier for those living a wandering lifestyle. I was watching a program by a comedian called Dave Gorman, he made a joke about 48 hour deoderant, and stated that if your friends think that not showering for two days is acceptable, exclude them from your social circles. I wonder when we became so frightened, and easily injured, by a little BO.

Excellent post

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: breakingbs I know what you mean. There was a small two to three person protest so a certain person could have a spot close to a store near where I live. At first, the person who told me about the guy and his spot was like ''sure why not have your own spot?'' but then she talked to him and he referred to his spare changing as his work... ok a certain skill.. but then we learn he is no longer allowed in the store's bathroom because of leaving used heroin needles in bathroom... Not Cool! Feeding and clothing homeless is one thing, supporting a nasty habit so they can leave needles laying around.. Different story entirely!

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed I'm saying the plants are the ears and eyes of what's going on in the streets... maaannn

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed I'm saying the plants are the ears and eyes of what's going on in the streets... maaannn

Well in that case do not let me get in the way of your perceived reality

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   

a reply to: breakingbs I know what you mean. There was a small two to three person protest so a certain person could have a spot close to a store near where I live. At first, the person who told me about the guy and his spot was like ''sure why not have your own spot?'' but then she talked to him and he referred to his spare changing as his work... ok a certain skill.. but then we learn he is no longer allowed in the store's bathroom because of leaving used heroin needles in bathroom... Not Cool! Feeding and clothing homeless is one thing, supporting a nasty habit so they can leave needles laying around.. Different story entirely!

The bottom feeding smack heads are a pain in the arse all around, there are some stable heroin users but they are few and far between, the low street price and ease of availability make the young and vulnerable attractive new customers, and there seems to be circles determined to get people hooked at that level. They prey on everyone and given a little intelligence, they can be highly manipulative and will seek out any chink of weakness. They are of most threat to the chronically homeless, particularly those that are alcohol dependent and/or have prolonged bouts of psychosis. Some nice kids get sucked into using, but as long as they're using, you need a thick skin and a stiff ear because there is not a trick in the book they won't try. Not a fan!
edit on 20-12-2015 by Anaana because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   
There was a guy near where I live that was caught faking being homeless. Someone found him getting out of his suv about a block from where he does his begging. The suv was pretty new and in great condition. Not what you would think he would own if you saw him standing on the corner begging. She recognized him because she had actually given him money. After she realized what he was doing she told the police. He moved a few blocks away and last I heard was still there. He holds a sign that says "homeless and hungry".

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
There was a guy near where I live that was caught faking being homeless. Someone found him getting out of his suv about a block from where he does his begging. The suv was pretty new and in great condition. Not what you would think he would own if you saw him standing on the corner begging. She recognized him because she had actually given him money. After she realized what he was doing she told the police. He moved a few blocks away and last I heard was still there. He holds a sign that says "homeless and hungry".

There are numerous professional beggars and they often work in teams. A good spot at a peak time, where I live, can make £70 to £100 a day. Some of it is linked to organised crime, it can also be used to get drugs onto the street when that is where your customer base is.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anaana

There are numerous professional beggars and they often work in teams. A good spot at a peak time, where I live, can make £70 to £100 a day. Some of it is linked to organised crime, it can also be used to get drugs onto the street when that is where your customer base is.

After all it is just a game ....life..love...a game where some win and some lose....how you get there is a matter of morality ...and morality is subjective

I could argue for instance that at least drug dealers and prostitutes provide a service that has an actual value where as politicians and pretty much all governmental associates blow smoke and air,promise the world and deliver nothing...

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I think he's talking about narcs.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
After all it is just a game ....life..love...a game where some win and some lose....how you get there is a matter of morality ...and morality is subjective

I could argue for instance that at least drug dealers and prostitutes provide a service that has an actual value where as politicians and pretty much all governmental associates blow smoke and air,promise the world and deliver nothing...

Indeed, and no value judgement from me, all crime is relative and deviancy is subject to the illusion that there is a norm. The heroin users get my time as much as anyone else, but to survive in my own environment, I don't make myself a mark and I know my environment.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Actually, that can be true, I guess, on some level where people are simply willing to get in your face all day. And they hang with others who will do the same, therefore having nothing else to do but watch your comings and goings. Its like hi, yep. Its a person. So am I. You see me. Ah yeah. My face. Look. Face. You see me. Yeah I see you. You're just there. Can you like...go tho? :/

I got told by one of these people "you are society." But, why?

edit on 20-12-2015 by breakingbs because: edit

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Maybe they are just "new" to being homeless? Trying to learn how to behave the way you think they should before they get your 50cents.

Trying to shed the pride and confidence so that we can pity them and actually start helping.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   

You can own a car and still be homeless.
And hungry.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: breakingbs

I think you have to establish perspective, when dealing with issues like this.

In every culture, in every scenario, there are those who will see a certain situation, and think that they have a way to monetise it. They see a genuinely hopeless person, a scion of the streets of long familiarity with the situation, and study them, find out what makes them able to absorb the generosity of others, find out how much risk is involved with the life they live and the position they are in, and make a judgement call.

To do this, to make money this way, one generally has to have, in my opinion, a hole in their soul. To make money from the destitution of others is a path without honour, without any moral validity what so ever, whether it takes the shape of running a slum dwelling, or living off the charity meant for those genuinely down at heel.

But we have to see this for what it is, and realise that just because there are those on the street who have no reason to be there, save a capitalistic motivation which has overwhelmed their humanity, there are also people out on the street who desperately require some sort of assistance, people who have no where to go, no place to call their own, people who for one reason or another, do not have any stability or safety in their lives.

You also must consider, that just a rare few of the fakers out there will be there on behalf of, or in the employ of law enforcement agencies. No one notices a homeless person in a big city, and thusly, no one pays attention to what they might be doing. You see a well dressed, well fed individual scavenging a dumpster, and you may feel rightly suspicious of their motivations. However, if that person appears for all the world as if they have not eaten in days, washed in weeks, or changed clothes in months, and ones assumptions are automatically changed, to the point where many would simply not notice.

I was out on the street for a time. Luckily, I had a genuine job, a bank account too. There was never enough money to rent somewhere to live, or to pay a bill, or secure my position in any way, but there was enough to eat, and clean myself and my clothes regularly, and get some grub for others who were out there at the time, living that life. I never had to beg, nor did I take alms which might have been offered me, since I knew there were others much more in need than I was.

What we must understand is that although there are fakers in every walk of life, from the boardroom, to the streets, we cannot allow the fact that these people exist to harden our hearts against the denizens of the street. People are out there living hard lives, many of them alone and scared, many others mentally ill, and others mourning the lives they were proud to be living once, consumed by sorrow, loss, and post traumatic stress, amongst other things. Though there are liars, we cannot consider everyone we see under cardboard as a potential grifter.

I myself hand a coin to any homeless person I pass in the street, not just because I was once living there myself, but because I know that if I have it spare, a few pence can change a persons fate when they live that close to the edge. How they use that coin is their own affair, how they manipulate their fate with that charity, their own business. But I know how lucky I was back then, and I know if I had been in the position that these folk are in, the genuine rough sleepers... I would have needed all the help I could have gotten, and so I give what help I can.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I like the ones that carry the empty gas Container. They make a $hiiet load a cash. When I am approached I always ask where their vehicle is... when they studder I ask them what kind of vehicle it is.....when they studder I ask to see thier car keys..... they ALL about face and leave head down......

ET A. Panhandling here requires a permit from the city. The panhandler must wear a reflectivery vest.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I would be surprised if any of the homeless folks in my town were faking it, I know most by name and all have addiction or mental health issues. We have a decent shelter but rules are if under the influence then you are not allowed in.

Professional beggars must be a big city thing, where I am it's for booze and heroin...tragically.

*Edit*
Just got back from town after meeting a new homeless face and sharing a smoke and a chat, genuine as far as I could tell, bought her some pork pies, a sandwich, bottle of water, tampons and baby wipes. She said nobody ever thinks of sanitary things, I told her I was on the streets myself many years ago.
edit on 20.12.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Are you male or female if you don't mind me asking? Me, the thought totally ellipses me of the other side of things until I see things...in random places they shouldn't be garments...on trees, beads and candles and think wha-

Always manages to smack me upside the head...
edit on 20-12-2015 by breakingbs because: none

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: breakingbs Oh I'm a rough straight male who grew up with a twin sister.
I spent six months on the streets aged 16 myself so I pretty much always stop even just for a chat, human contact just as a basic hiya can make a massive difference to the day of someone alone sleeping rough.

edit on 20.12.2015 by grainofsand because: typo

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join