It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan: Muslims and Militias, a Ticking Time Bomb?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I was reading the comments in an article about a DHS helicopter that was flying over Bad Axe Michigan from a link on Drudge and ran across something that I found interesting after a bit of research.

Michigan has 47 "Patriot" groups, which includes 34 militias. The largest of any state besides Texas(52), which has 3 times the populace.

Michigan also has the largest percent of Muslims per capita and is home to the controversial city of Dearborn.

Michigan also happens to be home of 6 in the top 9 federal resettlement contractors. link who are responsible to find a living space for refugees.

With all the talk of "right wing" terrorism and "Islamic" terrorism, Michigan seems to be the hot bed of two polar opposites. Add in the fact that Michigan takes in an enormous amount of refugees, mainly to the Detroit area(taxpayers paying their food, shelter and welfare), and the depressing economic state of the "Motor City" and you are left with a state that is bound to spiral uncontrollably into turmoil.

What happens when you take a populace that holds two different ideologies and place them in an economic depression? Well, let's just say they won't be singing "kumbaya".

Michigan's lower peninsula is in for a battle, it's not a question of "if" but one of "when".

So the obvious question; Is this a perfect storm, or is it a deliberate action?

Ghost
edit on 19-12-2015 by ghostrager because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

The Government may be trying to keep the Muslims in a confined space. It is easier to address the problem if it remains localized.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Neither, the Muslims in metro Detroit are peaceful good people in all my experiences. As are most people who belong to a militia (i know many). Granted there are bad apples everywhere but you seem to assume in your post that the two groups you refer to here hate each other. I can assure you thats not the case. As for the "Motor City Depression" Detroit is making a comeback feel free to do some more research on that. I have more work then my company can handle right now in the city. Been that way well over a year.

So no, nothing will happen.

peace rally

new business in the D

major new development downtown

new Carhartt store

smalll business in the D
edit on 19-12-2015 by DetroitSnowball because: links

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   

No offense but do you live in Michigan, Dearborn or the Metro Detroit Area? Please don't believe everything you hear on the Internet. I heard that not everything you hear is true on it. The Vast majority of people, people of all colors and religions are just normal.

Sorry to burst your fear bubble.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DetroitSnowball

I'm obliged that your first post on ATS was in response to one of my threads, DetroitSnowball.

I agree and am sure that the majority of both Muslims and militia members are peaceful in times of seemingly economic stabilization.

And yes, Detroit is doing better since filing for bankruptcy. Although still walking the line on a finacial razor.

It really doesn't matter though. You can't have two separate and conflicting ideologies exist in the same area without backlash. Especially when they are both gaining momentum.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Controversial city of Dearborn? My sister lived in Dearborn for a good 4-5 years and it seemed like a pretty normal city when I'd visit. Did we all know that there's a higher than normal muslim/arab population in the area? yes, but it never phased me.. Sister now lives out in Seattle, but I really don't remember seeing anything out of the ordinary there.
edit on 19-12-2015 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

Edit : controversial due to the museum?
edit on 19-12-2015 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
There may be many militia groups here in Michigan, but I haven't heard a peep from any of them in years. I even check their websites on occasion and there is little activity. As for Dearborn, there isn't any trouble going on there as far as I know.

When the Iraqi's started showing up in my suburban neighborhood just before Desert Storm, no one messed with their stores, I knew one family quite well and got along great with them. Chaldean Iraqi's are Christians, and those are the types I was familiar with, I even hung around a very pretty Chaldean girl back in my college days named Emon (Amy). She was a cute hottie, I should have actually dated her, but we were just friends. My one best friend dated an Iraqi woman around that time, she was in our poker group for a while. They were pretty well accepted around Detroit back in the 1980s.

Now the Muslim's, not too sure about them, they came in a little later, but I haven't heard of any problems around Detroit. My brother lived in a Detroit neighborhood on the border of Dearborn for a while about 6 years ago and the low income black people on the street were the biggest problem there, a lot of thieves, druggies and drunks in that crowd. The middle eastern people there were hard working, employed and even brought business back to some areas where blight was destroying the neighborhoods.

Not sure about race relations in the Detroit area these days though, I avoid Detroit like it was the plague and never go there anymore. Living in the sticks suits me better.
edit on 19-12-2015 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Honestly, we're MI n00bs with a little over a year of residency here in W MI, but this is a far, far more peaceful population than any of the southern ones are, and especially more so than Florida was (our former home state) It doesn't appear to have squat to do with any militias or gun-lovin' types, either. People simply respect the crap out of each other here as a matter of...dignity, I suppose, for the lack of a better way to describe it. Honest to god, it's like a whole 'nother country up here. Maybe proximity to Canada has something to do with it XD
There's many Muslims in my area, no one seems put off or threatened by them, nor do the Muslim neighbors seem to feel apprehensive in return.

JHN, my brother lives near Dearborn, and has spent much time there. He swears the "bad Muslim city" image out-of-staters have is bogus and that he's never, ever felt unsafe there.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Places like Detroit and Baltimore are begging for refugees. Why? Fast tax payers. When you are a refugee you a get 1,200 grant, a bill for your flight to the US and this is it. No additional aid and most can not apply for state or federal aid until they have been in country for 5 years. So charity groups help (Catholic Charities plays a big role) them find a cheap safe place to rent and help them find jobs right away as the 1,200 does not go far and they have to pay back the cost of their flight to the US by the 4th month. So they all work almost from the outset. That is just what poor cities want.

As for militias, when was the last time a militia did anything?

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Honestly, we're MI n00bs with a little over a year of residency here in W MI, but this is a far, far more peaceful population than any of the southern ones are, and especially more so than Florida was (our former home state) It doesn't appear to have squat to do with any militias or gun-lovin' types, either. People simply respect the crap out of each other here as a matter of...dignity, I suppose, for the lack of a better way to describe it. Honest to god, it's like a whole 'nother country up here. Maybe proximity to Canada has something to do with it XD
There's many Muslims in my area, no one seems put off or threatened by them, nor do the Muslim neighbors seem to feel apprehensive in return.

JHN, my brother lives near Dearborn, and has spent much time there. He swears the "bad Muslim city" image out-of-staters have is bogus and that he's never, ever felt unsafe there.

W michigan is nice with nice people. It could just be midwestern people in general though.

detroit and flint problems overshadow any problems in the rest of the state.

new topics

top topics

join