It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart Guns: Life Savers or 2nd Amendment Violators?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I've been shot at - twice.

This was a long time ago though and I didn't own or trust guns back then, so there was no return fire.

There was me running for my life and ducking and covering.

I can tell you though, I wouldn't have had the presence of mind to enter a password to return fire.

--------

I think this would be fine an option, but a poor idea to make it mandatory. Too much risk of failure/malfunction/nofunction, potential security problems (hackable), use problems from a partner (what if I can't get to the gun but my roommate can? guess she better grab a sword instead), etc. from untested and untried technology.

Eventually, it might one day be viable as part of gun design so they should keep working at it.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I discussed this with my collegues and together we came up with this.

If a person is diagnosed and/or given medicin for a mental problem, a flag should be set in a database letting gun dealers know that they can't buy a gun. Flag is removed when the person is reported as being cured. Any guns at the home shall be confiscated to be returned when the person is reported cured. A surprise visit at intervals should be undertaken while they are still diagnosed as mentallt ill and any firearms found shall be confiscated permanently.

If a person has displayed criminal behavior surprise visits should be undertaken at intervals and any firearms found shall be confiscated permanently.

If a person has been reported as having a less than safe way of storing guns in their home, a surprise visit should be undertaken at intervals, and any firearms found not secured shall be confiscated wether the gun belongs to the individual or not.
Eventually they either hide the guns or they store them safe. Either way it should greatly reduce the risks of accidental weapons discharge by kids playing around.
edit on 22-12-2015 by HolgerTheDane2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg
a reply to: 123143

So, you were never shot at. Then why worry about passwords to begin with?

I asked you a question.

ARE YOU A GUN OWNER?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: 123143

I asked you a question.

ARE YOU A GUN OWNER?

Of course not.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
No problems. First, as a trial run, all LEOs have to use nothing but 'smart guns' for five years. Any LEO who uses a 'dumb gun' on the job goes to prison. No excuses. And, of course, then you have to bar any claim of 'he was reaching for my weapon'. Any LEO who injures or kills anyone and tries that one gets 20 to life, no parole. If, after five years, the LEO community still wants that, then smart guns for everyone. If not, it's off the table forever.

Most if what you write makes sense and I think most European LEOs would agree it does.

I'm against smart guns for a simple reason: they are guns and by making them "smart" you simply remove a barrier to their generic acceptance. Weapon sellers love that; they then can sell their "safe" weapon to more innocent people, whom, when scared, drunk or stupid, will now smartly fire their weapon. But fire it nevertheless and the innocent victim will just as well end up dead.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: 123143

I asked you a question.

ARE YOU A GUN OWNER?

Of course not.

Do you live in a country where illegal gun violence is a serious problem?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
It sounds cool.
A gun that only works for you.
You could leave it laying around irresponsibly and nobody else could fire and use it.
You could let your kids play with it and it wouldn't go off.
BANG BANG!

I don't see the use for a "smart gun".
It has to be hack proof or some thief will steal it and you'll end up framed for some murder. Oh isn't that a horrible scenario?
Even the state lotteries have recently been revealed to have been hacked.

Smart gun has too much scam potential.

Like another previously said in the thread as well...
liberal turd morons will want a kill switch installed for total government control of all guns sold. Of course that would have to be shot down.
New Jersey...what a crock of # rule that is.

One major problem with growing technology is greed and manipulative control...
Old school fire arms work just fine. Lock boxes are affordable. Most all newer guns have a safety by default. Good enough in my opinion.

I sort of see this smart gun as a gimmick or toy.
I might buy one as a toy. As long as all other guns are also available for sale still.

edit on 22-12-2015 by OverYonder because: Spell

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

No.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

No.

Then the possibility of being shot everyday, which is the situation many Americans including me face, is not a concern for you.

I respect your right to offer an opinion on the matter but, as someone who is not familiar with the situation, your opinion is irrelevant.

Both my former line of work and my personal life took me into very dangerous areas. I am eminently familiar with the territory we are discussing here.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: 123143Then the possibility of being shot everyday, which is the situation many Americans including me face, is not a concern for you.

Indeed, I am not in the least worried of being shot.

I respect your right to offer an opinion on the matter but, as someone who is not familiar with the situation, your opinion is irrelevant.

It is not, of course. Say you are in a burning house, your pants are on fire but thank Goodness, there are firemen there that will help you out. Do you require them too to set themselves on fire first before rescuing you?

We seem to agree on one thing: that it is highly unpleasant to have to be worried about getting shot. Its simple: you are in the US (I assume) and are worried to be shot. I am in the EU and I am not in the least worried to be shot. The big difference between our nations is that in the EU we have strict weapon control in place and almost nobody owns a gun here, or if they do, they are bound to very strict rules when and where to use it.

Both my former line of work and my personal life took me into very dangerous areas. I am eminently familiar with the territory we are discussing here.

I fully respect that and acknowledge it. If you are an expert in the field, the better you will known that I'm right. Guns never solve anything, make things more complex, and the only thing they're good for is killing. Shooting and being afraid of being shot is not civil. Away with the guns, it's that simple.

(post by edwinwinkjh removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
One reason other then self defence i have guns for is SHTF or TEOTWAWKI.
One thing that can cause ether of these is a CME or EMP attack.

I do not believe that smart guns will survive these.
But i am a gun smith and likely i could disable these smart gun systems and would right after i bought the guns.

I would like to see a law put in that any state that requires these guns also requires all police guns also be smart guns.

Any state that has a ballot initiative system should have people that get laws on the ballot requiring police guns have this if the public is required to have this.

That would kill any smart gun laws real quick as most cops will not stand for there guns being smart guns.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
"Keyed" guns should be just another choice. I would want one I could leave out and not have to worry about a child or stranger getting to use it. Yet it would be instantly ready for me. But just another choice, not anything more.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Just think, if we started to chip people we could make guns only respond to that persons chip. Pretty much instant feedback if the gun can be fired or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join