It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart Guns: Life Savers or 2nd Amendment Violators?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I'd absolutely own one. Love the concept. Biometric signatures have been used in IT security for quite some time, so it's a thoroughly tested tech...this is a good application of it (esp. since most gun CRIME is committed with stolen weapons)

-=Vel=-

a reply to: JesseVentura

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildb
There will never be a market for this... bad idea..

might be for weapons issued as part of your job, mall cop get overpowered and weapon taken but its as much use as a chocolate fireguard etc, also link it with some sort of remote control and you could shut down the mall guys gun the moment they leave the building etc.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

This is what I would be afraid of.

Just like Smart Meters that have wi-fi built into them so power companies can shut off your electricity whenever they want, whats stopping some government agency from shutting down your smart guns during an emergency like Hurricane Katrina?

Along with every other form of electronics, criminals will always find ways to bypass it.
edit on 19-12-2015 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
No thank you.

I'm the ultimate safety switch for my hand guns. Not some piece of tech. that I'd never trust completely, and would in all likelihood break at precisely the wrong moment.

So, no.

My handgun will remain in its holster, easily accessible for that moment I hope never comes.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Would I buy one no. Wonder how many times it can really be fired before the electronics fail or trips to gun shop cause you got locked out. Atleast there would be whole new markets created.
software
chips
service
getting Radio shack to carry battery for your gun

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I can foresee a couple of things that may go wrong here. Although this does seem like a good idea, considering recent events, I believe that the system has designed it to this point. If they can't take the weapons, there has to be some way to still win. The fingerprints of every American with a weapon, gets scanned and put in it's own database. Then they all get put on the flight list. Other "disruptions" would happen, until the gun owner got the picture, and turned their weapons in.
Also, once the government had all of their fingerprints scanned and uploaded to their servers, they would then be able to frame anyone they wanted with fabricated fingerprints attached to a crime scene.
Lastly, there would be a lot of missing people, and when found, a lot of missing digit fingers.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
i dont understand the opposition to this next step in the evolution of the firearm . sure, unhinged folk could still lawfully obtain these pieces and commit crimes but the sudden drop in tragic accidents by kids who play with weapons owned by irresponsible parents or guns taken by disturbed kids who intend to commit violence would help calm a huge portion of the anti gun crowd. a number of people are shot by their own weapons. with these, if your gun finds itself in someone elses hands you could just run a few feet away and render the weapon useless. there would be no incentive to steal such a weapon. if the concern is that the cops could turn off your guns i would seriously question the mental stability of anyone who feels the specific need to own a weapon capable of shooting at law enforcment, such people shouldnt own guns. if one finds themselves in such a situation they certanly arent going to win and walk away victorious. the only possable thing they could hope to accomplish is greater tragedy and a longer prison sentance (or death).

instead of incouraging the development of civillian arms to go stagnant lets let it flourish, because i want a laser rifle some day

edit on 19-12-2015 by LordSnow21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Can't wait to see this headline.
"Smart gun owner killed when his gun Operating system crashes and accidentally fires.
The owner was reportedly on the line with tech support doing a mandatory Windows 15 upgrade
when the gun crashed, rebooted, Blue screened, and fired. Windows is denying any responsibility claiming
"Our tech told the gun owner not to be looking down the barrel when doing a hard reboot of the gun"

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Considering up is down and down is up

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Smart Guns: Life Savers or 2nd Amendment Violators?

As long as this "smart gun" doesn't have GPS or uplink to the FED, last thing I need is another data/WI-FI phone bill for my gun my dogs collar bill is ridiculous. Sorry i digress, its no different than a cable lock through the bolt or a trigger lock.

edit on 19-12-2015 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Everything is "smart." Im wondering when they'll just call it "electronic". You have this option and that one. Oh well

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordSnow21
i dont understand the opposition to this next step in the evolution of the firearm . sure, unhinged folk could still lawfully obtain these pieces and commit crimes but the sudden drop in tragic accidents by kids who play with weapons owned by irresponsible parents or guns taken by disturbed kids who intend to commit violence would help calm a huge portion of the anti gun crowd. a number of people are shot by their own weapons. with these, if your gun finds itself in someone elses hands you could just run a few feet away and render the weapon useless. there would be no incentive to steal such a weapon. if the concern is that the cops could turn off your guns i would seriously question the mental stability of anyone who feels the specific need to own a weapon capable of shooting at law enforcment, such people shouldnt own guns. if one finds themselves in such a situation they certanly arent going to win and walk away victorious. the only possable thing they could hope to accomplish is greater tragedy and a longer prison sentance (or death).

instead of incouraging the development of civillian arms to go stagnant lets let it flourish, because i want a laser rifle some day

As mentioned in the previous posts.... I will not trust my life to a chinese made circuit board for one, and two, no way in hell I will take any chance with electronics on a firearm that can be disabled ever.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
As mentioned in the previous posts.... I will not trust my life to a chinese made circuit board for one, and two, no way in hell I will take any chance with electronics on a firearm that can be disabled ever.

I take it you don't drive or fly then? You do realize both of those vehicles are full of circuit boards these days.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

And its unfortunate-

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

I think it should have a biorectal component.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

...-oh...

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I wonder how well the electronics in such a device will handle heat ,recoil and sooty carbon residue.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Not to mention solvents,copper ,brass and lead residue.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

"I will not trust my life to a chinese made circuit board. -Infolurker"

i respect this argument, especially in the tech's early unproven stages, however, not all firearms are meant to use for personal defense, some are competetive target shooters, some are weekend can plinkers, some are hunters, some are conversation starters. i'm in no way advocating that they be made manditory today, but over time, as just another optional feature, they may prove themselves. why not develop the tech as just another choice?

just to make a point, im sure when people just started hearing about those new fangled automobiles there were many sceptical guys who said theyed never switch from their trusty horse and buggy because machines can break down. but in reality horses go lame and buggies needed maintinence too. over time the auto proved itself supirior. the truth is that traditional arms can and do break down now. normal metal fatiuge adds up and anything can jam. many of us already use durable and trusted electronics on our weapons now, including lights lasers and holographic sights. once out of the novelty stage and into the practical and affordable stage, swapping out spare electronics on heavily used pieces periodically would likely just be part of normal maintinence, like swapping the batteries in my eotech, i know it may die, but i go out of my way to never let those batteries run out.

edit on 19-12-2015 by LordSnow21 because: to add

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Sunwolf

Or even just a faint trace of "residue" for that matter, as the average use might not put out that much "dirt" (depends where you tend to go if thats the issue) but definately, recoil. Are you talking about from the gun or just...about in the air. Is it just a light measuring device or something reeally extreeeme and built up for all kinds of protection (!!!) against dirt! Hills!! The elements! Oooohh grime and grease, rrrrrrrrr!!! (I could see the commercials) lol..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join