It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what is everyone that is having one choosing to have for their christmas dinner?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Although here at Nonspecific towers we are not big on christmas as a whole we do like to take the issue of christmas dinner pretty seriously.

We do however have a quite unusual tradition though that makes preplanning a little tricky. I do not know if this happens in other countries but the supermarkets in the UK are closed on christmas day and shut at round about 8pm christmas eve. If you do not buy anything for the holiday season before hand then pretty much everything you need is reduced down to between 20% and 5% of the origional price, last year we got a large free range turkey for 87p (that is about $1.40) veg is around 5p a pack(about 8c) and anything festive is also almost given away.

As such it is almost impossible to plan exactly what we are having but it is always good fun getting back with a few hundred quids worth of food for £30-50.

This year we have a freind and fellow chef staying with us so we plan to each hit one supermarket each with a budget of £30 each and them meet back at home to try and figure out a 5 course meal of epic awsomness for the following day.

We have a vauge plan but it is dependant on what we come back with.

So what are your plans if any? I would be interested in anything traditinal in your area that could be new to me as I am always looking for new and exiting ideas.
edit on 19/12/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

edit on 19/12/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

2 cooks, 5 course meals and zero booze???

Gotta be kidding !

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

2 cooks, 5 course meals and zero booze???

Gotta be kidding !

When did I say there was no booze!

Drinking will begin the day before christmas eve and finish sometime early new years day. There will also be a lot of alcohol in the cooking process, have you ever had baked apple and Jack daniels sauce with roast pork? Mmmmmmmmm......

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific I leave it all to my dad, he's the chef in this house, mums a bit lazy in that department.

We are having goose from the farm shop and all the trimmings. We normally start on the bucks fizz and brandy as soon as we get up so, by the time Xmas meal comes I'm half cut and not really hungry. We save the left overs for the house staff in the basement. They enjoy the left overs after a busy day tending family and guests

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Oi! If no booze means I get Christmas dinner at 6 rather than midnight, maybe a little bit of restraint would be in order.

Narky will not cover the emotions and plates that will be aimed in your general direction if Chirstmas day,with guests, does not go well.

Forewarned is forearmed

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Don't you encourage him!!!

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: nonspecific I leave it all to my dad, he's the chef in this house, mums a bit lazy in that department.

We are having goose from the farm shop and all the trimmings. We normally start on the bucks fizz and brandy as soon as we get up so, by the time Xmas meal comes I'm half cut and not really hungry. We save the left overs for the house staff in the basement. They enjoy the left overs after a busy day tending family and guests

It sounds like you have a pretty well set up day then!

Goose beats turkey hands down IMO. Is your old man a good chef then assuming he keeps a check on the bucks fizz and cooking brandy

Do the staff get to decorate the basement and take a half day or do they sill have to shovel coal on the big day?

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Manna from Heaven.

*SNIP* MOD EDIT

Do you have them panfried with garlic and white wine or just the traditional horrid tea?
edit on 12/19/2015 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Thank god, for once my family is going somewhere else to play reindeer games. I shall have the house to my self and eat a quiet meal, nothing special.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Wait, a whole turkey for $1.40??

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I froze left-over turkey and dressing from thanksgiving.Now,I just
have to bake a pie and cook mashed potatoes.I had fried green
tomatoes for thanksgiving maybe I will make them again.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: woodwardjnr

It sounds like you have a pretty well set up day then!

Goose beats turkey hands down IMO. Is your old man a good chef then assuming he keeps a check on the bucks fizz and cooking brandy
my dad follows the rules and recipes unlike my mum likes to "improvise"

Do the staff get to decorate the basement and take a half day or do they sill have to shovel coal on the big day?

No

They go to bed after they have delivered the guests too drunk to drive home back and loaded the dishwasher, Boxing Day is their day. We like to keep certain traditions alive

edit on 19-12-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Baked Ham and Baked Beans... covered with honey and brown sugar.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm

Our ham is both Halal and Kosher of course

edit on 19-12-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I am (we) are cooking a traditional danish Christmas dinner.

Roasted duck with stuffing of prunes and apples, pork roast with crispy skin, brown sauce, white potatoes, brown potatoes (sugar coated), and red cabbage and other side dishes.

Dessert is Rice a la almond, with cherry sauce.

edit on 19-12-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

link   
Being rebellious this year...Lasagna!

link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

Do you have them panfried with garlic and white wine or just the traditional horrid tea?

On Christmas, I like mine broiled with fresh peppermint and paired with a particular egg nog from the local dispensary.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
In my family (being from the South), a huge meal is tradition.

Turkey
A nice spiral ham coated in brown sugar
Dressing (NOT STUFFING)
Great grandma's chicken and dumplings
Home-grown green beans
Homemade creamed corn
Fresh biscuits, cornbread and bread rolls
Various other vegetables
Real cranberry sauce
More desserts than I care to list here

That being said, since my great grandma passed, I don't do the family thing anymore. Can't stand the rest of them, she was truly the glue that held us together. Last year I had lasagna.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Bone-in standing prime rib roast. Broiled brussel sprouts with garlic and a little olive oil. Bake potatoes with all the fixings.

That's the current menu at our house for Christmas dinner.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I'll probably hop over to Nuevo Progreso. I predict cabrito and mararitas.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join