It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aircraft picture quiz

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
As far as I know it was the Seafire F.45 - F.47 that had contraprop's not the Spitfire F.20 series. I have seen a photo of a Griffon Fury with contraprops but it was only a prototype.

Deffo Shackleton.

Richard, when you say 'looked at the wrong label', are you by any chance cheating?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
As far as I know it was the Seafire F.45 - F.47 that had contraprop's not the Spitfire F.20 series. I have seen a photo of a Griffon Fury with contraprops but it was only a prototype.

Deffo Shackleton.

Richard, when you say 'looked at the wrong label', are you by any chance cheating?

I maaaaaaay have a large book on a shelf somewhere........... other than that, no comment. I shall hereby refrain from participating

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Deadalus, you might be surprised how much non-Americans take notice of other countries planes, off the top of my head I can name the HAL Kiran, Marut and Ajeet, which I've known of since childhood thanks to my vast collection of the 'Observers Book of Aircraft' which came out annually since 1952 (until 1992) and of which I have most editions (no, I'm not that old!).

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I maaaaaaay have a large book on a shelf somewhere........... other than that, no comment. I shall hereby refrain from participating

No,don't do that. I want to catch you out
I thought you may be clicking 'quote' and following the link to see what it was, or something similar. Don't worry, now I've revealed that particular trick it wont work again

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
SPITFIRE F-21
The usual engine was a Griffon 61 or 64 with a five bladed prop, although a few were fitted with the Griffon 85 with six blades in two sets of three rotating in different directions (known as a contra-rotating propeller) to use fully the 2,375 hp of the Griffon. The Mk 21 kept the normal bulged cockpit. When first introduced the Mk 21 had bad control characteristics, these were cured by modifications to rudder and elevators. 122 were produced.
SEAFIRE F-45
The Seafire 45 was the Spitfire 21 in naval guise with the two-stage Griffon engine. The new type 21 wing was kept and did not fold, and the type 45 had the normal bulged canopy

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
You are right, some later ones were fitted with contraprops. It was the Seafire F.47 that was the version with a contraprop fitted as standard. This is one of my favourite spitfire photo's, I have it in colour in a book and it shows an F.22.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Here's a moderately easy selection to tide you over while I do a bit of searching for tomorrows pics, it includes an aircraft from an earlier selection that was never accurately identified, I don't expect it will give too much trouble this time;

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
1: Sea Fury
2: TU-22
3: YAK 28
4: Type 152v1 East German airliner
5: Trident

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Only the last two right this time ajsr. The Trident was the one from before when the closest guess given was "Trident or Boeing 727" which is hardly acceptable
The VL-DDR 152 is the one I thought hardest so it just goes to show you never can tell. any guesses on the first three pics anyone?

edit; one of your guesses isn't THAT far away but just far enough to mean something else entirely, does that attampt at a hint make any sense to you?

[edit on 17-1-2005 by waynos]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   

edit; one of your guesses isn't THAT far away but just far enough to mean something else entirely, does that attampt at a hint make any sense to you?

[edit on 17-1-2005 by waynos]

You mean he should have said TU-22M?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Damn, I know all these so far but I dont get on here enough and I miss the chance lol.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
ok, heres my entry. This is my first image post, so sorry if it's wrong in any way.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Marauder/Mitchell/Havoc? Not sure, leaning towards A20 Havoc.

Hawker Typhoon

Douglas Boston (can't remember US designation)

Keine ahnung!

Hawker Sea Fury.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
No idea

Boulton Paul Defiant

Handley Page Heyford

Not a clue

Blohm und Voss?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Looks the Goblin parasite but the tail's wrong and there's no hook

Stratofort?

Bristol Beaufort? Don't think the -fighter had a twin tail.

Bell X something?

nope.

edit: Bristol

[edit on 17-1-2005 by HowlrunnerIV]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
CAC Wirraway

P51 D Mustang

Auster? Not the AOP

Mozzie

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Howlrunner, which picture sets are you guessing at? Some of the planes you named have featured and some haven't, are you starting with the first lot and working your way through?

Veltro, that is a quality selection, really making me think. Here goes;

1 Piaggio P.108

2 I FORGOT!!

3 Vought V-173

4 Avro Cierva Autogiro

5 Westland (Bristol) 192 Belvedere

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by otlg27

You mean he should have said TU-22M?

Yes I would have taken that, or Tu-26 which is what it is (intake shape and nose cone). In this photo of the Tu-26 its apparent that the design looks like a scaled up fighter, very similar to the Su-17 in some respects.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Heh, good job Waynos, I went through one of my books to find these. The Belvedere has always been one of my favorite helos, so strangely cool, lol. Kind of like the american "flying banana". The Piaggio is a weird looking one as well, The Italian's made some odd aircraft, but some beauties too such as my favorite, the Macchi Veltro MC 205
www.museoscienza.org...

As for #2, glad I stumped you on one at least, maybe someone will still get it.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
For anyone who's gotten a little confused these are the ones remaining to be identified before a new set appears.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join