It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aircraft picture quiz

page: 73
<< 70  71  72    74  75  76 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Winged Wombat
No 2 FFVS J22

The last one would have to be a study on the way to the SAAB JAS39 Gripen

saab J22 = correct

Gripen = wrong.

the concept drawing above does have to be the coolest "what if" ever.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
next batch...

The concept drawing previously is still up for grabs. call out when you give up! lol.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Could it be a General Dynamics concept aimed at ATF?

The piccies;

1 Aerfer Sagittario 2

2 Aerocentre NC 1080

3 Arsenal VG 70

4 Lavochkin La 150

5 PASS

6 looks like a drug induced fantasy, or a testbed for the wing of the FJ4 Fury???

7 Sud Oest Triton

8 Gloster/Rolls Royce Trent Meteor

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Agrees....

No.5 Looks a bit SAAB 21ish back to the cockpit - so a SAAB mockup ?
No 6 SAAB 201/202

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Waynos

The piccies;

1 Aerfer Sagittario 2

2 Aerocentre NC 1080

3 Arsenal VG 70

4 Lavochkin La 150

7 Sud Oest Triton

8 Gloster/Rolls Royce Trent Meteor
All above = correct. You guys are damn good at this.

Originally posted by The Waynos
Could it be a General Dynamics concept aimed at ATF?
Getting closer. Not the ATF though. Where else did Gen. Dynamics involve themselves in designing a twin engine fighter roughly equivalent to the F-16?

No 6 SAAB 201/202

6 = correct. To explain to others; it's the wing testbed for the Lansen. the story starts with the J29 "Flying Barrel" swept wing fighter in the late 40s though; Saab were concerned with how the swept wing would handle at slow speeds, so they rebuilt the Safir prototype with a swept wing and called it the Saab 201. I don't have any pictures of that. This is the second rebuild, this time with the Lansen wing, and called "Saab 202". The 201 flew in 1947 and the 202 in 1950.

Number 5... no where near yet.
here's another picture of the same, though minus the engines (it never flew with them anyway):

[edit on 30-3-2006 by planeman]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Is it an early mock up for the Alekseyev I-21/I-210, or maybe the Polikarpov Malyutka?

[edit on 30-3-2006 by waynos]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Is it an early mock up for the Alekseyev I-21/I-210, or maybe the Polikarpov Malyutka?

[edit on 30-3-2006 by waynos]
No. At least that's not the name I know it under. It was to use turbojets, ramjets and rocets all at once...

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Here's a cryptic hint at the concept picture from yesterday...

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Twin-engined concept for YF-16? I assume that the Tigershark just grew out of the Northrop YF-17 concept, a beefed up, twin-engined F5 Freedom Fighter. Both projects were designed to answer the call for a smaller, cheaper fighter than the Eagle and with better slow/medium speed performance.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV
Twin-engined concept for YF-16? I assume that the Tigershark just grew out of the Northrop YF-17 concept, a beefed up, twin-engined F5 Freedom Fighter. Both projects were designed to answer the call for a smaller, cheaper fighter than the Eagle and with better slow/medium speed performance.
Naw, wrong reading of the clue. I desperately want to give more away - everyone is going to go "Oh yeah, of course!" when it is worked out.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
No.5 Tikhonravov I-302

The concept.... I imagine I see some Grumman F-14 influence in the engine bays - could it be a step in the evolution of the A-12 Avenger II

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   

No.5 Tikhonravov I-302

The concept.... I imagine I see some Grumman F-14 influence in the engine bays - could it be a step in the evolution of the A-12 Avenger II

number 5 = correct.

Concept... no. I wouldn't have thought there was any significant F14 influences going through the design team's heads.

OK, giving more away... I want someone to get this....

I posted the F20 Tigershark Because this fighter owes its existance to the US not exporting the F20.... now if that's not giving it away I don't know what is...

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Oh, I would have described the location and intakes of the engines as very F-14 like.... and surely you mean that the fighter exists because nobody WANTED the F-20 (including the US)..... lot of difference between wouldn't export and couldn't find a buyer.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 05:28 AM
link   
So is it a General Dynamics concept for the JSF?

Also, howlrunner, the YF-17 was not developed from the F-5, it was a new design to meet a similar need. The F-20 was developed from the F-5, and after the death of the YF-17, as a lower cost alternative to the F-16, GD themselves proposed a J-79 powered stripped out F-16 for export (called the F-16/79) in competition with the F-20 which was in fact called the F-5G when it was first proposed.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Would you post an original piture of Sud Oest Triton please?

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   
As requested, here's a Triton. I got this one like the last, I typed "Sud" and "Triton" into google.... lol.

[edit on 31-3-2006 by planeman]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Ok, the story behind this picture:

The project in question was the Taiwanese IDF (Indigenous Defense Fighter) program which started in the early 80s after the US refused to sell Taiwan the F16 and then the F-20 Tigersharks in what was to have been a $1billion deal (hence the hint).

General Dynamics were heavily involved in the designing of the IDF (getting around the export restrictions) which shows in the design – double delta wing plan (F-16XL), F16 styled forward fuselage etc.

This chart shows the concept progression. It shows that the above concept image is design 404 (possibly 401?) and dates from 1983. for a full sized image click this link: i2.tinypic.com...
external image

sadly for planespotters the world over, a far less sexy configuration was ultimately chosen for the IDF. Here’s a later concept picture shows a closer to production aerodynamic configuration:

The IDF program led to the Ching-kuo light fighter, which has some promising features but is generally thought of as underpowered. At any rate the US attitude to selling arms to Taiwan changed and F16s were later sold, which together with French supplied Mirage 2000-5s made the IDF something of a lesser priority and production was quietly trimmed back to just 130 units.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
That is truly excellent planeman, thank you.

Er, *cough* so is it just a copy of the F-16 then ?*cough*

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
It gets better mate,

If you look closely at the concept picture you see that it is a photgraph of a semi-transparrent page, and another, presumably related, aircraft can just be made out. It looks like a "copy" of a Mig 29, lol:

I might put an article of sorts together on how the US keeps copying Russian planes, lol. but the Ching-Kuo project is a very interesting and sometimes profound forewarning of indigineous fighter projects - LCA, FC1 etc take note - although the T-50 Golden Eagle may break the trend.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I find it fascinating that US reluctance to sell F-16s to various nations, and the offer of alternatives such as F-5G/F-20 and F-16/79 and F-16/101 didn't end up benefitting the US much at all.

In most cases the countires concerned held out for F-16s and got them, or began developing indigenous fighters (in some cases so that US manufacturers could get around the restrictions), or just bought French. In the end the people who wanted the F-16s eventually got them - even Pakistan!

top topics

<< 70  71  72    74  75  76 >>

join