It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aircraft picture quiz

page: 66
<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Winged Wombat
www.aerofiles.com is good for US built aircraft.

www.avia.russian.ee is good for helicopters (All the world's rotorcraft)

AXLs Plane Gallery has over 12,000 pictures but represents less that 800 different aircraft types. Pretty good automatic recognition quiz though.

Wombat:
The 2nd one "www.avia.russian.ee" is not a correct web address, could you check it directly like this: www.avia.russian.ee... which is not exist.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Hi emile, sorry about that - it should be

avia.russian.ee...

without the 'www'

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Thank you Wombat, what's this Franch? aircraft called?

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Why this Frach aircraft would being so difficult? Waynos, where are you?????? If Wombat didn't know it, I don't believe even you don't know it!

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I'm beaten too emile, not a clue, never seen it before. Sorry.

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Yes, me too emile....

It is somewhere post 1955, probably before 1960 and may actually be an unpowered glider, but it has slipped between all of my references for that period. If anyone has a copy of Prototypes de L'Aviation Francaise 1946 / 1960 I think that it will be in that book. (But I don't have that one!)

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I agree with that wombat, I also think it may be a mock up rather than a real prototype (but would carry a registration?). It appears to be a rocket powered interceptor design, like the SR 53 but minus a jet engine. I will keep looking though.

I also toyed with the thought that the canopy looks like an afterthought, suggesting a manned test plane for a stand off weapon?

Maybe not.

[edit on 11-3-2006 by waynos]

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The lack of roundels says to me that it is a civil program rather than an Armee de L'Air program, so that would rule out either a standoff weapon or an interceptor - so I'm thinking a possible follow on to the Deltaviex program. And that also suggests that it might be unpowered.

Being a civil research program would also explain why there seems to be little in the way of internet interest in it. It is unusual for a French delta project in that it has a tail.

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
You might be right with where it comes from, obviously I wouldn't know, but carrying a civil registtration does not discount it being a military prototype, for instance ther Aerocentre NC 1080 strike fighter prototype, the Sud Oest SO-4000 bomber and the Arsenal VG-90 fighter all flew with civil registrations.

On second thoughts this might provide dating evidence for the type if this was a practice that was discontinued by 1955 when such as the Mirage and Durandal were all flying with Air Force markings?

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I don't think the practice was discontinued at that time. The military prototypes carried both military roundels and the French civil "test registrations" - much as US aircraft carry civil registrations during manufacturer's trials - and British aircraft have used B class registrations - but in this case the lack of military markings is conspicuous.

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Yes, there is that. Do you suppose then that it was possibly related to early French SST research leading into the Super Caravelle?

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I could be totally wrong, but in this case, I'm thinking something like the Deltaviex which was designed by ONEAR and built by SNCASO - so sort of a NASA type effort - pure research, but it could have a Super Caravelle connection. The vertical tail has rather a Ouragan look about it, too.

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Right, time for some unbuilt projects of my own - many more where these came from if you all like them;

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Ok, I have to do it by myself,
W. W
If you check JAWAY 1951 version you can find it at French part called Ars.1301

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Well, It just goes to show that you need all the issues of JAWA !

No mention in 49-50 at all and 51-52 mentions under Arsenal 2301 ... 'An engine-less flying model has been built to test the characteristics.....' (presumably this is the 1301), but misleadingly says .... 'Both the wings and tail are swept back......'

waynos...

1. Is this a variation on the SARO Duchess?

3. Westland WE-02

[edit on 13/3/06 by The Winged Wombat]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Emile, I have the 51-52 JAWA and agree with wombat, you must have the 50-51 edition, yes? Here I was thinking that a roughly five year gap between editions was enough.

Wombat, yes the WE02 is right, interestingly if you consider that as a rough (very rough) equivalent to the V-22 it is interesting to note that the WE.01 corresponded almoist exactly to the XV-15, coincidence?.

The flying boat is not a variation of the Duchess but it is related, it is the Saro P.192 and I'm going to make a post on this remarkable project on the Aircraft board

I'll see if anyone can get the rest during today before I reveal all, would you like to see more of thiese or just 'real' aeroplanes?

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I have no problem with projects, but personally tend to keep information on completed aircraft, or at least those projects that gained wide publicity like the HS.681, P.1154 for instance. It seems that some of these projects tend to wander off into the pure fantasy sometimes.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Don't worry wombat, I'll keep it to genuine projects that were officially sanctioned (even the giant flying boat above was designed to order), the airliner in the bottom pic was even under construction and on order for two airlineswhen the plug was pulled

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Ah Waynos..... but just how much can you trust an order from BOAC / BEA ???:bnghd:

You'd have thought they would have known by then !

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I do a strongly apologize for you Wambat and Woynos. The ve sion I have actually is 53-54 year showed in page 147 called S.F.E.C.M.A.S. Ars1301

new topics

top topics

<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join