It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aircraft picture quiz

page: 59
<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Let's See...

1. Sikorsky S-61F
2. Bit of a guess here, but the wing and windscreen look Miles and the engine looks RR, so I'll say Miles M.24 Master Fighter.
3. Hughes XV-9A "Hot Cycle"
4. Hiller Ten99

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
So close wombat! Good logical thinking on the Miles, it is the prototype 'Miles RR', later nemed Kestrel, from the 1938 Jane's. This trainer prototype led to the Master so thats a powerful bit of deduction there.

All the rest are also spot on, as usual

[edit on 6-2-2006 by waynos]

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
While it's no surprise that aircraft from a particular company seem to have a certain similarity, I find it odd that aircraft design over the years seems to have taken on a sort of national similarity - in that Russian aircraft seem to have a particular character, British aircraft look 'British', French aircraft are.... well, French, etc. Perhaps I imagine this.

Sometimes even the photographic style tends to give away the nationality. Strange that this should be so.

I'm not at all sure how you can categorise this. Aircraft recognition is a very 'photographic' matter. A description just doesn't seem to work. For the last couple of years I've been attempting to classifiy aircraft by their features to enable me to search pictures, but in the end it still comes back to looking at the images.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I don't think you've imagined that at all, I feel exactly the same way.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Waynos:
Do you remember these pictures?

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Yes, some fakes merging F-84F's or RF-84's and Mirages of the Belgian Air Force. Why emile, what about them, and why the
?

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
damn where have i seen those b4 arghh

is it something mesershmit
it for some reason reminds me of that
maybe its the flag on the tail...
I'm so young ans stupid
lets see...

this one should be obvious but damn it is huge

gotta love the nickname on this one

fin

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
1. Douglas D-558-II Skyrocket

2. Antonov An-225

3. Antonov An-22

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 06:17 AM
link   
emile, those images are definitely fake, or at least show fake planes. They may be real photos of something mocked up on the ground, maybe for a movie prop, but they are not real aircraft. Here is the source for those images. As you can see the fact that they both wear the same camouflage makes the job of the faker that much easier.

This is a genuine F-84 Thunderstreak of the Belgian AF;

Here is a genuine Mirage from the same owners.

compare them with the pics you posted and you can see how they have been cobbled together.

Why do you think they are real?

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I was right about them emile, except for the 'movie prop' bit.

After a little digging I have discovered that they were mocked up airfield decoys made from obsolete airframes, so real photos of fake planes it is.

here's the text;

After the operational career of the Belgian machines was over, several aircraft were converted into non-airworthy decoys resembling the F-84F's successor : the Mirage. The conversion consisted in removing the horizontal tail surfaces, modifying the wing surface into a delta shape and adding fake fuselage side inlets and a tapered nose. Undoubtedly, this looked quite convincingly from the air, but viewed from close range at ground level the crude work becomes apparent. It is worthy of note that some decoys even received fake Mirage serials.

So you see they are nothing to get excited about, just airfield junk.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Doctor Waynos and Marster Wombat :
Would you two collect pictures of US AF aircraft carry Standard missile as much as you can to post here for me?

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Not me emile, I don't really categorise aircraft by their load. However a Google Images seach for AGM-78 produces a few results.

[edit on 9/2/06 by The Winged Wombat]

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I'm afraid I don't particularly understand what it is you're asking for. If you go to the airliners.net search page you could type in any aircraft name you want and get pages of photographs, all of very high quality too. They don't just do airliners of course, thats just the name of the site.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Let's run a helicopter

That's enough to cause doctors busy I think

[edit on 11-2-2006 by emile]

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   
HAHA THESE TWO WILL BE ........

[IMG]

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
OK emile....

1. AAC Penetrator
2. Avia B.135 / Av 135
3. Kamov Ka-35
4. Sukhoi Su-7 (first usage of Su-7)
5. Sukhoi Su-25 (probably the naval version by the paint job)
6. Antonov An-225
7. Ansaldo AC.2

Second set...

1. This is a Flettner built in the USA in 1930 (unsure if this is the same Flettner as the German Helicopter pioneer, but I think so)
2. Union Rotorplane

Both of these aircraft were built to experiment with the Magnus Effect of a rotating barrel creating lift

[edit on 11/2/06 by The Winged Wombat]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Very impressiver Wombat. I confess I only knew three of those. Maybe I'll have to rethink the ones I decided not to post because they were 'too hard' ?

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Is there anything wrong with this wingtip?
I thought that wingtip should be up not down.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I have to say your memery is I couldn't imge
Go on!

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by emile

Okay, as much as I've always wanted to be a pioneer and to discover new phenomena and be the first to do things...

Being famous for dying in a ridiculous 'plane has never been high on my list of things to accomplish first!

top topics

<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join