It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aircraft picture quiz

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I know 2, 4 and 5 but I'm amazed at how good winged wombat is. the new king of this thread even and I though I was good! I'll post my answers in the absence of any correct guesses. PS I've not got a clue with 1 & 3.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
They're getting harder !!!

1. Shcherbakov Shche-2
2. Kyushu Q1W Tokai
3. Not A Clue !!!

4. PZL P.37 Los
5. VL Myrsky

Emile:

Other than the BI-1, I don't know any of these - most seem to be Russian prototypes with some German influence - please enlighten us.

My brain is in pain - I'm even having trouble spelling Shcherbakov.....

[edit on 3/5/05 by The Winged Wombat]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Winged Wombat
They're getting harder !!!

1. Shcherbakov Shche-2
2. Kyushu Q1W Tokai

4. PZL P.37 Los
5. VL Myrsky

Although you didn´t spell correct Scherbakov (me neither) I´ll have to say these are all correct.

Still missing n. 3...

[edit on 3-5-2005 by Peronemlin]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Right, my brain hurts less now......

Let's say..... ANBO VIII

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Right, my brain hurts less now......

Let's say..... ANBO VIII

Correct... A lithuanian attack aircraft

I´ll be posting a new set later today, so stay tunned...

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Here's a few to keep hings ticking along but after the standard of recent selections they are very very easy.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Ooops... waynos, we posted a set at the same time...

Well, now you all have a lot of homework!

[edit on 5-5-2005 by Peronemlin]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Jeez, those are much harder than mine. I only know the last one, though the flying boat at no4 definitely rings a bell.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
OK, Waynos easy ones first....

1. Aerospatiale Fouga 90
2. Miles M.52
3. Yakovlev Yak-130
4. Vickers Wellington Prototype
5. Bristol 173 MK II

And now the harder ones....

No, I'll leave them for you Waynos...

Except the last one which you know is the Breguet 1001 Taon.....

I'm off to bed now... see you both tomorrow

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Ha ha, you tease! I'm still trying to remember what the flying boat (ok, amphibian) is

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
And now some from me.....

Unfortunately I am about to move house (a considerable distance, too) so I will be offline for about 2 months

Anyway....

2.(a give-away , hehehe)

good luck....

[edit on 7/5/05 by The Winged Wombat]

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Oh, yeah.... Peronemlin's first four

1. Not totally sure of this one, but I think it is a CANT Z.506 bomber prototype of 1936 refered to as the Z.508
2. Kyushu K11W Shiragiku
3. Kharkov KhAI-5 (R-10)
4. Chyetverikov MDR-6B-3

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
1 = Barkley -Grow T8P-1

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Oh, yeah.... Peronemlin's first four

1. Not totally sure of this one, but I think it is a CANT Z.506 bomber prototype of 1936 refered to as the Z.508
2. Kyushu K11W Shiragiku
3. Kharkov KhAI-5 (R-10)
4. Chyetverikov MDR-6B-3

Sorry for the delay, but here I am!

1. Close, but not correct.
2. Correct.
3. Correct.
4. Almost there...

Keep trying

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Reference No 4.

I've seen a couple of photos labelled differently, but according to Gunston's Aircraft of the Soviet Union, only the MDR-6B-3 prototype had the triple tail - unfortunately most of my reference material is already packed for the move, so can't really go back and check it again.

I did locate this photo on a Russian site labelled Chetverikov MDR-6 (Be-2) which is, of course totally wrong as the aircraft didn't have anything to do with Beriev.

The later service designation was Che-2, but this wouldn't necessarily apply to the MDR-6B-3 as that was a company prototype aimed at improvement in the basic design (although in this case it was a step backward from the close cowled highly streamlined engine nacelles used previously - but did, apparently, keep the props clear of the spray).

However, Gunston could very well have got it wrong, there are other errors in that particular book.

[edit on 8/5/05 by The Winged Wombat]

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
So would it be the Chetverikov MDR-6B-5? Even if this is correct I would, had I remembered it in time, merely have guessed something along the lines of 'Chetverikov Mug' or Che -2 Mug, I didn't realise we were being so precise or I would have called the 'Wellington prototype' as a wrong guess

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Waynos,

I'm not sure exactly what Peronemlin was after, perhaps Che-2, we'll have to wait and see.

There is certainly some mislabelled pictures on the internet - yesterday I came across an official USAF aircraft recognition site which contained Mirage III pictures identified as the Mirage 2000.

I'm quite happy with MDR-6 or Che-2 unless a specific subtype is requested - let's not get carried away with pedantics.

After all, particularly with aircraft from behind the iron curtain, much of the information published in west the has been speculative anyway and there is much revision going on as Russian authors are being published in the west.

Interestingly, chasing the CANT aircraft around the net, I ended up very confused about the year of the Z.1007 prototype as every site seemed to quote a different year.

Ah.... I've just found the shot at www.aerei-italiani.net...

labelled thus - "A great photo the prototype of Cant Z. 1007" (second secion Foto 2)

OK, I've mananged to grab the wrong end of the stick! The Z.508 was a development of the Z.501 flying boat (but in a certain publication I have is described under the heading of the Z.506 floatplane ?). So I've very efficiently managed to confuse myself.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Yes, its very easy to tie yourself in knots isn't it, if you had tyhe patience to look back through the 40 odd pages of this thread you would see I have done it myself on occasion, notably when I confused the Cavalier Mustang with the Piper Enforcer (which I had posted up MYSELF,
)

Incidentally I notice you havent said whether I was right with your N01 pic, I'm not too sure of it because I thought it was a landplane, also the pedant in me wishes to point out that the Wellington prototype was in fact the Vickers B9/32. Of course the answer is valid because although it wasn't called the Wellington, we all know it was effectively the prototype of it, even if it was quite different in several respects. I fought that urge for three days but it got the better of me in the end, sorry.

just for reference I will not get your numbers 2 & 4 in a million years but 3 & 5 are bugging the hell out of me!

[edit on 8-5-2005 by waynos]

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Yes, you are spot on with your answer, Waynos

I'll just leave the others for a couple of days and see if Peronemlin responds.

Isn't it annoying when you know you've seen a picture and you just can't find it again - I feel exactly that way about the twin engined thing in German markings that Emile posted - I know that I know it, just cannot find it.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Well, that was the intention......

Computers, like dogs and cats, obviously know when they are going to move house.....

Removalists arrive tomorrow and this morning the computer's power supply died! Very convenient.

So from an internet cafe close (a relative term) to home.......

The answers to the last set....

1. Barkley Grow T8P-1
2. Henrique Lage HL-8
3. Pander S.IV Panderjager (originally Postjager)
4. Popovski H11B1
5. Payen PA.22

I'll drop in form time to time over the next couple of months, but otherwise will be connectionless.

Have fun

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join