It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I had to stand up to my boss today (REAL TALK)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

I can see how you might draw those conclusions
without knowing all the facts.

Details are EXTREMELY important. I work in a union building, enough said.

You have made a lot of assumption here.

I didn't assume, I alluded to the point that you should check yourself before putting others in check. This is sound advice that anyone should be repeating to themselves daily. I'm sorry if I came off as presumptuous.

Because I had numbers on the board, I made a conscious and deliberate choice fight this battle.

So did you stand up for yourself or hide behind your good numbers? Would you have acted the same if you were having an "off" day?

It is all about establish health boundaries.

When you work for somebody else, they define those "boundaries", in compliance with the law and as we all hope, goodwill. Your supervisor has a right to ask if they notice that you are taking frequent breaks to use the bathroom. Haven't you ever heard of people having a drug problem?

Yesterday he asked me why I went to the bathroom so much.

It appears like he was more concerned with the frequency of you using the bathroom and not what was actually taking place behind the door. It seems that you've twisted the narrative to create a springboard for your verbal uprising.

I agree he should be judging you by your numbers, but do you think the other employees care whether someone is going out on smoke breaks compared to someone who frequently uses the bathroom? In order to maintain "order" sometimes bathroom boundaries must be set. Not to give you a hard time, but to prevent some from taking advantage of the "right" to use the bathroom. Believe me, its like a domino effect in the workforce when other employees catch on that the boss is doing nothing about the abusers. If you wash your hands that often, buy some antimicrobial wet wipes and keep them near you. You might avoid a lot of stress.

edit on 19-12-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem
Lol your method makes me remember an old platoon Sergeant I love it

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

The situation may have looked like you won, but the boss is still the boss and if he is a normal human being (while being a boss), your days are numbered and/or your evaluations tainted unless you are the owner's son or an excellent employee in all other quarters.

Your being nasty toward him seem unjustified and is not excused by your IBS--you have a medical excuse in writing for that, right? Many people have it and can decently explain their problem with anyone--which should have been explained earlier as you hand in your medical note. You, on the other hand acted like an ass. The boss won't forget. I can't image that you keep jobs any length of time with that kind of bottled up anger.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

People who have a problem with you telling the truth
are the people who are living a lie.

Thats a good line for ones signature…

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
a reply to: nwtrucker
Doesn't WalMart consider their slave labor force as "associates"?

I will break my response into two points.

First is Walmart. I 'believe' they were the first to use that label. It goes back at least 20 years or so. Perhaps longer. At least they were the first that I am aware of.

Second is your 'slave labor' comment. I don't know whether you were educated into that belief system or have some personal vested interest in promoting it.

Likely, this is waste of time, but I will make the attempt anyways.

Life, this planet, this society...any society, for that matter, owes you NOTHING. Not health, not prosperity, not happiness and not affluence. Not even survival. Not fairness, nor equality or justice.

That reality is in the same class as gravity, the seasons and eventual death. Immutable.

You can view working for Walmart as slave labor and resent it or you can view it as an opportunity, an experience...growth.

Your call, your choice.

As I am 65 years old, I can assure you I've made more mistakes, mis-steps...outright stupidities than you can likely envision.

I have learnt from them. I pass on as best I can to my daughter and my grandchildren what I have learnt.
I give you the same advise I give them.

Deal with it. You dictate your future and the way you travel it, no one else. NO ONE ELSE. Some have a better starting position than others. So be it. You play the cards you are dealt.

If you have exceptional parenting, or amongst exceptional people, caring, considerate and sharing, assume it is a fluke. Nothing but good luck. That mentality will serve you well.

On the well being of my family, I SWEAR to you I speak nothing but truth in this.

It's up to you....

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: wasaka
Managing people requires a whole different skill set
and I'm saying I have what it takes, what I am saying
is this guy does not.

Coming from someone who is in senior management my professional assessment is you are both unqualified to manage others.

You mean run others, by intimidation and veiled threat, as only a senior manager can. He doesn't work for you.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: wasaka

originally posted by: visitedbythem

Coming from someone who is in senior management my professional assessment is you are both unqualified to manage others.
I have been at my current job for 35 years, and in managment since the late 80's, an I agree with you. In fact, Id fire the both of them.

You and your professional assessment can take a long walk down a short peer. You're fired!

You sir, have an attitude problem! Some people just like to push their weight around and then piss and moan when others disagree with them. It's childish and petty. It's probably a good thing you work in telephone sales, as it's an easy job to get and they are a dime a dozen. That way, when things don't go your way, you can just yell "Abuse!!" and quit, then on to the next one. I hardly call it "abuse" when an employer/manager asks why an employee is constantly in the restroom. Perhaps, since he is new, he is worried about drug use, illness, or unnecessary phone calls on company time. Put yourself in his place and think about it. Wouldn't you ask if the roles were reversed?

But you don't listen to others opinions unless they mesh with yours. It is difficult..no, impossible to try to make you see that you were wrong. I guess the old saying "You can't fix foolish!" applies here. You act like a tough guy, unless things get dicey, then you call out the infantry (i.e.: your wife threat….see post about calling cops on boss)
edit on 19-12-2015 by jdb51 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-12-2015 by jdb51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: jdb51

Self-righteous seems to describe you more so than anyone else commenting on your post. You blame everyone for your shortcomings, and the only thing you do to try to change your situation is to get into verbal altercations and threats with management.

I apologize for calling you a peach. Perhaps "unemployed" would be more to your liking. There are plenty of people on this planet that have to deal with bosses and management that they don't like, and are able to keep steady jobs and make a good living without resorting to threats and constant altercations. But I forgot, you're "making the workplace better for everyone" by doing so!

love the sarcasm. It has a ring of truth.
no I would not prefer "unemployed" but that was a great come back line. touché

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I work for myself, I dont shop at wal mart, however my mother did work at wal mart as management and she was fired shortly after disagreement with higher management about benefit changes, hours, and serious drop in pay, she was there for quite a number of years, long enough to have a pic with Hillary Clinton when she was on the board back in the 90s and visited the store my mom was working at. I didn't mean to offend you. There really is a corporate arm that does exactly what I speak of, exploit people like slaves and make mass profit off of their back. Most people I encounter in the realm of senior citizens do not understand this new world around them, most stay closeted and apart from what is really going on.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

He has been there for a whopping eight days. I would wager that this confrontational demeanor is nothing he picked up on this job.

He defended himself from invasion of privacy. The situation could have been 'managed' better by asking the man what his problem was privately instead of confronting him on the floor in front of everyone, then resorting to anger when it backfired.

I think he handled himself best he could when faced with an ex cop style of dictation.

edit on 19-12-2015 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

You and your professional assessment can take
a long walk down a short peer.

You're fired

You sir, have an attitude problem! Some people just like to push their weight around and then piss and moan when others disagree with them. It's childish and petty. It's probably a good thing you work in telephone sales, as it's an easy job to get and they are a dime a dozen. That way, when things don't go your way, you can just yell "Abuse!!" and quit, then on to the next one. I hardly call it "abuse" when an employer/manager asks why an employee is constantly in the restroom. Perhaps, since he is new, he is worried about drug use, illness, or unnecessary phone calls on company time. Put yourself in his place and think about it. Wouldn't you ask if the roles were reversed?

But you don't listen to others opinions unless they mesh with yours. It is difficult..no, impossible to try to make you see that you were wrong. I guess the old saying "You can't fix foolish!" applies here. You act like a tough guy, unless things get dicey, then you call out the infantry (i.e.: your wife threat….see post about calling cops on boss)

I don't disagree with that assessment.

I am ANGRY. And guess what. I like it.

I am not a person to be trifled with.

If you don't like REAL TALK, then don't talk to me.

I will dial 911 (and not 311) when I need to.
I will pull out the big guns when attacked
but I hold my nuclear option in reserve.

Keep your horns away from mine and we
will get along just fine.

edit on 19-12-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
You just don't get it, do you? You're small minded and don't play well with others….I rest my case. Let your words and posts speak for themselves.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
I work for myself, I dont shop at wal mart, however my mother did work at wal mart as management and she was fired shortly after disagreement with higher management about benefit changes, hours, and serious drop in pay, she was there for quite a number of years, long enough to have a pic with Hillary Clinton when she was on the board back in the 90s and visited the store my mom was working at. I didn't mean to offend you. There really is a corporate arm that does exactly what I speak of, exploit people like slaves and make mass profit off of their back. Most people I encounter in the realm of senior citizens do not understand this new world around them, most stay closeted and apart from what is really going on.

Welcome to planet earth, I suppose. When labelling a huge Corporation like Walmart, one will invariably find injustices as well as successes.

Having been in a huge number of Walmart distribution centers, nation-wide, I've seen both. I have resented their policies towards trucking companies and also understand them and their reasoning. I've seen many in the mid-west that found employment at Walmart a perfect fit for a second income. The man working for higher wages and the woman working for lower ones but an outstanding health package that covered her whole family as her higher waged husband's employment didn't offer health care.

The combined efforts led to relative happiness for them.

Too many variable to slap a blanket label, IMO.

You work for yourself, many advantages...much responsibility and stress, yes? Not unlike the easier version of owner-operators in the trucking field.

Your call, again, Looks like you have...good on you. Your choice won't work for everyone, carry on......

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Well put, again my assessment of slave labor is also well deserved IN SOME instances. My outlook comes out of a number of years dedicated to the USMC and those after while in college and now a professional welder. What I do for a living is very misunderstood at times. I have realms of things I deal with all the time that most other people with there W-2 jobs never even heard of. My grandfather owned a farm and was also a trucker, he used to truck imported cars from Germany as his main job my uncles and I guess me as much help as I was when I was a little boy used to do all the work at the farm (ironically where I learned machining and weldment) I would suppose my IDE of values for work and productivity may be quite a bit different then others.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

Because I had numbers on the board, I made a conscious and deliberate choice fight this battle.

So did you stand up for yourself or hide behind your good numbers? Would you have acted the same if you were having an "off" day?

No, I just my spent my "political capital" as soon as I got it.
When I hit a red light I turn right and keep moving.
That's how I roll, baby.

It is all about establish health boundaries.

When you work for somebody else, they define those "boundaries", in compliance with the law and as we all hope, goodwill. Your supervisor has a right to ask if they notice that you are taking frequent breaks to use the bathroom. Haven't you ever heard of people having a drug problem?

Sure, sure, sure.
But let me just tell you, most people at this job smoke weed.
They hire these people with a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
Well, not a policy per se, but it an unspoken rule.

Yesterday he asked me why I went to the bathroom so much.

It appears like he was more concerned with the frequency of you using the bathroom and not what was actually taking place behind the door. It seems that you've twisted the narrative to create a springboard for your verbal uprising.

That is a valid point. Glad you brought that up.
Let me address that so we can move forward.

I did springboard over common sense and yes
I was picking a fight in large part because of
a past trauma. However, I was fully aware
of how my history was coloring my present.

After giving it much thought, and after getting
advice from trusted friends and did what I felt
was right for me -- based on a gut feeling.
That might have be a little unfair to this guy
but he is a big boy and took it like man.

After our exchange he told me: "Your tripping"
Which is to say, "you're all heated of nothing."
And yes, he was right, I was tripping.

I don't deny that. I was tripping. But right or
wrong, I had to express myself in just that way.
I said and did what I had to do.

I make no apologies for that.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: jdb51
You just don't get it, do you? You're small minded and don't play well with others….I rest my case. Let your words and posts speak for themselves.

Get what? I don't live inside your head, thank God!

You attack me by calling me "small minded" and for what?
You know what people do went they feel attacked right?
That's right, they attack back. I can see you live in that
world (but safely behind a computer screen) So tell me,
why are you attacking me? Do want me to attack back?

That is "small minded" for sure.

I don't get what your motive is.

Does your ego demand you win an argument with me?
Now that is truly, truly "small minded" (and pathetic).

Because I "don't play well with others" ??? Who says? You?
WHO ARE YOU? You don't know me, or how well I "play"
with others. What I don't play well with is FALSE AUTHORITY
that ACTS ABUSIVE, INTRUSIVE, or otherwise DEGRADING.
My policy is zero tolerance. And like to play rough.

The same kind of BS you are dishing out right now is the crap
I do accept or tolerate. "You just don't get it, do you?"

No I do not.

Move on down the road Sally, and take you opinion with you.

edit on 19-12-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I have been following this post for a while now, as it is very entertaining. However, I have noticed you keep getting on and off ATS, and was wondering if you were using the bathroom excessively and if so, why?

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
"Sally" here….I sincerely was replying to your rant(s) about not getting along with your bosses and your feelings of being victimized constantly. I do not wish to antagonize you, I was just attempting to make you realize your anger is controlling you and life is full of people criticizing you. You need to get a handle on your anger, and your reaction to others. You can't control how others react to you, but you CAN control how you react to others. Have a happy (and peaceful) holiday!

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I did springboard over common sense and yes
I was picking a fight in large part because of
a past trauma. However, I was fully aware
of how my history was coloring my present.

After giving it much thought, and after getting
advice from trusted friends and did what I felt
was right for me -- based on a gut feeling.
That might have be a little unfair to this guy
but he is a big boy and took it like man.

After our exchange he told me: "Your tripping"
Which is to say, "you're all heated of nothing."
And yes, he was right, I was tripping.

I don't deny that. I was tripping. But right or
wrong, I had to express myself in just that way.
I said and did what I had to do.

I make no apologies for that.

I can accept that. You seem logical enough to be above lashing out though. Some bosses even develop vendettas for employees who can do their job well, but are pricks. Don't be a prick, lol. If your numbers are good, it seems like hes looking for any reason to be a jerk, possibly hoping to provoke you into getting flagrant. At that point he can tell you to GTFO! Try keeping your cool, maybe even show a little "extra" respect outside of your level of comfort with him and let some time lapse. You may have planted a seed, now you both have to grow out of that experience.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Listen--you should have never told him your condition. Now that you told him, it is his business because of company policy. My dad's a manager somewhere. He always tells me how he says to his employees --No don't tell me I don't want to know. Because it protects him. Your manager is obviously not too smart, but you can't get angry--that's NOT smart either. Please remember that you're supported to be on your best behavior at work. Don't act like a child. Be professional. You're not going to get your way by acting petulant. You must just deal with it. Go feel like a man because you have integrity and don't let your emotions control you. Feel like a man because you acted respectfully even when you could have acted on your impulses and behaved like a jag-off instead.

Do you have a significant other or are you single? I am going to take a wild stab in the dark and say that you're single. Otherwise, I'd think the woman in your life would have told you all of this already. And if you do have a special lady friend and she hasn't told you, the reason she hasn't told you is because you haven't told her anything. You either need to start opening up to her, or you need to start looking really hard at yourself deep down and see yourself as you truly are. You shouldn't be righteously indignant. You're the one who told your boss the information. That's on you. Next time, tell him you don't feel comfortable sharing that information and watch how you avoid this whole problem from the get-go. Use your brain, please. And realize that your testosterone lies to you. You're a dude. Woohoo gratz bro. We all know that already. Be confident. Come on man. Don't get your self worth from such a worthless place.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join