It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1050 yard shot!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I love these guys! Thats a 3,150 foot shot!

www.usmc.mil...

Marine sniper credited with longest confirmed kill in Iraq!

AR RAMADI, Iraq (Jan. 02, 2005) -- Seen through a twenty-power spot scope, terrorists scrambled to deliver another mortar round into the tube. Across the Euphrates River from a concealed rooftop, the Marine sniper breathed gently and then squeezed a few pounds of pressure to the delicate trigger of the M40A3 sniper rifle in his grasp.

The rifle's crack froze the booming Fallujah battle like a photograph. As he moved the bolt back to load another round of 7.62mm ammunition, the sniper's spotter confirmed the terrorist went down from the shot mere seconds before the next crack of the rifle dropped another.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Dude that's a damm fine shot like, you seen the canadian one in Afghanistan?
2,430 metres.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
2,430 metres.

As in METERS? You saying thats was a 6000 foot shot? A mile is 5280 feet.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
2,430 metres.

But I highly doubt it was with 7.62 ammo.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
As in METERS? You saying thats was a 6000 foot shot? A mile is 5280 feet.

Yeah was with a .50 cal like but still that 7.62 shot is in the same league like!
Pretty damm good shot!

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
with a Barrett M82 (.50 cal) you not only could nail a headshot from over a mile away, but you could take out a friggin truck with it.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
1000 yards is another day at the office for military snipers. A mile or more is a really nice shot, a hell of a shot, and it takes a lot of skill to pull those off, even with .50 cal and high end optics. I think most former snipers can agree that 1000 yards is a good shot, but not that uncommon for the military. Law enforcement snipers usually claim shots past 300m as awesome, but they have different conditions I suppose, and slightly different equipment. Many civi snipers work from rooftops and building windows, during operations like hostage rescue, and during negotiation.

In the end I don't know why, but the SWAT snipers talk themselves up over 300m consistently, and military guys don't usually brag about their 1000m shots, because that's their job. It's a bit odd to see an article like that actually. I know many people who are capable of making shots at three times that range against stationary targets. I'm not saying it was a bad shot, so I don't want to hear anybody put those words in my mouth.

autopilot
You can do that with just about any of the .50 cal rifles can't you? You can shoot through brick at targets behind, put a round through engine blocks, manifolds, pretty much anything you want. It's theoretically possible to take out things like copters and planes too. A scary force multiplier, I don't know why there aren't more snipers in the military. It's a very effective technique when you have technological superiority and reliable ammunition supply lines.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Wow cool find I knew about the Ccanadian sniper in Afghanistan that held the record taken from a Marine in Vietnam. Granted they didnt have the 50 cal sniper rifle in Vietnam though.

Most people can make a 1/2 mile shot with a 50 cal with enough practice you dont have to be a military sniper to hit that far with the 50

Thats still a good shot for a 7.62mm round IMHO

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
You have to respect badasses that can kill people like that

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Granted they didnt have the 50 cal sniper rifle in Vietnam though.

They had, but it was not Barret. That guy taking down whole company of Vietcong was using 0.50 cal.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Granted they didnt have the 50 cal sniper rifle in Vietnam though.

They had, but it was not Barret. That guy taking down whole company of Vietcong was using 0.50 cal.

ya the sniper in vietnam was using an M2 .50 cal machine gun with a scope mounted on it.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ebolazebra
ya the sniper in vietnam was using an M2 .50 cal machine gun with a scope mounted on it.

For some odd reason, that made me think of Skippy not being allowed to mount a bayonet on crew-served weapon empalcements

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Standard military sniper shots are 500+, when going to shooting comps. 1000yds is the high score and most of them achieve that regulary, however, its how well the shot is placed. 1050 yds, Oorah!

When I was over there in Iraq, returned a few months ago, the Marines we had at our facility, HQ there, but operated in the eastern part of Anbar province, would come over to the weapons shelter we had and we would give them DshK to use as sniper rifles, of course those guys would alter them to fit their ops as needed. Why not, if the terrorists and insurgency morons are gonna use those weapons on us, why not fire back at them with their own weapons.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Didn't you guys use AKs as well in Iraq? since the M16 was fouling up alot?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Actually some of them carry them around as a secondary weapon, but AK's there are not sighted, and alot of them are pretty banged up, but they do have them as secondary weapons, mainly those doing ops. But not used as a primary weapon, do to sound differences when shooting, dont want to mistakenly think you are shooting insurgents.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Over 1000 yards is always a good shot, i dont care who you are, or how you were trained. But it is possible for anyone who has the right weapons, and shoots enough.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Damn. The enemy will think twice before they start mortering Marines again. Hooray!

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
nothing compared to this

"Hathcock's 2500 yard confirmed kill with a .50 caliber Browning rifle-longest sniper kill ever documented"

but still, dang

Source: www.navysealteams.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Hathcocks kill is epic. Hitting a suspected VC riding a buffalo in a rice paddy. Could you imagine the cross winds that would have affected the bullet! Thats some hardcore shooting. Its no wonder enemy forces and civilens who are in a conflict zone where US forces are believe the US can just reach out and kill a select target in the middle of nowhere.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Anyone who likes sniper stories should read "Dear Mom, A Sniper's Vietman". You'll love it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join