It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Working on new aquaponics system ideas welcome.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I have a few system's going. All 3 are using dc pumps and solar. Its not perfect but they are ok. Id like to make a aquaponics natural system. I want rainbows, i know they take longer but thats not the big problem right now. I want to run in solar if i can but the main thing is i want it like a closed loop stream. I would like to make it as close to a stream as possible. So grow beds or containers along the line of the stream, i know the pumps to make it happen are gonna be rough but, any ideas would help.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: madwilly

how bout you give us some info. as far as i know you are trying to grow something using hydroponics and solar. solar how, because technically everything worth setting up a system for needs light. this is vague. more details please

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

does rainbows mean somthing?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   

not hydro, aqua. im using harber fright solar panels, running 600gph bilge pumps. direct connect. so when the suns up the pump runs in the greenhouse. thats not really the problem. im trying to set up a new system using rainbow trout instead of crappies. i have a few golf cart batterys to store power for the new system. Id like it to run 24/7 but i think im gonna need more solar panels. All that is stuff i can figure out, i was asking if anyone had any good grow bed layouts for constant stream aquaponics, sorry if i didnt explain it well.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
i mean no offense by this but im not trying to grow anything, i have grown fruits and vegetables for over 7 years in different types of aquaponic systems, without ever using a single light. so not sure if we are talking about the same thing.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

are you farming rainbow trout?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

Not yet, that was the reason for the post. To see if anyone had any good ideas for closed loop systems, where the rainbows could swim and be healthier than in a stag pool.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

ok cool i have no input on this idea since i have not done anything of the sort, only small time bubbleponics for tomatoes

i do believe as a kid i went to a fish farm and i saw the track that the fish ran in was made out of concreate i believe dont quote me
edit on 19-12-2015 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

no prob. i have not done anything with bubbles for tomatoes, i will definitly look into it. sounds fun, and everyone here loves tomatoes. most the systems ive made end up short on heavy fruiting plants. would love to find a good one for healthy tomatoes.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

the onlt thing that gets tough is when the rootball gets too healthy!!! the roots thrive so much they end up suffocating themselves. but was a fun experiece

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I know a little about aquaponics. I would suggest using crayfish in the system to help cut down on cleaning and using one of the systems nature uses to remove and recycle fish waste. You could also harvest the crayfish for food. Hmm I wonder if lobster would survive in the system, cold water fish species that could match the temps the lobster could survive and thrive at. Just an idea but go with some sort of crayfish species. The temperature tolerance is 65-77 F (18-25 C) for most species and would suit well in the same temperature range as rainbow trout. I would suggest harvesting them from a local lake, stream or river to avoid the chance of spreading an invasive species in your area.

top topics

join