It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Appeals Court Throw Out Andrea Yates Conviction

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning

I wonder what the stats are for women suffering this illness who commit murder and/or suicide world-wide or US/Canada. Any ideas amb1063?

I read that 4% of women with postpartum psychosis commit infanticide and 5% commit suicide (it is included in one of the above posts & several of the links.)

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   

To execute her (and capital punishment is an abomination), is to sweep the problem under the rug like it doesn't exist. Post partum psychosis is a serious mental illness and the sooner society takes it seriously the better. Executing a mentally ill woman will not bring back those poor children. Research and solutions may stop another woman from going down the same road.

I disagree with the first part of your statement on 2 levels:
1) I agree with capital punishment, in fact I don't think it's used enough
2) That it is like sweeping it under the rug.

I do agree with you however that this illness needs to be more visible. Until this thread I'd never even heard of postpartum psychosis. I'd only heard of postpartum depression. No it will not bring back those children - and that is soooo sad.

Research may help others, but how does this woman staying alive help that research?

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by superdude

I disagree with the first part of your statement on 2 levels:
1) I agree with capital punishment, in fact I don't think it's used enough

That's another discussion for another day.

Canada dispensed with the death penalty in the 60's thankfully. And I'm sure the wrongfully convicted are happy of that. I know of at least 4 instances in the last 10 years here where men were wrongfully convicted of murder who spent half their lives in prison, but who's convictions were eventually overturned because of DNA which proved them innocent... If they were in the US they would have been long dead. To me, hard-labour is far more a deterrent to murder than capital punishment when its over in an instant.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   

That's another discussion for another day.

Yep! Looking forward to it.

Maybe we can sign up for one of those debate forums. I've never done it, but it might be cool.
No matter how you feel about the handling of this woman, I would hope that everyone will say a prayer for those 5 little children.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
SD.................then we will agree to disagree on these points!!

no harm done and your points are very valid as well!

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Yep! Looking forward to it.

Maybe we can sign up for one of those debate forums. I've never done it, but it might be cool.
No matter how you feel about the handling of this woman, I would hope that everyone will say a prayer for those 5 little children.

How would be go about it? I'm just new here...but I have lots to say!

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Thanx for the kind words.

Yep I absolutely agree to disagree...even though I'm right!

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

and monkey's are shooting out my hinny...............NOT

you are a nut!

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

you are a nut!

Yes, yes I am.

I just opened up a thread called "How to set up a debate forum" as I have no idea how to do it. If you'd like to have a debate sometime let me know. I like your style, and your reasoning as well - even if it is misguided

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   

you are a nut!

Yes, yes I am.

I just opened up a thread called "How to set up a debate forum" as I have no idea how to do it. If you'd like to have a debate sometime let me know. I like your style, and your reasoning as well - even if it is misguided

ohhhhh PULLLLEEZZZZ you are such the smarty pants.

sure i'm ALWAYS up for a good healthy INTELLIGENT discussion. i saw the thread and for some reason i SUSPECTED that you were gonna try and drag me in to one.

no problems w/that at all.

angie

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   

sure i'm ALWAYS up for a good healthy INTELLIGENT discussion. i saw the thread and for some reason i SUSPECTED that you were gonna try and drag me in to one.

no problems w/that at all.

Excellent! One problem though, it needs to be intelligent? Hmmmm, I'll see if I can pull that off!

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
SD...............we must be on the same wavelength today.............

cause when i wrote the intelligent part.............i almost came back with

"but SD in your case i'll make an exception"

hahhaaa that's great!!

angie

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
You should have and1063! Never pull punches!
That is awesome!

Looking forward to seeing you around.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

You should have and1063! Never pull punches!
That is awesome!

Looking forward to seeing you around.

since i'm still learning everyone out here..........i'm not sure of sense of humor for everyone..............that might totally TIC off someone.

so i thought i'd pass............now that i know you're a fellow nutjob..........no holds barred ok.............

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   

since i'm still learning everyone out here..........i'm not sure of sense of humor for everyone..............that might totally TIC off someone.

so i thought i'd pass............now that i know you're a fellow nutjob..........no holds barred ok.............

You got a deal.

For what it's worth, the people here for the most part are very cool. Here's another misguided thought process for you - worrying if you tic someone off. Don't use profanity, but be yourself! I see I have so much to teach you!

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   

You got a deal.

For what it's worth, the people here for the most part are very cool. Here's another misguided thought process for you - worrying if you tic someone off. Don't use profanity, but be yourself! I see I have so much to teach you!

how can i be myself if i can't use profanity!!!!!

i just like to make my points diplomatically and not step on toes........ when you call someone "NOT INTELLIGENT" then those are fighting words for some folks..........

but i'll keep the thought in mind and losen up.

angie

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   

how can i be myself if i can't use profanity!!!!!

i just like to make my points diplomatically and not step on toes........ when you call someone "NOT INTELLIGENT" then those are fighting words for some folks..........

but i'll keep the thought in mind and losen up.

Nice! I agree that you can have a real nice conversation using many four letter words!
Actually I prefer the words, stupid, dumb, moron, nitwit, to not intelligent.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Now I know you are a comedian. I like that

Look forward to putting my dukes up with you thru words!

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
How many people murder someone and aren't mentally ill in some respect? Scott Peterson was labled a sociopath. A definate mental condition. Should he escape the death penalty if he indeed killed Laci (I doubt think he did it but lets pretend he did)? There are alot of crazy people out there. Gonna make excuses for all of them?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join