It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon in talks to lease up to 20 767's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Amazon is not happy about the bottlenecks it's seeing created by existing expedited shipping companies. Amazon has been experimenting with the idea in a trial operation out of Wilmington, Ohio. Now it looks like they are getting serious about it and are currently in talks to lease 20 Boeing 767's to fill their own expedited shipping needs. What is also a possibility if they expand with this idea is they may be able to compete with the likes of UPS and Fed-Ex.

“I believe they are serious about looking at this,” said the leasing executive, who asked not to be named because he may later do business with Amazon. “They are not going to hang about.”

One analyst even speculates Amazon could deliver for other companies, putting it in direct competition with UPS and FedEx, a move that would dramatically shake up the express package business.

www.seattletimes.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Shouldn't they be looking at leasing Global Hawks? Or will these be turned into UAVs?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

This was in my head this week.

I said to a co worker. at this rate amazon is going to have their own fleet of jets to move things around.

Amazon should partner with usps to get packages delivered.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Maybe this is just the next step in evolution for their master plan. As soon as the FAA allows jets to fly autonomously through controlled airspace in the US, I'll bet they'd be all over that.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I like it.!!!! This will be good for the consumer.

The only time we see true competition is at the oligopoly level.

The last time we saw this was when the online tech industries (google fiber,netflix,amazon , took the incumbent telecom industries (comcrap,verizon,att) on and reinstated net neutrality principles.

Being that amazon business is so dependent on shipping it makes sense to get their hands wet and truly investigate the financial possibilities and operating costs.
edit on 091231America/ChicagoFri, 18 Dec 2015 18:09:00 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Might be.

I was kidding, but upon reflection, I think you're right.

We're seeing a return of the industrial conglomerates. Google is one. Amazon another. Much like what we had in the 1950s. Ford didn't just build cars, but even chunks of the Apollo program, forex.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Those are some insane numbers being tossed around like nothing.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I guess Amazon is under the mantra "go big or go home".

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I'm honestly surprised they haven't done it already. I've been by a number of their DCs and they're all huge.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

A co-worker of mine looked into getting a CE job at one of their facilities. One of the job requirements was to be able to walk over a mile a day to get from one end of the building to the other to repair the conveyor systems.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Yeah, I have no trouble believing that
The only places I've seen that are bigger are the main FedEx hubs. Now those are huge.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Yup, the on here is almost its own airport in and of itself. Considering the amount of cargo that goes through here, it isn't surprising.

Thing is, there must be a lot of automation as I don't know any Fed-Ex employees (beyond delivery people). They don't rank very high on the "biggest employers" list either.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Everything except final sorting is automated. They sort it into the containers by hand, but getting to that point is all barcode readers and switching arms.
edit on 12/18/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join