It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All schools shut down in Augusta County, Virginia, over Islam homework

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
All schools shut down in Augusta County, Virginia, over Islam homework

Oh noez!! The kids were asked to LEARN something about ANOTHER CULTURE!!

And the parents lose their minds.....

After a teacher at a Virginia school handed out a standard homework assignment on Islam, such an angry backlash flooded in that it prompted officials to close every single school in the county as a safety precaution.

"While there has been no specific threat of harm to students, schools and school offices will be closed Friday, December 18, 2015," Augusta County Schools said. Extracurricular activities were shut down Thursday afternoon.

And social media exploded over the school lesson -- a simple drawing assignment -- into a caustic discussion about religion and education.

Why shut down the schools? Well, because it's un-Virginian to learn anything about other cultures, or try to understand other people....
duh!!!

"Neither of these lessons, nor any other lessons in the world geography course, are an attempt at indoctrination to Islam or any other religion or a request for students to renounce their own faith or profess any belief," Augusta County Schools official Eric Bond said in a statement to CNN affiliate WHSV.

Not enough
But that hasn't been enough for Kimberly Herndon, who kept her ninth-grade son home from school.

"There was no trying about it. The sheet she gave out was pure doctrine in its origin," she told WHSV.

"I will not have my children sit under a woman who indoctrinates them with the Islam religion when I am a Christian," she said.

Heaven forbid that they learn something you didn't want them to know!!
What will happen? Will the sky fall? Is understanding and education the poison concoction that will ruin them forever?

If my kids had come home with an assignment to learn about the Yanomamo in the Amazon, I'd have said, "Cool! It's important to step outside your worldview.".....likewise if they'd had calligraphy homework to try to emulate Chinese or Japanese or Sanskrit or Arabic or any other language.

The "danger" there in Virginia is from crazed, poorly educated, paranoid parents who are terrified that learning something about the world will make their kids' heads sprout tentacles -- parents who have guns. It's beyond ridiculous. It speaks to the Extremist Christian terrorism lurking just under the surface. I feel really sorry for any of those kids whose IQ is higher than .... oh, say....70ish.....who are naturally curious and interested in more information. In learning.

Oh well - they can (and will) rebel in their own time. You can't stop a kid from learning whatever he's interested in.

I'd be interested in ATSers responses to the possibility that their children might be taught something about the wider world.

I'm all for it. I'm sure Malala would be, too.
What about you all??

edit on 12/18/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
So you think it's alright to teach religion in public schools then?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

poor ms herndon - it must be terrible to be so insecure that the mere knowledge of other ideologies cannot be tollerated

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Already posted.

Please direct your comments to here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join