It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plane Flying Into A Wave Off Carrier Deck!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Not trying to derail the thread, but here is an interesting note:

I don't know the actual model of that jet engine, but it looks like a fairly high bypass ratio turbofan.

In an engine like that, which are the vast majority of commercial jet engines nowadays, a large percentage of the air (and in this case, water), actually flows around the core of the engine. That huge fan on the front actually acts like a propeller (or a huge ducted fan). The General Electric GE90, as used on the Boeing 777 has a bypass ratio of 9:1. Meaning that 90% of the air(and the water, in the above video) actually flows AROUND the turbojet portion of the engine.

Not meaning to detract from the coolness of the "water test" video, I just thought it was interesting.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Wow, that take off was amazing-- I too thought it went into the drink, and
gasped for air when I saw the plane take off.

Great Video.

Rebel 5

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   
It's a wonder it didn't completely 'frag' the props when it hit the water. Must have been a pretty thin wall of water.

That must have been an earth shattering experience for all on-board. First the slam of hitting the water, followed by the immediate sling-shot effect of the aircraft accelerating like a rocket for a second.

WOW!!

<< 1   >>

join