It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star wars TFA - thoughts ? CAUTION CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Went to the theater last night and seen this amazing movie
For those of you who have seen it already what are your thoughts on the movie?

CONTAINS SPOILERS!!

I was greatly impressed by the movie. I think its second to return of the jedi. The later being my favourite.
Carry fischer has aged greatly but i still got the princess Leia feel from her.

One thing maybe this is widely known to all but me, but is Rey, Han and Leias daughter?
At the end of the movie Rey and Leia hug. I had to think back, did these 2 even meet at any point during the movie? I couldnt remember. But i dont think so.
It would make sense when Ren says to her, you think of Solo as the father you never had.
Then the flash backs of Reys childhood, behing left behind on Jakku. Makes sense to me.
As well how shes just as strong in the force as Ren, which was proven in the light saber battle.

Aswell... Han Solo...looks like he finally got his wish of his character being killed off.
I was stunned! Fricken stunned, when Kylo Ren, his own freaking son, became responsible for the legendary smugglers death.
Looks like the millennium falcon will hold the record for the keslar run at 12 parsec's
Thats unless Chewie and Rey start the smuggling business together.

I was constantly distracted during the movie due to some little puke kicking the seat the entire time.
By the 3rd time of telling the kid to stop i had already missed a good portion of the movie due to my inner rage and conflict towards the dark side. If i could force choke... There would have been a body count in that theater.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Yup while not said the way Han looked at her was a look of love (Ahhhhh
).
I have just got back also and yup she is the other twin.
Also she is very strong in the force no training and she out forced that evil boy.
And I have her lightsaber

Oh and Chewies knows also...he knows.
edit on 18-12-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Really loved it. Don't have any major complaints besides Finn was giving me shades of Jar Jar, his motivations make no sense to me.

Kylo Ren also doesn't feel menacing at all, more like an angsty teen who's been given too much power...I guess that's the dark side in a nutshell though.

Glad Chewie made it.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

He had a conscious and did something about it.
Poe and Rey were the first people to treat him as an individual not just a rank and number.
I liked him.
I suspect he has the force, I think Kylo felt it at the beginning.
Oh and yes so glad Chewie made it.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Thats whats got me confused about him. So he was taken as a child and forced into stormtrooper training. They treated him as a rank and number, he received the same treatment as everyone else in the same situation as him...yet he's the only one to "have a conscience"? Also if he was always treated as a rank/file then where did his personality come from, his wise-cracks imply that he had friends in the First Order, ones he goofed around with and wisecracked with while he was growing up. Either way it's not a big deal, thought he was fine and I'm interested to see where his character will go.

I don't think he is a force user. I think Kylo recognized him on Jakku because he was going through a lot of emotional distress, something the Sith and Jedi are very keen to sensing.

What did you think about Shiny Trooper? Felt like she was just there to be shiny and be in promotional pictures.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Just got back, I hate cinemas, I had to get a disabled seat which was on the first row so my neck was killing after about 15 mins then I needed to pee half way through, but besides being uncomfortable. I really enjoyed it. I thought Ray Finn and bb8 were great. Leia was great, c3po made me chuckle the hero was really chewie IMO

I just want to see it again, in the comfort of my own room. It was great to see Luke at the end and looking forward to the next instalment. M sure I'll see it again over the holiday period just not so close to the screen.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I LOVED IT.

Lots of people attacking it for having many similarities to episode 4, I noticed the parallels but it didn't come close to ruining it for me, as it did for some others. After the travesty that was Lucas's prequel trilogy, this was an absolute bullseye. It is a Star Wars movie that truly measures up to the original films, made for true blue Star Wars fans.

The prequels and the revisions of the OT were the result of G Lucas surrounding himself with yes men... there was no one to reign him in and curb his overuse of bad cg, his clumsy and all-too-obvious references and explanations of unimportant things from episodes 4-6, or the pathetically horrible dialogue writing, directing, and acting in 1-3. The awesome thrill ride of episode 7 is the result of collaboration and cooperation between teams of writers, set/costume designers, actors, and a director who are all at their highest level. They love and respect the Star Wars universe, and it comes through in every scene and every line.

As for Rey's parents, I have a feeling Luke must be her father. She seems incredibly strong in her aptitude with the force, especially for a complete noob. She could be the twin sister of Ren, the age would be about right. But I didn't get a parent/daughter feeling between she and either Han or Leia, but aunt and uncle maybe. Also her being a twin and the daughter of Han and Leia seems a little too obvious.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This movie is on par with Empire (I know blasphemy!) its just that good, and like Empire its not perfect, far from it, but its the humour and how they capture that old magic again. I think its a testament to just how amazing this movie is that I found the new characters just as interesting as the legends of old.

On the subject of Ray I don't think she and Ren are related. I think that there is a whole other story to her back story that has nothing to do with the Skywalker family tree.

I do however think its possible that Fin and Lando are related, as in the Empire stole Lando's kid.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
dp

edit on 18-12-2015 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Admittedly, I have been hard on JJ, but I must say he pulled off what I didn't think he could. A film worthy of the name Star Wars. We'll see if he can pull off the next two episodes.

I'm thinking Rey is possibly Luke's daughter, and there's more to the story than his nephew turning to the dark side. I'm thinking Rey was put on that planet, so the First order, and Kylo Ren wouldn't know about her, or who she is. Which is why Han and Leia didn't tell her who she was, either. To protect her, and leave it to Luke to tell her.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

have been hard on JJ, but I must say he pulled off what I didn't think he could. A film worthy of the name Star Wars. We'll see if he can pull off the next two episodes.

JJ is not going to be directing the next two movies or any of the anthology movies.

Rain Johnson will be the Writer/Director of Episode 8 keep in mind his "biggest" movie to date was the disaster that was "Looper" but did direct a couple of the really good Breaking Bad episodes. JJ's only role in Episode 8 might be as a Executive producer. Next years Rouge One will be directed by Gareth Edwards whose previous works are equally unimpressive having worked on the latest Godzilla movie. Really the biggest person behind the scenes that is going to be involved in all of the movies is Kathleen Kennedy who is thankfully one of the most successful in the business.

edit on 18-12-2015 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
All I want to know is why Solo shouted Ben while his son was on the bridge thing.???

None of solos sons were called Benn...

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: BennyOj
All I want to know is why Solo shouted Ben while his son was on the bridge thing.???

None of solos sons were called Benn...

That was in the old EU.

Disney got rid of it when they took over so basically you have to go into this movie understanding that anything ever written as part of the EU before 2014 is now not considered to be cannon. So with that said han and Leia never actually had a son called Jacen or Anikin nor was he a twin and so on. Rather in this new era of true star wars cannon, Han was actually married years before he met Leia (despite his denials) and then after the events of Jedi he and Leia had a child named Ben Solo who was trained in the ways of the force by Luke but at some point turned to the dark side.

I know for many fans that its annoying that all that old EU now has no influence on anything in the new Disney era of star wars but i personally quite like it.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

have been hard on JJ, but I must say he pulled off what I didn't think he could. A film worthy of the name Star Wars. We'll see if he can pull off the next two episodes.

JJ is not going to be directing the next two movies or any of the anthology movies.

Rain Johnson will be the Writer/Director of Episode 8 keep in mind his "biggest" movie to date was the disaster that was "Looper" but did direct a couple of the really good Breaking Bad episodes. JJ's only role in Episode 8 might be as a Executive producer. Next years Rouge One will be directed by Gareth Edwards whose previous works are equally unimpressive having worked on the latest Godzilla movie. Really the biggest person behind the scenes that is going to be involved in all of the movies is Kathleen Kennedy who is thankfully one of the most successful in the business.

Thanks for the reminder. I completely forgot JJ was only doing episode 7. Hopefully, Kennedy can keep the next two from going off track and wonky.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Too much JJ Abrams and not enough Luke Skywalker.

The set pieces are poorly constructed and hardly convincing (a trademark of Abrams), sometimes a blue or green screen works better than constructing set pieces, and in the case of Star Wars I think CGI backgrounds and landscapes are necessary.

The death of Han seemed rushed, like they wanted to throw it in the movie just for dramatic effect. This plot twist would have felt more natural happening in the second movie. There is also a huge lack of emotion after this happens, as it cuts straight to action sequences.

The part of the movie that bothered me the most , besides the pre mature death of Han, was when Rey and Chewie arrive back at the resistance base and they are greeted by Leia, Chewy WALKS RIGHT PAST LEIA, like nothing big happened while they were gone, there is no consoling between Chewie and Leia and instead there is a very phony hug and tears shared between Rey and Leia. That part really bothered me, and kind of made the rest of the movie seem lackluster.

Aside from those mishaps, I did find it to be very funny and I thought Adam Driver did a great job as Kylo Ren, even though it might have been better to keep the mask on or make his face a little scarier instead a good looking dude.

I liked the scene when Ren goes berserk with his light saber destroying the control panel and force choking the officer, that was funny

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AnahataN

When i read critiques like yours two things strike me.

First of all I feel like you are being way to harsh and over critical ignoring the massive strengths of this movie and not giving it the credit it deserves.

The second thing that strikes me is how useful critiques like this really are, I am a ultra-star wars fan, this movie for me really only had to be on par with a new hope (not really that difficult) for me to have fallen in love with it. Basically so long as JJ hadn't made anything worse than the prequels i was going to have have a major nerdgasim. So with this myself and others like me are probably not going to bother about the weaknesses of the movie and if we always done that movies would never get any better and that is why as a huge star wars fan if i don't have a knee jerk reaction to a negitive review i can appreciate it.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I hope that wasn't you in the la Puente mall amc showing at 10:45. Or something happened just like that at the mall i was at. where a guy snapped on the guy in front of me who accidentally kicked the seat in front of him. Funny thing is I knew the guy who accidentally kicked the chair in front of him and asked him what happened in the parking lot. He said he was adjusting for his keys. He laughed at the wanna be gang banger accent the guy tried to pull to try and scare him. Funny thing is the dude I was friends with is a ufc fighter, he doesn't look it but yeah his fists are considered deadly weapons. He said the gang banger wannabes girlfriend was in the chair he accidentally kicked and she was basically lying down and he didn't know anyone was in the seat.

What i got from him was he was going to give an apology until he heard the disrespect in the guys voice and saw the guy giving him the mad dog look. He said he just blanking looked back at him like and said nothing. I wanted to see a fight secretly later that's why i asked him in the parking lot.

If it wasn't you which it probably isn't then caulk it up nothing however if it was you then you almost started a fight with a guy who gets paid to fight and train everyday. Not the smartest person to go full on nerd rage with lol

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

My mum asked if Rey was Luke's daughter, but I don't think she is because Luke is more like the Jedi council Jedi's whose teachings forbid possession and attachment as it leads to jealousy and pain which in turn opens the door to the dark side. So I don't see Luke having any sexual relations and I'm sure Yoda and Obi Wan would have taught him this mantra during his training to become a Jedi Knight and the fact he exiles himself blaming himself for Kylo Ren turning to the dark side and the first order means he takes his teachings very seriously.

It's entirely possible she's just randomly strong with the force, like Anakin or due to this "awakening" everyone will become force sensitive, I think that's going to be backstory for Finn as well, the Force has awoken him which makes him change from being a stormtrooper to a rebel

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech
All very good points. I did consider that Rey might just be a natural Jedi, like Anakin. I also considered the possibility that Luke fell in love when he was younger, and blames himself for Kylo's turn to the dark side, because he(Luke) was distracted with love. There are an infinite number of possibilities. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what the writers come up with. I like your take on it, though. Especially this...

...or due to this "awakening" everyone will become force sensitive...

I don't know about "everyone", but I hadn't thought of the force being active in that sense previously. That adds a whole other perspective to the story line. I like it.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   

I did consider that Rey might just be a natural Jedi, like Anakin.

To be fair Anakin was not really a random he was created through the force by Darth Sidious and Plaguis.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join