It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India's fighter operational ready rate at 55%

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The Indian defense ministry recently admitted to a parliamentary panel that the readiness rate for India's military aircraft stands at a very low 55%. Along with the low availability rate, 15-20% of the entire fleet is grounded for lack of spare parts. This includes the SU-30MK fleet. India hopes to raise that availability rate to 65% but this will depend on whether they can secure quick turn around on parts from Russia.

NEW DELHI: In a rare, official admission of the dismal state of the combat aircraft fleet, the government has admitted that at any given point of time, just over half of the planes in the air force inventory are in a state to fly, with a large number of platforms grounded due to technical issues.

While there have been indications in the past by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar as well as air force officials that the aircraft availability rate - the percentage of assets prepared to fly at any given day - is abnormally low, the defence ministry has now admitted to a parliamentary panel that this stands at only 55 per cent.

This is probably a driving force behind India's push to Westernize it's fighter fleet. The reliability of Russian hardware is questionable and the supply chain coming out of Russia seams to be an issue.

The modern Su 30 MKI fleet, which will eventually reach 272 aircraft, is also suffering from an availability of just around 50 percent, with Parrikar determined to push the number up. India and Russia are also set to sign a pact for quick delivery of spare parts for the fleet, as reported by ET.

Defence Minister Parrikar has told ET in the past that his aim is to increase this availability rate to 65 per cent and above so that the available resources of the air force are used optimally. The Su 30 MKI fleet is the cutting edge of the airforce and would be it largest in terms of numbers of a modern fighter jet.

economictimes.indiatimes.com... /50206678.cms

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Honestly I'm surprised it's that good.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Fixed LINK.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Instead of sourcing parts I would think reverse engineering and create their own manufacturing lines for technology,parts and repair would be a far better option.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger
Instead of sourcing parts I would think reverse engineering and create their own manufacturing lines for technology,parts and repair would be a far better option.

They do have their own aircrafts:

LCA

LCH

Dhruv

In development:

AMCA (5th gen)

Aura (UCAV)
edit on 19/12/15 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: asen_y2k

And the LCA is yet to achieve Full Operational Clearance after being 30 years in development. From what I've read they've even switched to General Electric engines, having problems with their indigenous design.

Building modern fighters is hard.
edit on 19-12-2015 by moebius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: moebius
a reply to: asen_y2k

And the LCA is yet to achieve Full Operational Clearance after being 30 years in development. From what I've read they've even switched to General Electric engines, having problems with their indigenous design.

Building modern fighters is hard.
I just checked, its apparantly under production. The Rafael deal has been decreased in number and LCA production increased. I think that was a good idea. Mastering a fighter is hard work, its better a country takes it time and learn rather than depend on other countries.

IAF to induct 120 home-grown LCA jets instead of 40 planned earlier

Regarding the engine, as far as I can understand it was underpowered, hence has been shifted to the UCAV project for which it has more than enough power. For the LCA the GE engine will be used.
edit on 19/12/15 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
It's not only their fighter fleet being slammed by auditors.

m.economictimes.com...

new topics

top topics

join