It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Coleco Chameleon: Retro Gaming making a come back??

page: 1

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:29 AM

Welcome back to the 80's!

IF you lived though the 80's you'll remember this system... One of the first great gaming systems in history...

I had one... of course I had all of the systems in the 80's and early 90s

Now Coleco is coming out with a new system! Straight out of the past...

Cartridge based... but hopefully with a little more guts then the old systems had

No CD's or DVDs... good old fashion Cartridges....

No updates, no mandatory online...

Kickin it back to the past, where all you had to do was blow in the end... and Voila!

Should be interesting!

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:48 AM
a reply to: Akragon

I wonder if it would be feasible for each individual game to be the backbone of it's computer systems. A cartridge could have a whole bunch of computer 'guts' in it that could compliment a console in a way that it adds power, but only the the game it comes with. That would be pretty interesting.

Nevertheless, I'd like to see what this product will have to offer.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:49 AM
Dang! No links!!! Hehehe ..
.is ok...I found one...This looks so cool!

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:53 AM
The problem with cartridge based games is the space, there is none, so expect your games to be N64 or below graphical wise, also, there's good emulators you can get on your phone to play the classics, and this day and age most phones can play 32bit bit games so this console is rendered obsolete before it hits the shelves.

But consoles are what people want them to be, online beast connected to the T.V.
edit on 18-12-2015 by muSSang because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:56 AM
a reply to: muSSang

Pretty sure they could make better cartridges then they did in the past...

I don't see why they wouldn't be just as good if not better then what consoles use now

but what do I know

All console games are the same these days anyways... FPS shoot em up, sports or driving...

Might be refreshing to see something different

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:38 AM

The reason why they got rid of cartridge based games was space, there is none. The N64 was crushed by Sony because of this, The PlayStation's use of CDs as a storage format afforded it many advantages, not least of which was the extra available megabytes affording its games CD-quality audio and swish full-motion-video sequences. In a time when recorded speech, proper, actual music tracks, and video in games were thrilling technological advances, cartridge is dead man.

Plus retro gaming can be played on existing console's, phones and computers. there is no need to fork out money just to play a retro game when there's a plethora of devices and emulators that can play them.
edit on 18-12-2015 by muSSang because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 03:46 AM
If i wanted a retro experience i'd just get a raspberry pi and a custom case with an USB stick hidden in a cartridge and link it up to a few controllers and job done for probably £50 and probably have the full mame back catalogue available with a 32gb stick and be able to use the net when needed to pick up fixes etc

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 05:42 AM
I still have a working Atari 2600. I openly challenge anyone to a round of Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Missile Command, Tank Battle, or my favorite...Robotron.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 07:50 AM
That controller has an interesting layout for retro coleco games. I wasn't aware the system had any twin stick shooters to require dual sticks and a D Pad, looks awkward. I wonder why they chose that design? I wonder if new games will be made for it by indie programmers and artists?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 08:46 AM
a reply to: skunkape23

Robotron is isn't defender,joust,and the game that aggravated me the most out of the three is sinistar.."I hunger"

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 09:38 AM

Does it 4k?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:18 AM
a reply to: Brotherman

The console was originally being made by another company. A sort of retro duo system to play multiple carts from various platforms. That is why the controller is the way it is. Their crowdfunding failed and they apparently made a deal with Coleco who are again attempting a kickstarter campaign.

To those talking about emulation.I am a bit of a purist. Some people can deal with emulation but to me the experience isn't the same. Touch screen controls are garbage. Try playing Ninja Gaiden on a touch screen. It is a lesson in futility. The original controls seems to work better than most 3rd party stuff. Also most retro games were created with things like CRT scan lines in mind to enhance the image. Sound chips are important for some games .Light Gun/Gun con games will not work on anything other than a CRT. There are timing issues/game speed with emulation as well. For example when I emulate Mario Kart 64 some tracks will speed up insanely fast. The last bit for me at least is I can go to a shelf and grab nearly any NES game and be overcome with nostalgia just from holding the cartridge.

People knock Nintendo for sticking with Cartridge games with the N64 but it isn't like they didn't consider a CD system but cost was an issue. Nintendo tries to make their products durable and inexpensive. Go grab a PS1 and let me know if it still works. I have a stack of N64s that work on demand with no issues. Also the Playstation was originally going to be a Nintendo CD based system developed by Sony but Nintendo backed out and Sony continued development of their own.

The Coleco will be niche at best. The only thing that might help it is if they can get some new games produced. I think it would be cool to see some of the homebrew games and reproductions of Japanese imports made available for such a system.
edit on 18-12-2015 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:36 AM
The case is a reused mold from the Jaguar and the controller is a mold from a Wii controller. Probably to save on cost. It happens more than you think.

The only way I could see this working is if the system is Android based and the carts are repined usb flash storage. Cart storage would not be a factor then especially if they are sticking to 8,16,32 bit games. Also this needs new titles.

Rehashing old games or android games will kill this, there would be no reason to buy this if I could just play old games for less than legit ways on my PC or phone.
edit on 12 20 2015 by SgtHamsandwich because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:37 PM
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich
I whole heartedly agree with you, new titles. I hope they really allow indie guys to step up and bring new fresh games, concepts, and ultimately jobs for artists, programmers, and animators to the table.

new topics