It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Jesus doll sparks complaints for being 'offensive to Christians'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
So can Christians be called out for being PC, or non-PC, of what I am not sure?

atlantablackstar.com...

Controversy Over Black Baby Jesus Shows Depiction of Christ Is Still a Politically-Charged Issue.

People often argue that it shouldn’t matter what color Jesus Christ is, but hackles are raised when he is portrayed as anything other than white. This is what’s happening in Pascoe Vale, a suburb of Melbourne, Australia, which has generated controversy by displaying a nativity scene with a dark-skinned baby Jesus.

According to The Moreland Leader, Pascoe Vale state Labor Member of Parliament Lizzie Blandthorn said the figure, displayed in her office window, is a more historically-accurate depiction of Christ. She said the display had been well-received so far.

“It’s a very multicultural community and people are pleased to see a multicultural presentation of the nativity,” she said. “Some people have suggested it wasn’t appropriate because it was dark-skinned, but my view is it’s more historically accurate given the part of the world in which the nativity happened.”

Even though Jesus is usually portrayed as a blonde-haired, blue-eyed Caucasian in Western art, religious scholars say, judging by the place he was born and the people who lived there, he most likely would have been a dark-skinned Middle Easterner. The Archdiocesan Vicar General Monsignor Greg Bennett also supported this view. He told The Moreland Leader Jesus was Jewish, so he would have looked like the people of the Middle East.

Why Christians would be offended by this is something I don't understand?

Interestingly, a second black Jesus has popped up.

www.heraldsun.com.au... c6556b1

“The nativity scene at Dandenong Hospital features a baby perhaps best described as being of Middle-Eastern ethnicity,” Mr Butler said.

“We have had no negative feedback from passers-by, and, in fact, our staff have received a number of positive comments about the nativity scene.”
edit on 18-12-2015 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I hope the other family members of Jesus in the nativity scene are black too, otherwise, you know what I am talking about.
edit on 18/12/15 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

All I know is that the Christians will be called racists for being offended, however if a prominent figure such as Muhammad was portrayed to be "white" who ever did that would also be a bigot(draw Muhammad thread here many claimed bigotry), so it seems like the PC crowd only swings one way.

ETA: everyone needs to stop being so damn offended ( including these Christians) stop being verklempt grow a pair and deal with reality, all of this bull# needs to stop. Everyone grow the # up.
edit on 18-12-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
What complaints, I read you say there are but cant seem to find any

Some people make story's up to sell newspapers and controversy

Jesus was Middle Eastern, not black or white

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   
This is disgusting

The son of GOD is absolutely NOT black

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
The Real Face Of Jesus
Advances in forensic science reveal the most famous face in history.
www.popularmechanics.com...

A possibly more accurate depiction of christ than the blond blue eyed standard.

K~

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   

I do not see what the issue is.

Some people like to yell out, upon seeing me "Oi lads! Look! Its Jesus!". This is stupid for two reasons. The first reason is, that Jesus was probably a much more handsome chap than this borderline lab accident is. But the second reason is that Jesus was born of Middle Eastern parents, and would not have looked a damned thing like the depictions of him we see in western art, as beautiful as those images often are. He was depicted that way because the ignorance of the period was staggering, and despite the entire Bible playing out in a limited geographical region, depicting Jesus as anything other than being like unto the majority of his subjects during the period when those works were done, would have been socially unacceptable.

Essentially, the artists either had the same case of stupid as everyone else, or were aware that the impact of the piece would be lessened, if he had to explain that actually, Jesus would have looked rather different from the western idealised assumptions which used to be made of him at the time.

Factually, he would have had olive skin or darker, a fairly prominent nose, probably had very VERY dark hair, and it probably never hung straight like that of a hippy, but instead was probably a mass of dense curls, and may even have been kept shorter than old depictions of him suggest as a result. What is certain is that you would never have mistaken him for a relative of Rob Zombie, and no one would mistake my bizarre countenance for his, if they thought about it for more than a few damned seconds.

The only people being offended by this image or concept therefore, are people who arrived at Christianity through the organisation raised in his name, rather than through his spirit and love, which is the only valid way to Christ. One cannot find Christ by retaining ignorance and intolerance in their soul, but one can be fooled by a toxic institution into believing otherwise, and that seems to be the problem here.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek
The Real Face Of Jesus
Advances in forensic science reveal the most famous face in history.
www.popularmechanics.com...

A possibly more accurate depiction of christ than the blond blue eyed standard.

K~

That's a hilarious article.

They simply recreated what the average man looked like in a general area around a general time

Literally a massive waste of time

+15 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: OhOkYeah

Hardly.

It is still closer to an accurate depiction of Christ than any of the most famous works claiming to feature his visage.

Do you have a problem accepting that reality, and if so why?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I once stumbled across a similar issue in south London.
In my exalted status as deputy chairman of the local Council of churches, I was charged with the task of organising the street production of an Easter play as part of the Good Friday activities. The youngster playing Jesus was black- not from conscious choice, but because he happened to be the one who came forward. The question of colour did not even occur to me until I noticed an older woman leaving the crowd of spectators and muttering angrily "He's not black- Jesus isn't black".

It is actually fairly natural for a community to form their image of Jesus around themselves, if they're not being self-consciously pedantic. I would not be at all surprised to learn that a Jesus being portrayed in China had Chinese features.
But since the real features of Jesus would have been those of the Mediterranean, dark black can't claim to be any more authentic than white.
So a black baby Jesus is certainly setting out to make a political statement, though arguably it is being provocative towards whites rather than towards Christians as such.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   

What's exactly is disgusting? A black Jesus?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

i had a line of how i hate god and who cares what the christs skin color was but you lost me did you just claim to be the rob zombie?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Yes what the average male of christs time period & geographic location would probably have looked like.
So yes jesus more than likely looked similar to that depiction.

But sure just a waste of time since it doesn't fit your religulous fantasies of what christ looked like.

K~

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: OhOkYeah
This is disgusting

Yeah! He most certainly, probably wasn't black. He was Middle Eastern!

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

You forgot to indicate sarcasm in your post. Or perhaps you're trolling for some fun.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: malevolent

No, but some people think I look like a young Mr Zombie, and others think I look a little like the classical depiction of Jesus. I also get accused of being Gandalf in his college days, Hagrid, and even Osama Bin Laden... People are strange.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: OhOkYeah
This is disgusting

disgusting?

He certainly wasn't white bro...

what's your issue?

And how in the hell do you know he wasn't black?

He could have been purple for all we know

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Jesus was born in the Middle East so more likely to look like a Syrian or Palestinian baby, you know the ones that scare the crap out of you all. The ones you don't want entering your country

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   
How is this any different from a family ( such as mine ) having a black Santa or a black angel on the tree. It just seems to be the way to give those who are black something of their own.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: MystiqueAgent

That depends on if someone were to make a definitive claim that a particular historical figure (that's believed to have existed) belongs to a specific ethnic background. I would say the OP's case is simply saying what you've said, which is perfectly reasonable.

The member 'OhOkYeah' is actually making a claim that not only was Jesus not black, but that it would be 'disgusting' to claim that he was.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join