It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Is an action movie only as good as its villain?

page: 1

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 11:15 PM
Apparently the statement "every action movie is only as good as its villain" is attributed to Dolph Lundgren. Here's an even broader quote concerning the idea:

“Each film is only as good as its villain. Since the heroes and the gimmicks tend to repeat from film to film, only a great villain can transform a good try into a triumph.” — Roger Ebert

Do you agree?

The thing that brought the quotes above to mind is Star Wars 7. Thinking about what I've seen of the film so far, the film's villain, Kylo Ren, looks like one of the corniest villains I've ever seen. That's not the basis for a good action movie no matter how good the rest of the film is.

When it comes to Star Wars, we may have the two greatest villains of all time. Darth Vader and The Emperor, that's as good as it gets IMHO. Those villains could truly carry a movie to new heights.

OTOH, Kylo Ren doesn't even look good enough for a B-movie to me. Everything about him looks and sounds hackneyed. That's probably because he looks and sounds like a poorly done knock-off of Darth Vader.

I haven't seen the film yet so I hope I'm wrong.
edit on 17-12-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 11:39 PM
Depends on the film.

Cohagen wasn't the greatest villain really, but Total Recall is amazing.

Then you could say that without Hans Gruber, Die Hard is just an average shoot em up.

Look at Steven Seagal's movies as well, never really a great villain, but usually worth the hour and a half for action...
Jackie Chan & Bruce Lee mastered that as well in many films...

But then we flip the coin and you see a film like Alien.
Not a villain per se, but the whole point of the movie none the less...
Similar to Predator 1 & 2...

I've never seen Star Wars, so I couldn't go into detail about that.
But I guess it could go either way.
edit on 17-12-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 11:55 PM
Without a good villains Batman would be a sissy.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:07 AM
a reply to: Profusion

for me the best villains are not humans or actors or characters or entities..
And if they are they have to be so smart and powerful they act as gods...

So some of my favorite movies have villains like "the dark side" or
"the matrix"

I have a feeling as a baby to save the princess or save the world or save the one guy from gunfire and die doing it.. Not sure what that is but any movie that can accurately recreate that emotion I also like. BUT I have to believe it.

I'm not interested in most movies lately.
I do have some need inside me to fight the dark side whatever that means.

I wonder if the new star wars will work for me. It has the right epic universal problems to fight against that it would light up my need to fight that enemy if they did it right.. Hoping no one spoils it before I get to see it.

edit on 18-12-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 04:41 AM

originally posted by: dollukka
Without a good villains Batman would be a sissy.

Agreed, take a look at the late Heath Ledger's Joker, the dark knight was in track to be a good film but Heaths portrayal of the Joker made it a fantastic film in my eyes.
edit on 18-12-2015 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:14 AM
Sauron is the first to come to mind. Who was more bad ass than that dude?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 06:19 AM
a reply to: Profusion
I was thinking of going to watch the movie when it comes out. But it does seem just so corny and just basically star wars return of the jedi 2.0 and a half. Most likely there is going to be something more to it, even continuations of story in other movies. But so far does not seem that great, hopefully it will be better then the prequels. At least it will be a continuation of the original story-ark and movies.

But you never know the new movie could surprise us.

And ya! The hero character is pretty much stuck on a wire as there plots are more often written in stone, the only freedom to change things up is usually in the villain characters.

Oh! And Star Wars, I almost forgot about that movie, maybe I will flip a coin on if I should go see it or not, or maybe wait for the reviews, at least there will be less crowds by then if I decide to go watch it. It would give me an excuse to start wearing my "give me some space shirt" Wish I bought two of those shirts, the one I have is getting a bit ripped at the neck.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 09:56 AM
I watched the force awakens the other night. Kylo Ren was a great, complex and very conflicted badguy which I'm sure is going to be fleshed out further as the rest of the films come out. General Hux was also great as a total psychopath.

There's a lot of hype around it but I thought it was a good movie.

new topics

top topics