It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia becomes largest donor to tsunami event at a whopping US$810 million

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Right now Oz is awash in a spirit of giving ... kids are emptying their piggy banks, baking and selling cookies, donating their pocket money. If you think this is lame Thich ... well - all I can say is ... sigh ... yeah whatever.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by c_au
Right now Oz is awash in a spirit of giving ... kids are emptying their piggy banks, baking and selling cookies, donating their pocket money. If you think this is lame Thich ... well - all I can say is ... sigh ... yeah whatever.

c_au, i agree with your sentiments that the tsunami aid effort is not a contest.

Here is a link to the tsunami telethon you refer to.

The nation's compassion for victims of the tsunami continues unabated, with more than $15 million pledged during a concert and telethon simulcast on three TV networks tonight.

Australian commercial television networks put aside traditional rivalries for the first time�to simultaneously broadcast the�fundraising concert from the forecourt of� the Sydney Opera House.

Millions�watched the concert on television as a host of celebrities manned telephones in Melbourne to accept donations for the charity World Vision.

By 2145 AEDT, the tally was up to $15.1 million including�$750,000 donations from Channel Seven and Channel Ten, and 500,000 donations from BHP Billiton and McDonalds Australia.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I think it is quite obvioius why. Australia wishes to be included in the SEATO treaty. I believe Indonesia ws prohibiting this entry... so Aust. wants to impress them and help them out. Logical.

PS. my knoledge of this is outdated, but last time I checked, nothing was hapenning.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I believe SEATO was disestablished in the 70s... I could be wrong.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Not thinking of ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) are you?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The Australian economy is doing well, extremely well. Indonesia is an old neighbour. Neighbours get into disagreements sometimes, but they will remain neighbours. I really do not think that the aid being given by any country at this time is to score brownie points. I laud their efforts. The spirit of giving and helping binds a nation and hopefully will allow these neighbours to grow closer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join