It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BA to repair fire damaged 777

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I'm still looking for a usable source but there's a report going around that British Airways has announced that they're going to repair the 777 that was damaged in a fire in September, while taking off from Las Vegas. The aircraft suffered an uncontained engine failure of the left engine while starting its takeoff roll. Fire broke out as a result, and it suffered significant damage to the lower fuselage, wing, and engine. It was thought that it would be written off as a result of the damage, but the plan is to repair it now.

Boeing engineers examined the aircraft, and a plan has been put together to get the aircraft to a repair facility where final repairs, and certifications of the repairs will be completed. A new engine will be placed on the aircraft, and repairs to the fuselage will be completed, to allow a one time flight to a repair facility. Once there, the aircraft will undergo extensive repairs, that will allow it to be placed back into service.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
onemileatatime.boardingarea.com...
edit on 17-12-2015 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I would hope they repaint it with some flames on.

How are you going to tell what parts have funky metallurgy now due to the heat?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Most of them will get replaced. It's for sure going to need a new center wing box, and left wing going by the pictures of the damage. There will be extensive inspection of parts around those areas using various methods as well to determine if they need replacing or are still usable.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Any idea on how much it'll cost? If it's any sizeable amount of money I'm surprised they're not writing it off and picking up a used one on the market for $10m or less.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

They didn't say. They only said that by the end of the year they'll end up paying $31,000 in parking fees for it.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Wouldn't it of been cheaper to strip it for parts and send the rest down to the scrapyard for some cash in hand change for the Xmas beer fund? what we did with some mainframe gear that went up in smoke

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Before the aircraft even cooled the consensus among pretty much everyone that follows aviation was that the aircraft was a write off, and would be scrapped for parts in place. The decision to repair it shocked pretty much everyone.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
its " obvious " that the airframe is one of the top secrit magic " chemtrail planes "

so it must be repaired at any cost to keep oppressing us

* this post is certified sanity free

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger
LOL, Blackfinger

All you need to repair 90% of aircraft damage like this is some Locktite 401, some "heavy gauge" high speed adhesive backed aluminium sheet, a roll of .32 thou lock wire, Scotch 70 for the electrical connections and harnesses and an industrial quantity of B 1/2 860 and 870 for the tanks and airframe. Then its all good till the ATP's run out!

Seriously I count at least 10 frames that would have been cooked, most of the stringers and longerons on the LH side, the fwd spar on the wing, probably most of the pneumatic ducting as well as at least one ACM/pack. The #1 strut/pylon will be a write off, all the main harnesses as well as LE devices and associated drive shafts destroyed, fuel gallery plumbing, wing to body fairings and support brackets, and that's before we even got to the pressure skin and wing planks and centre wing box.

Why are BA doing this? My guess is to head off adverse publicity when an airframe gets publicly scrapped after such a VERY public and spectacular accident. In the last few years BA has by my count lost another 777 (again a high profile and spectacular incident) and a 747 in Sth Africa that were deemed damaged beyond economical repair. They just dont want to make it three large airframes in a short number of years. It doesn't look good publicly nor insurance wise and it has an impact on capacity. The insurance company will agree because the payout on a 777 would be considerably greater than the residual value I suspect, and more than 50% greater than a repair scheme will cost. My guess is that we will be looking at a repair bill between US $80-100 million, possibly a high as $120 million but still cheaper than a write off by the insurance company.

LEE.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   
The aircraft left Las Vegas February 26th to the Boeing facility in Victorville California. There was a patch on the forward fuselage and a new engine on the left wing. It flew up to 36,000 feet during the flight.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Now goes by the call sign @Crispy@

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Airframe repairs were completed in Las Vegas, after which the aircraft flew to Victorville, and was given a new coat of paint. She departed Victorville today, heading back to the UK, to return to service.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Interesting how they replaced all the metal around the door but not the actual door itself.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

It looked like the door was relatively untouched by the fire. They might have had to replace the entire bulk head segment (which surrounds the door) since the aft end of that bulk head got torched.

new topics

top topics

join