It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strong explosion in the space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
MS 0735.6+7421: Most Powerful Eruption in the Universe Discovered

NASA astronomers have recorded the strongest explosion in space ever detected.

Chandra images show two vast cavities - each 600,000 light years in diameter - in the hot, X-ray emitting gas that pervades the galaxy cluster MS 0735.6+7421 (MS 0735 for short). Although the cavities contain very little hot gas, they are filled with a two-sided, elongated, magnetized bubble of extremely high-energy electrons that emit radio waves.

The cavities appear on opposite sides of a large galaxy at the center of the cluster, which indicates that a gigantic eruption produced by the galaxy's supermassive black hole created the structures. The magnitude of the eruption suggests that as a large amount of gas swirled rapidly toward the central black hole, it generated intense electromagnetic fields that ejected a fraction of the gas in the form of powerful jets of high-energy particles.

animation of the explosion

source: chandra.harvard.edu

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
The size of this makes me feel small
hope their isn't one of these near us

E_T

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Nothing new, so called "radio galaxies" can have "wings" (areas) sending radiowaves which can be much over ten times bigger than galaxy itself,meaning size in class of million LYs.
(also those are propably powered by matter falling to blackholes)

Originally posted by allwayslooken
It would make good to mankind if everyone would feel that way

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
i saw a nasa photo of 5 galaxys colliding togeather a few years ago

i think the 5 galaxys colliding is a bigger calataclysm

the photo is on nasa.com somewhere...

i dont know the actual sizes of the events in comparison however

but i would just expect that 5 entire galaxys colliding into one massive ka-boom would be bigger than one galaxy's 'death'

i could be off a bit but thats just my opinion

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
i saw a nasa photo of 5 galaxys colliding togeather a few years ago

i think the 5 galaxys colliding is a bigger calataclysm

five galaxies or just one exploding,
its all the same, since it is very hard to imagine such dimensions of this explosions. but its true many planets and stars were destroyed.

makes you think how small we really are in the space,
since one big wave on our planet can easily clean up the coastline of cities.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Five galaxies colliding? Wow, I wonder if there are any inhabited planets in those... wonder what that would be like, hmm...

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Oh I'm pretty sure out of all five galaxies at least one was inhabited at the time, or at least before they collided.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
When did this happen, why won't your link work, and why haven't I heard about this earlier?! This guy's bigger than the Super Nova that appeared to us in the early 80s? MORE INFO! I NEED MORE! (I'm about to embark on a search, when I find other sources, I'll edit them into this post)

EDIT1: www.news-about-space.org...

[edit on 1-7-2005 by junglejake]

E_T

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
but its true many planets and stars were destroyed.
Unpropable, these eruptions and matter jets are common for active galaxys, those are caused by blackholes in center of galaxys, just like that one in our Milky Way, it's just that they require some "fuel" to work.

en.wikipedia.org...

What happens when galaxies collide?
Pretty much nothing spectacular...
curious.astro.cornell.edu...

[edit on 7-1-2005 by E_T]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Now we just have to figure out how to bottle that and use it as a weapon against asteroids and invading aliens

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
if it was that big of an explosion, it must have been a very large star, or a sun, which in fact is a star. but 600,000 lightyears wide, DAMN, thats freakin big. and for those who dont know how fast light goes, its 186,000 miles a second. so that is alot of miles.haha

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by allwayslooken
hope their isn't one of these near us

Don't worry about it, lot of explosions likes this have been noted before. I don't think there is anything that is really close enough that is in colliding distance, even if there is I don't want to know.

Surf

new topics

top topics

join