It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I saw it! Star wars force awakens! (spoilers)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Took the day off work to see it (HAHA USA we got it before you
).

Not sure what to make of it to be honest. As a fan of the old EU I was a bit peeved at Disney throwing it all it and starting new. Sure there was a lot of crap that needed canned but there were gems that could and should of been kept and needn’t have interfered with JJ's writing.

I think JJ played it safe. At least until the end when Han is killed. The plot goes back to the old trilogy with a super weapon needing destroyed.
JJ has it seemed adopted from the EU some things like the New Republic, though it seems there were not quite as effective in pushing back the Empire and the Imperial Remnant seem to have reorganised into the first order which again borrowed from the books in that one of its leaders is Han and Leia son who has fallen to the dark side and has developed a bit of a Vader fetish. No twin sister it seems and he is Ben not Jason (Why they couldn’t have kept that I don’t know? Again would of made the EU fans happy without interfering with plot).

No new fighters introduced only updated X wings and Tie fighters (where the bloody hell are the A and B Wings and Tie interceptors?)
A few new capital ships in the form of a new class of star destroyer and a few freighters and transports though there are no big capital ship battles just a few fighter dog fights with the disappointing array of fighters
. It can be forgiven in the first film as the film manly focuses on the characters introducing the new ones which is fair enough and something Lucas fell flat on in the prequels. JJ this time has at least hired competent actors and has written characters you can care about and don’t find annoying. By the end of episode one I pretty much wanted the entire cast dead except Liam nesoon. And JJ has toned down the Childish gimmicks Lucas introduced in his prequels. The feeling is one a lot more darker like Empire strikes back.

No annoying lens flares like star trek. And you can see JJ spent some time and care with the special effects.

One major peeve was a lot of questions still go unanswered like how did the first order form? What lead Ben Solo to the dark side? Who is the leader of the first order? though I am guessing that’s for the other 2 films! Though what did piss me off was the first order blowing up the New Republic capital yet it never stated what planet it was! Plus like in Star Trek JJ played a little lose with Steller distances putting planets far to near each other.

Over all I will say 7/10, JJ didn’t screw it up but I think he could of done better, though it may be something that gets better over the trilogy. But it was still light years better than the prequels!

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

What about Luke?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

What about Luke?

Doesn’t appear to the end of the film and no speaking role but it seems he will play a bigger part in the next film.

He basically screwed up his first batch of Jedi and went off in a self imposed exile for being a screw up.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

What about Luke?

Doesn’t appear to the end of the film and no speaking role but it seems he will play a bigger part in the next film.

He basically screwed up his first batch of Jedi and went off in a self imposed exile for being a screw up.

I'm going to see it tonight. Spoilers have never bothered me, so no big deal. However, I see JJ is using Luke to draw everyone to the next film. That sucks. I think it's gonna hurt him in the long run. At the same time, SW is so huge, I'm sure they will still make their money back, and a lot more.

As I've said before. JJ is the last person I'd have hired for this project. Seems likely I was right to feel that way from what you've described. I'll still enjoy the movie though, I'm sure.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

What about Luke?

Lame,

I was hoping the bad guys were hunting for him, then find him on a remote planet and then he frags them all and comes out of hiding.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

He is hideing on a remote planet and the bad guys are hunting for him. They just dont find him.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This movies i awsome.

I have one little gripe and its been annoying me since I saw it.

when Han confronts his Kylo ren and Ren sticks the lightsaber in him, han touches his tenderly touches his face. I thought it would have made much more emotional impact if at that point if han said "I love you" and then in the most evil way possible Kylo Ren said "I KNOW!" and then through han off that bridge.

Just would have made a bigger impact taking a huge emotional line like that used in emprie and jedi and twisting it into something evil.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Oh man, I wanted to see Luke lay waste to a bunch of wanna bes.

link   
double post
edit on 17-12-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

link   
double double post
edit on 17-12-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
argh no! I knew I shouldn't have clicked, we are seeing it tonight. I don't wanna see Han die

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

I think that's what most fans wanted to see, but it's JJ's job to get everyone primed for the next two. Dollars before fans, and all that.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

I think that's what most fans wanted to see, but it's JJ's job to get everyone primed for the next two. Dollars before fans, and all that.[/quote

Think your being abit cynical. There were alot of new Characters to introduce and only so much time, hell there was still alot that needed to be expanded still on the newbies! Luke could quite easily wait. Better JJ takes his time and does it right than cram everything into one movie in one gigantic fan wank that feels rushed, hollow and overboard......like the prequels....

Now hans gone they can focus on luke for the next movie.
edit on 17-12-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Was it a musical?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Spoilers!!!??? Really? That's just wrong. You can't wait for a few days at least? A week?

You have gone to the dark side.....

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

You got the movie first; no fair!!! However, thank you for telling your thoughts, Ewok!

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
ps: I had to totally skip OP :p

until I see the movie then I shall be here to bicker I am sure.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
Spoilers!!!??? Really? That's just wrong. You can't wait for a few days at least? A week?

You have gone to the dark side.....

I did warn you in my thread title so you only have yourself to blame

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Oh, I didn't read jack squat. Yeah, I admit it.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Was it a musical?

Of course it is!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join