It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is satan willing to give so much power?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The most satisfaction is where you work and save your whole life to finally have enough to buy the rope you hang yourself with.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Because if you actually are dealing with Satan, it's a little like that quote from Jurassic Park, "That's the illusion. You never had control!" Who said Satan is giving up anything? In order to gain from the transaction, you must first give yourself up to him which means he still exercises all that power through you. It's still his.

The AUO is both the good God as benevolent; positive AND the polarized bad God negative/malevolent. Man is attracted to either force or embraces both or ignores them; as are expressing that which is actually the soup making up this being; as we are as well; its mirror.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasyeti
There is no such thing as Satan. And the invisible man has left us with free will. So go enjoy life!

Prove that free will exists.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: OhOkYeah

There is no such thing as Satan. And the invisible man has left us with free will. So go enjoy life!

This should be interesting.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cogito, Ergo Sum

Sticky premise as should include this: Freewill vs Self will.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

Semantics. We either have free will or we don't. One of those propositions rules out an omnipotent and omniscient god existing. Attempts to reconcile the two notions result in special pleading type logical absurdities.

Even without such a god, the most cursory look at the situation reveals that free will is obviously extremely limited at best (in the most basic sense limited by physics and biology for starters). Genuine free will is unlikely to exist. A god would probably be the only type of being that could have such a thing. The illusion of free will is more likely to exist.

edit on 19-12-2015 by Cogito, Ergo Sum because: for the heck of it

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Do something against your will. Let us know what happens.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Because He Has No Honor... And Is Waiting For Someone Who Will Give It To Him.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Semantics. We either have free will or we don't. One of those propositions rules out an omnipotent and omniscient god existing. Attempts to reconcile the two notions result in special pleading type logical absurdities.
Even without such a god, the most cursory look at the situation reveals that free will is obviously extremely limited at best (in the most basic sense limited by physics and biology for starters). Genuine free will is unlikely to exist. A god would probably be the only type of being that could have such a thing. The illusion of free will is more likely to exist.

When was "Semantics" tossed to the wayside, its a word that has enough meaning to exist within language.
Self will is the means to pursue Free will; perform freewill in accordance to ones own wishes desires (selfish/stubborn/obstinate) the action of free will acted out.
Free will is the ability to make or be a causal action done by ones own free will voluntarily; without being pushed or enslaved (no one is imposing). The human may possess Self will, NOT free will as God owns this territory.

edit on 19-12-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

That's not how it works

How would I tell the difference between whether I chose to do something against my will or if it was predetermined to happen via cause and effect?
edit on 19-12-2015 by OhOkYeah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Man has an unusually aggressive imagination to create the idea of something larger than itself (a prime creator) beyond its own comprehension.

It is a part of who we are, so religion is as much us as anything else. We spend most of our time thinking in the abstract. We can't even make breakfast without first abstractly make it. Look around EVERYTHING was first an abstract thought before it became real. Religion is just a by product of that as is science and everything else we first create as a thought then we create it in reality. Things we haven't been able to physically create yet we use terms like faith and others to create it in our minds.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Taxes would satisfy that condition for most

Ever suffered depression, or known anyone who has? Wonder why they just don't stop being depressed, they seem to be doing it against their will.

Which pov are you trying to support with that little poser.....?

Randomness or human free will is not possible with the normal religious ideal of god.

Full knowledge of every interaction and manifestation that has, is, or ever will take place is what "omniscience" implies. Throw "omnipotence" into the bargain and every manifestation past, present, or future is not only known with certainty but there can never be anything that isn't consistent with an all knowing, all powerful being's will.

Remove god and what really changes?

If we had enough knowledge and were intelligent enough we might find that everything is non random and predictable. The ignorance that allows people to think they have free will might be understandable and predictable itself... As far as we can tell (after the first Planck time at least) it looks very likely that things happen, as a result of other things happening, as a result of...and so on. Why would it not be possible (or even likely) that ignorance of these factors, could account for the illusion of free will, where none really exists?

edit on 20-12-2015 by Cogito, Ergo Sum because: for the heck of it

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

When was "Semantics" tossed to the wayside, its a word that has enough meaning to exist within language.

I certainly didn't toss it to the wayside. I used the term within an English language reply and in context.

Your "pursuing free will" as opposed to "having free will" argument simply uses semantics to allow whatever claim suits your argument. Like having an "each way bet". If you think humans have "limited free will" (which is still free will by the way) say so. No need for vagueness. It's unlikely anyone ever thought we had the unfettered free will of a god to begin with. A rose, is a rose, is a rose...

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: gell1234
I've noticed something and I don't think its just me...Satan is willing to give power to people where God just wont...

Have you had the same experience?

Well...God gave Satan his power. So I don't know why you would think God won't when Satan will. All power Satan gives out has to be less than he himself received from Jehovah.
edit on 20-12-2015 by JackReyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: gell1234

Power is the illusion that the angel offering it knows it is nothing more then
but to some, the illusion may not be seen and so some attach.

God knows the will see you later (after you outgrow or mature past your attachments levels, however many lives that may take) so perhaps wishes not to slow your processes of attachment to the materialistic with illusions of setbacks, this would be my subjective analysis...

NAMASTE*******

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: gell1234
Have you had the same experience?

Personal experience, you owe it something it likes to collect in the "doubted" afterlife.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   

That's not how it works

How would I tell the difference between whether I chose to do something against my will or if it was predetermined to happen via cause and effect?

Good point.

The experiments below seem to indicate at a minimum, the concept of "free will" is far more complicated than it appears.

Asch conformity experiment.
www.nytimes.com...

The Milgram experiment.
www.simplypsychology.org...

One significant finding of modern studies is that a person's brain seems to commit to certain decisions before the person becomes aware of having made them. Researchers have found delays of about half a second (discussed in sections below). With contemporary brain scanning technology, other scientists in 2008 were able to predict with 60% accuracy whether subjects would press a button with their left or right hand up to 10 seconds before the subject became aware of having made that choice.[5] These and other findings have led some scientists, like Patrick Haggard, to reject some forms of "free will". To be clear, no single study would disprove all forms of free will. This is because the term "free will" can encapsulate different hypotheses, each of which must be considered in light of existing empirical evidence.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Cogito, Ergo Sum

Taxes aren't a good example.

Yes, we talk about how we do them against our will, but we aren't actually forced to do them. We simply make the choice to do them because the negative consequences of not doing them are a higher price than most of us are willing to pay.

Social Security would be a better example. That is taken out of your paycheck without you having any choice at all.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

That's not how it works

You can't choose to do something against your will. Thats like raping yourself. No matter what you do, til the day you croak, it is always your choice and your consequences.
edit on 20-12-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

CES: I certainly didn't toss it to the wayside. I used the term within an English language reply and in context.
Your "pursuing free will" as opposed to "having free will" argument simply uses semantics to allow whatever claim suits your argument. Like having an "each way bet". If you think humans have "limited free will" (which is still free will by the way) say so. No need for vagueness. It's unlikely anyone ever thought we had the unfettered free will of a god to begin with. A rose, is a rose, is a rose...

They are two separate variables the human can choose from is all. I have no argument as I did not invent the words/language or the definitions of (merely reciting a possible direction of choices; not the consequence). I am abstract/vague by nature so cannot help myself in order to make a better version. If one accepted we are God particles (its creation divided from itself) those individualized parts of Itself would have free will (key definition: individualized; a part of God but separate enough to work with it but not for it).
edit on 20-12-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join