It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Muslims and Christians worship the same God?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: babloyi

Jewish God is YHWH not Allah.

Debunk it

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: Learningman

A question for you...As a christian why would I ever read from the quran?

Because you might be interested in understanding and not just righteous condemnation? Maybe even realize that you have more in common than not? But that would shatter the illusion of superiority.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

originally posted by: dollukka
Jewish God is YHWH not Allah.

Debunk it

Hahaha...why are you linking me a video of yourself reading out an article instead of just linking me the article?
And what has the video got to do with the Jewish God? It barely spends 2 minutes on on Judaism before jumping to how Jesus is the Saviour and everyone else follows demons and pagans and so on.

Do you think an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, eternal being can be so simply restricted and condensed into a single word with the exclusion of all others? You think God's first language is Hebrew? All the most beautiful names belong to God.

Interesting how Jesus's Sayings on the Cross include nary a mention of "YHWH", but instead have him calling out to "Eli, Eli". He didn't seem so hung up on names.

Since Judaism accepts that Allah is God, are you now suggesting that (your brand of) Christians do not worship the same God as Jews?
edit on 18-12-2015 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Elohim is also used in OT " Mighty God" but where in OT God´s name has been Allah?
"I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty (Ail Shaddai), but by my name Jehovah (Yahweh) was I not known to them"

Do not try to derail it instead i asked you to debunk it.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Elohim is also used in OT " Mighty God" but where in OT God´s name has been Allah?
"I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty (Ail Shaddai), but by my name Jehovah (Yahweh) was I not known to them"

Do not try to derail it instead i asked you to debunk it.

You do like to keep repeating accusations of derailment. Almost made me miss how you've been the one causing derailment the past few posts.
As for your question, you might wish to check out the "Young Yemini Jew" your video so easily dismissed. He refers to the same word that is used in arabic to refer to God as well.
And I'm not getting the significance of the verse you posted. So you're suggesting that since God revealed himself to the Patriarchs without bothering about using this supposed exclusive hebrew-language name, it can't be universal?
Since Abraham, Isaac and Jacob didn't know or use YHWH when referring to God (which to be fair, didn't exist at that point), they somehow didn't know the true God?

So are you suggesting that before the existence of the hebrew language, before 1000BC, God didn't have a name? Or perhaps you're saying that God held up the Hebrew dictionary with him from the beginning of time, immortalising the language before it existed, and decided at some point in pre-eternity that no, despite the over 7000 languages that have existed until now (never mind the new ones that will exist later), God's name will be a specific phrase in a specific language and nothing else?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Second time you said it is my video and i am talking there. What made you think so ? I am not familiar of the video you mentioned. How can you say he is a jew or is it just a hearsay ?

Still where in OT there is Allah.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Allah is not the name of God, it means 'God', many middle eastern Christians, such as the Coptics, have called the Christian God Allah for centuries.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Second time you said it is my video and i am talking there. What made you think so ? I am not familiar of the video you mentioned. How can you say he is a jew or is it just a hearsay ?

Still where in OT there is Allah.

Actually, I only said you were talking there once. If it isn't you, then alright. "Your video" could just as easily be understood to mean "the video you linked".
You are not familiar of the video I mentioned?! I am talking about the very video you linked (I'll use that longer expression, and refrain from calling it "your video" for your benefit), which speaks of a popular video by a Yemeni jew, who explains how "nutbag evangelical christians" (his words) mis-characterise Jewish understanding of God in an attempt to denigrate Islam. Are you now suggesting that he's not really a jew? That's a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

As for your assertion that Allah is nowhere in the OT, the same letters that the "young yemeni jew" uses (i.e. Aleph-Lamed-Het) appear several times in the Bible to refer to God. A quick check returns the Books of Ezra, Daniel and Jeremiah. Since neither Hebrew (or Aramaic, being the language Jesus spoke) nor Arabic use vowels (instead relying on diacritical marks), Aleph Lamed Het and Alif Laam laam hay could just as easily be pronounced either way, and as is universally accepted by ALL SEMITIC LINGUISTS (despite what crazy youtube videos may try to suggest), share the same root (meaning God).
So unless your next argument is "God doesn't appear in the German Bible, the German Bible refers to 'Gott'!", then there's your answer.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Show the verses where name Allah do exist.
And who are disbelievers according to Quran ?
edit on 18-12-2015 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

www.blueletterbible.org...
And heck, from the same site (actually from Strong's lexicon):
www.blueletterbible.org...
Notice the arabic word written there?

edit on 18-12-2015 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

So to you ʼĕlâhh, el-aw is Allah ?
What exactly in this says that it is the same God? ʼĕlâhh, el-aw is God but not the God´s name which is YHWH, there have been hundreds of Gods in human history they all could be put into category of ʼĕlâhh.

We don´t get anywhere with this it is a dead end. Maybe someday we continue where we were.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Allah (English pronunciation: /ˈælə/, /ˈɑːlə/ or /əlˈlɑː/;[1][2] Arabic: الله‎ Allāh, IPA: [ʔalˤˈlˤɑːh] ( listen)) is the Arabic word for God (al ilāh, literally "the God"), referring to the God in Abrahamic religions.[3][4][5] The word has cognates in other Semitic languages, including Elah in Aramaic, ʾĒl in Canaanite and Elohim in Hebrew.[6][7]

It is now mainly used by Muslims to refer to God in Islam,[8] but has been also used by Arab Christians since pre-Islamic times.[9] It is also often, albeit not exclusively, used by Bábists, Bahá'ís, Indonesian and Maltese Christians, and Mizrahi Jews.[6][10][11] Christians and Sikhs in West Malaysia also use and have used the word to refer to God. This has caused political and legal controversies there as the law in West Malaysia prohibits non-Islamic uses of the word.[12][13][14][15]

Allah is not a name of God, its is the word for God.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

What you bolded is exactly what i meant. It is a word meaning God. There were Thor, Zeus etc Allahs

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

But they are from a pantheistic religion, whereas Allah refers to 'The One God', if you missed it it is the God of Abraham, the 'One God'. Allah IS mentioned in early bibles, because it was the word for One god. The God Jewry, Christians and the Muslims praise. But you will never see that, so from now on I will leave you with your opinion that you have a vested interest in preserving, while the rest of the world acknowledges fact, no matter if we don't like it.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Did you even read what I said other than the bolded part? No, Allah is the term for 'The one God' not for Zeus, not for Thor, not Amun Ra or Baphomet. The Abrahamic god. Its well founded and taught by many churches and historians.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

No,it is more like wanting to protect myself from useless
garbage in my mind.One of the reasons why I stopped reading
romance novels.
I understand a lot about this so called religion of peace and I
have no illusions of superiority.The differences between the
two religions are polar opposites.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

So you mean you are set and dnt care to expand your horizons. I see all of the religions as garbage but I'm nonetheless very interested in them. That's why I'm more well informed than you.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
The differences between the
two religions are polar opposites.

How can you come to this conclusion just after you acknowledge that you don't know about one of religions?!

You sound like Deepak Chopra when he comments quantum mechanics while surrounding it in mysticism...

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Learningman
a reply to: mamabeth

So you mean you are set and dnt care to expand your horizons. I see all of the religions as garbage but I'm nonetheless very interested in them. That's why I'm more well informed than you.

So Islam is also garbage ?

originally posted by: SuperFrog

How can you come to this conclusion just after you acknowledge that you don't know about one of religions?!

You sound like Deepak Chopra when he comments quantum mechanics while surrounding it in mysticism...

Joined forces right ? Interesting attack on person who doesn´t really care about religion of peace.. who can blaime her? It is her choice and in democratic society which she lives in is totally acceptable. God gave her free will and she is using it ..Do you accept her choice ?

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Yes, Islam is garbage. I will attack anyone who used feelings as proof over facts. I can blame her, she has access to truth but like many, hides behind beliefs that allow for no new information. I don't think god gave her free will, I believe she has it on her own.

Nobody is blaming her, but to speak on a subject and fight against it without effort to learn is both arrogant and silly.

I notice you have yet to reply to the solid facts i presented that conflict with your beliefs.

Do you truly believe you cane have a well thought out and reasoned discussion when you are unable to accept anything other than what you arrived at the debate 'believing', and with a major lack of knowledge of 50% of the subject?
edit on 18/12/2015 by Learningman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join