It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil Just Blocked WhatsApp Despite Almost Everyone In Brazil Using It

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   

A court has blocked the app that 93% of Brazil’s internet users depend on for their communication needs.

A court in Brazil has ordered telecommunications companies to block popular messaging service WhatsApp for 48 hours, citing a failure to respond properly to a criminal case.

According to Brazilian newspaper O Globo, the order was handed down from the 1st Criminal Court of São Bernardo do Campo in São Paulo, Brazil, due to an unnamed petitioner seeking an injunction against the company. All Brazilian telecommunication companies — including Hi, Vivo, TIM and Claro — have to block users from accessing WhatsApp for the next two days starting at 9 p.m. ET.

Well, i think this is an absurd, Facebook politic clearlysstates that they do not share their user info, as wrote in the "Accept and Agreements." formulary. But whatever, no one speaks with me at Whatsapp

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I'm sure what you said is true, but are you on windows 7 or 8 or 10, then I believe it is all connected with fb.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
What's facebook got to do with anything?
Whatsapp has nothing to do with them!
It's usually used on mobile phones as a Voice Over Internet Protocol (voip)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Frocharocha

Whatsapp is basically an alternative messaging system that I use to communicate with people who are already on my contact list. I have no contacts on my Whatsapp list, who do not appear on my phone book, therefore, I use the service alongside, or in place of the phones in built messaging software.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Esarman

Facebook has 19 Billion reasons to be involved in WhatsApp as this article, which is nearly 2 years old, will explain...

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Frocharocha

Well this sucks.... one of my good friends I met online lives in Brazil, and we trade videos and pictures via WhatsApp every few days.... It's cheaper than calling and texting internationally

GG Brazil.... GG.

-Alee
edit on 12/17/2015 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I totally understand the app, what I don't understand; why use the app and not just your text messaging on your phone? Anyway it's absurd that they have banned it

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Why use it?

Simple. Most messaging apps which come as standard with a mobile phone, make sending video and images less smooth of a process, and offer no VoIP functionality. Whatsapp does all those things much better than the standard gear that comes with a phone, straight out of the box.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
While working in Dubai 8 years ago I was unable to access Skype. When attempting to access the Skype website a censor page displayed saying it was against cultural and religious norms. Further research showed it was actually illegal. It has nothing to do with "cultural and religious norms.". Ninety five percent of the population are ex-pats. Go figure.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Whatsapp is the best free app for speaking with people in other countries. Just about all my latino friends use it.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Frocharocha

A court has blocked the app that 93% of Brazil’s internet users depend on for their communication needs.

A court in Brazil has ordered telecommunications companies to block popular messaging service WhatsApp for 48 hours, citing a failure to respond properly to a criminal case.

According to Brazilian newspaper O Globo, the order was handed down from the 1st Criminal Court of São Bernardo do Campo in São Paulo, Brazil, due to an unnamed petitioner seeking an injunction against the company. All Brazilian telecommunication companies — including Hi, Vivo, TIM and Claro — have to block users from accessing WhatsApp for the next two days starting at 9 p.m. ET.

Well, i think this is an absurd, Facebook politic clearlysstates that they do not share their user info, as wrote in the "Accept and Agreements." formulary. But whatever, no one speaks with me at Whatsapp

Brazil blocked something that uses the internet? Oooooh boy. Next they'll be locking you guys away in camps and starving or executing you!
/sarcasm

On a serious note, I've never heard of WhatsApp, is it another kind of social media communication or something?

Edit: Question answered, nevermind.
edit on 17-12-2015 by LSU0408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

Facebook has 19 Billion reasons to be involved in WhatsApp as this article, which is nearly 2 years old, will explain...

I have 19 billion reasons why facebook should be shut down.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: djz3ro

I have 19 billion reasons why facebook should be shut down.

I agree.
Can you list the first 100?

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
So, did that section ofcthe nsa and its servers get a holiday?

new topics

top topics

join