It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian College Places Professor Who Wore Headscarf on Leave. (Terrorists Are Winning?)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   
December 17, 2015

Christian college places professor who wore headscarf on leave

Excerpt: "A professor at an Illinois Christian college was placed on leave Tuesday after wearing a headscarf to show solidarity with Muslims.

Larycia Hawkins, who is a Christian and an associate professor of political science at Wheaton College in suburban Chicago, said Wednesday that her actions were demonstrations of her own faith. Hawkins began wearing a hijab to counter what she called the “vitriolic” rhetoric against Muslims in recent weeks."

Source: www.foxnews.com...

My Comment...

I wasn't sure if this should be placed in the "War on Terror" or the "Religion" forum. It has elements of both.. Internationally respected Christian-based Wheaton College, feels it's combating terrorists by putting a tenured professor on leave because she donned a headscarf. (a.k.a. a "hijab") She also posted something on Facebook comparing the teachings of Chrisitanity to the teachings of Islam. Why are her actions a "threat"?!?!

Over the past few months, it seems that American Christian leaders in particular, are violating Christianity's basic beliefs and teachings... Love, Respect, Turning the Other Cheek, Unlimited Tolerance...etc.. If Americans overall become this paranoid, then the terrorists will be winning the mental war, don't you think? A few more small (by recent global standards) attacks, and they'll bring America to its knees.

-CareWeMust (Chicago)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

This kind of xenophobia is absurd!

I wonder how many Christians/Catholics in America are aware of the fact that Muslims of the true Muslim faith believe in Jesus the same exact way that they themselves do.

True Muslims embrace Jewish and Christian alike, much like the true followers of the Torah embrace Muslims and Christians alike and wow imagine that true followers of Jesus embrace Muslims and Christians alike!

Daesh does not represent true Islam, Zionists do not represent the true Judaic faith, the Vatican does not represent true Christianity, IMHO the examples listed here are representative of the Devil of each of these religions!

People really need to break their TV's and perhaps find their own truth in their own lives!

edit on America/ChicagoThursdayAmerica/Chicago12America/Chicago1231amThursday3 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Why are her actions a "threat"?!?!

Because it's not a war on terror (sure they call it that) but it's a war on critical thinking and common sense. This teacher is a threat because they showed some common sense and critical thinking and the biggest threat is showing examples of common sense and critical thinking in educational institutions, it's like the kid who had to cover up his star wars t-shirt because it had stormtrooper on it. They just want to dumb everyone down into little drones who lack the capacity to think critically or have common sense so they can just comply with the status quo without questioning things, if you think our generation is terrible, imagine how the next generation are going to be when they've been indoctrinated with PC madness and fear of terror.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   

(Terrorists Are Winning?)

Why, yes, yes they are, if this is any example...

This professor is thinking for herself, isn't that what universities are supposed to do? My God, people, this woman and her actions pose no threat to anyone.

Are we really that scared of our neighbors? Seriously?

Yeah, there are Muslims out there who would cheerfully murder me. ...and? Do I cower in my home hiding from them? Never.

One of my neighbors is Muslim. Do I suspect that he wants to murder me? Nope. He's actually a very nice man. His wife is an absolute gem.

So, two diametrically opposed folks. Both of whom happen to be Muslim. Some would deport my neighbors simply because they're Muslim. Some would register them like we do our dogs. Now, because a professor has realized this, right along side of me, she is removed from her job?

Go ahead tell me the terrorists haven't won. Go ahead.
edit on 12/17/2015 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Hmmm...

Seems to me that removing such a person from the premises is an expression of the Anti-Christian nature of the politics involved with Christian institutions.

It would hardly be the first example.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

It could be as simple as that, too.

Politics on college campuses are as cutthroat as it gets. This may have been viewed as a golden opportunity to rid themselves of a pita.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   

If she is saying there is no difference between Christianity and Islam then she should be fired.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I can only imagine how toxic a Christian campus would be.

Churches in my area are dangerous enough, spiritually. I have been looked on rather poorly for my manner of belief where Christ is concerned, namely that spending money on buildings to worship in, and people to lead services, and fine metals to make chalices, candle sticks and so on out of, is not something Christ would have recommended. He would have spent the money ONLY on improving the lot of the needy, and would have totally and utterly eschewed owning dedicated worship space in his name.

The guy lived on the road. He was a roadie, lugging the amp stack of our sins from gig to gig, crashing at friends places, hanging out in attic rooms, and generally living hard, but free. The dude was not on the ancient equivalent of Cribs, and would not have wanted to be.

Anyone who points this out, tends to get a slap from members of the organisation of Christianity, despite these being valid points.

It must be even worse at a college set up by the Church.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Looks like those Christians who actually act christian get attacked alot by Christians lately.

Like when Chancellor Merkel stated letting refugees into our Nation would be the "christian thing" to do, she ironically got attacked the most from far-right-Christians within her own Party... the CDU (Christian Democratic Union).

*I'm not sure it actually is the "christian thing" to do though... since I'm no Christian myself.
edit on 17-12-2015 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
Churches in my area are dangerous enough, spiritually. I have been looked on rather poorly for my manner of belief where Christ is concerned, namely that spending money on buildings to worship in, and people to lead services, and fine metals to make chalices, candle sticks and so on out of, is not something Christ would have recommended. He would have spent the money ONLY on improving the lot of the needy, and would have totally and utterly eschewed owning dedicated worship space in his name.

I am employed by the Church and am contractually obligated the "uphold the Christian values of the Church". You have no idea how often I have been expected to compromise my own values, as a human and as a christian (with a small 'c') in order to do that. I very nearly lost my job because I don't see the harm in homeless people using the church for a kip or to warm up, nor do most of the congregation (as long as I feel safe with that), I was admonished by "The Church" though on the basis that we, "The Church", are not social workers. You have to wonder, do they even understand the Gospels?

It's funny...but it really is not.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I can only imagine how toxic a Christian campus would be.

I have only experienced one and it was the exact opposite.

colleges.startclass.com...

Most people I know had very mixed experiences in college. I probably know 15 people who went to Gordon and they loved it.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ColCurious

The "Christian" thing to do would be to let the Church help them. She was attacked because she used religious justification to push her own agendas, not God's.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Anaana

No. It most certainly is not. Not funny "ha ha" at least, more like "that's funny...there is not usually a human torso in this trash can!".

In every endeavour, every exercise of thought, every proper examination of the gospels when read with love in ones heart, one comes across inconsistencies, divergence in terms of the way Church procedure deals with the reality of life. Christ upheld the weak, provided for the sick and the needy, looked after folk. He was kind, compassionate, respectful and loving toward people. But the Church can be cold, mechanical, bureaucratic and blind.

That is why I have cut ties with the organised Church in all its forms. No one judges me now, for worshiping by following, rather than learning the rituals by rote, remembering the words of hymns written by zealots and hypocrites, and instead spending my time out in the world, where good can be done, differences made.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I'd agree with that.
From my point of view there shouldn't be any "religious justification" affecting politics at all.
I guess the other side sees it like that from their end too.

I have never heard that reasoning within the CDU before though... Good input!

*Also, the Catholic Church is sitting on vast financial means.
Maybe contributing some of that towards the refugee-crisis would be the "christian thing" to do.
edit on 17-12-2015 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   

They want things both ways. "It's the Christian thing to do" when it fits their agenda, and "we have separation from church and state" when it does not. If you want to bring Christianity into politics give money to the Church to help them. If you won't do that because you think Church and State need to be separated then you are not looking to do the Christian thing.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Not sure how true that is nowadays, I bet their liquid assets are not that impressive.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   

On Topic:

I don't think a christian college placing a professor on leave for religious reasons equals "Terrorists Are Winning".
It's a christian college after all. A private institution with a strong religious affiliation.

What they do on their grounds according to their internal religious-politics is not the publics business (as long as they're not imposing anything on the public...) and also not part of public life.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Imagine, if you can as hard is it is to believe
Atheists started a school, then a Christian teacher showed up
Bet they wouldn't last long

I was on the Flying Spaghetti Monster site and as religions go, their members are as evil and nasty as any other religious group I have come across, nasty bunch

If it was a Christian teacher in some parts of the Middle East, they would be headless

It's a private school, I can understand

I know a few atheists who send their kids to Christian schools, I wonder why that is

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Not sure how true that is nowadays, I bet their liquid assets are not that impressive.

I can only speak for Germany, but here the Catholic Church is still one of the largest landowners ever since the Middle Ages, and they are also allowed to raise taxes. They hold serious funds in Germany alone.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

They aren't toxic at all. No more than any other college campus. At least in my experience.

I live in a college town. One is a very liberal arts college. Another is a community college that is rapidly becoming a four year school. The third is a college run by the Seventh Day Adventist Church. I've attended two of the schools over the years, the community college, and the SDA school.

Students are "required" to attend various functions related to the SDA beliefs, or were, anyway...I've no idea whether it is now, or not. I never did, as I don't share their beliefs.

I'm nothing even resembling an SDA, and I made no secret of it...yet I never had any negative feedback over it from students or staff. Ever. Of course, I never went out of my way to be obnoxious about it, either. I wore heavy metal tshirts fairly regularly. Any issues they may have had were more than counter balanced by my grades...deans and presidents list before I got tired of it. What I got tired of was the never ending attempts to steer me in directions I not going to go. Not the religious aspect of campus life.

Are some Catholic/Christian colleges like that? Sure. But many are not.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join