It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have had enough of this PC culture!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

So satire is the "get out of criticism card"? In a way I agree but it's not what you were saying; you were denouncing all criticism of offensive displays/words as a show of moral superiority.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: ketsuko

There is no way to have caught someone like her, when she hadn't done or said anything publicly to have caught it. Same thing with trying to catch a person from buying a gun and shooting up a bunch of people when he passed the background check. Are you all for stricter background checks to try and catch the bad guys, even if it means some innocent gun owners might suffer?

But that's a topic for another thread. My point is, it isn't popular (PC) to be a Muslim right now.

So Facebook posts aren't public?

Isn't that what this thread is all about?
edit on 17-12-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
It's actually politeness and manners.

If someone invites you to their home for dinner, and after you've eaten you light a cigarette at the table knowing the hosts and other guests don't smoke, and after you have a few puffs you put the cigarette out on your dinnerplate, you've done what you wanted.

But the other guests are going to think you are rude and crude, and you won't be invited back again.

Because RUDE. But you can indeed be rude if you choose. It's up to you.

All right.

But this was that photographer's page. So, if you invite people to your house and YOU are the HOST and YOU light up to smoke ... well, if the guests don't like it, then they don't come back if you invite them next time. But if it's YOUR house and party to begin with, then you play by rules and the guests should expect as much.

If the people on the photographer's page didn't like what they saw, then they are free to leave her page.

But death threats?

Now who's being rude?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

It is a picture that implies a family cannot achieve "peace" unless the females are not allowed to talk. And you are surprised people don't like it?

This oversensitivity to criticism towards a person's own insensitivity is getting ridiculous. We don't have time for it. If you have the thick skin to offend others, don't whine and cry about it when you are criticized for it. Offensive people don't have the monopoly on free speech. Talk about a "special snowflake" complex...

Thankfully, I apparently have thicker skin than most today. But really, being so "offended" by something you have to make a death threat?

That really deserves some coddling, right? So because your offended, it's ok to break the law?
They need to put their grown up pants on, and get over it.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

So satire is the "get out of criticism card"? In a way I agree but it's not what you were saying; you were denouncing all criticism of offensive displays/words as a show of moral superiority.

But in a way they are.

Someone sees something they disagree with these days and they yell loudly to prove they could not possible be so horrid.

Look at how the people who don't like this photo talk about their disagreement. It's all about how they have manners and are polite and crap like that, and yet they'll be first to storm the thread and call others bigots, racists and homophobes which is the very epitome of rude.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Some of the people in this thread must think this song a horrid ball of hate while I find it enormously entertaining and funny ... just like the whole musical.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

But in a way they are.

Someone sees something they disagree with these days and they yell loudly to prove they could not possible be so horrid.

Look at how the people who don't like this photo talk about their disagreement. It's all about how they have manners and are polite and crap like that, and yet they'll be first to storm the thread and call others bigots, racists and homophobes which is the very epitome of rude.

That's where it stops making sense to me. How is calling a person out for their rudeness rude? That defense keeps getting brought up but it makes no sense.

It's like the bully who keeps slapping the kid while laughing. The kid finally punches the bully and the bully is all like "Why are you so hostile?!"

That doesn't make sense to me.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

It is a picture that implies a family cannot achieve "peace" unless the females are not allowed to talk. And you are surprised people don't like it?

This oversensitivity to criticism towards a person's own insensitivity is getting ridiculous. We don't have time for it. If you have the thick skin to offend others, don't whine and cry about it when you are criticized for it. Offensive people don't have the monopoly on free speech. Talk about a "special snowflake" complex...

Thankfully, I apparently have thicker skin than most today. But really, being so "offended" by something you have to make a death threat?

That really deserves some coddling, right? So because your offended, it's ok to break the law?
They need to put their grown up pants on, and get over it.

Who is defending the death threats? Any time any liberal person does something against conservative correctness (like removing Christmas decorations from a public place or something), there is normally reports of death threats from conservatives.

The topic is about how much the OP hates "political correctness", not how much they hate death threats.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

OMG That is funny! And dare I say, lest I offend every feminist, that MY GOD, I laughed because there is a sliver of truth in there?

Maybe that is the problem today.
People have lost the ability to laugh at themselves, or see any of their own flaws, so now they become offended by any of the little stuff, that may reminded them of it?

(NOT including the big baddies folks, like rape and murder, before I get accused of meaning those too.)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

UM...
weren't the death threats due to "political correctness?"

Or should I say, what was perceived as a lack of?
edit on 17-12-2015 by chiefsmom because: spelling as usual

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: kaylaluv

No, you do what you want. I won't be offended. I'll just think you're either a nut case or you have a strange sense of humor and continue to scroll.

Too late - you already posted your opinion about it.

quite disgusting to be honest. Who would even want to portray that scene?

Did you not ask my opinion about a man with a smoking gun standing over his dead wife and two dead children he'd just shot?

Not really - it was more of a rhetorical question. But I see you felt compelled to tell me exactly what you thought of my statement.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

But in a way they are.

That's where it stops making sense to me. How is calling a person out for their rudeness rude? That defense keeps getting brought up but it makes no sense.

It's like the bully who keeps slapping the kid while laughing. The kid finally punches the bully and the bully is all like "Why are you so hostile?!"

Oh, but it's not "simply calling someone out." It's calling them racist, bigot, homophobe, etc. They don't say, "pardon me, but I think you were maybe a bit rude." It's more like, "OMG, You RAAAAAACISSSST!" They behave like the little kids do when they circle around the classroom goat, you know, the kid no one liked and always picked on, and start yelling at him or her.

In other words, they turn into the very bullies they say they are seeking to prevent.

edit on 17-12-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The origin of PC to me was common sense, do not insult others due to religion, race, sex, sexuality or disability.

I see that some are taking it too far though and is losing original intent.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Sremmos80

I didn't notice the bound hands.
Yeah, that takes it past my initial interpretation of the photo.

I'm ambivalent on the appropriateness of it thanks to years and years of watching tasteless and intentionally inflamatory nonsense defended as "art." If throwing elephant caca on a canvas and calling it a rendition of the Virgin Mary is "art," then the door is open pretty damn wide... at least wide enough for this image to waltz in several dozen abreast with no worries.

I saw the tied hands but put not more weight on that than on the taped mouths. Honestly the first thing I thought of, taking the picture in context, was stopping all the noise and stopping the kids from tearing apart everything he is trying to assemble for Christmas, and stopping the wife from running amok with the credit cards. That tongue in cheek humor has been around since The Honeymooners, probably a lot longer. Associating it with forced bondage, abuse, slavery, etc, is a new thing. I would be as upset as anyone if I thought for an instant that it was meant to condone real acts of abuse. But it clearly does not fit in to that category.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

You did notice that the boy wasn't bound up and gagged, didn't you? So you don't think little boys are loud and running around getting into things they shouldn't?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

There is valid criticism and invalid criticism. Claiming something is offensive is invalid given the subjectivity of what is offensive. Claiming offence is just that, claiming you're offended. It's a display of subjective moral standards which one might berate others for not sharing—a claim to moral superiority.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

UM...
weren't the death threats due to "political correctness?"

Or should I say, what was perceived as a lack of?

So... you are willing to admit that the Planned Parenthood shooting is a result of "conservative correctness"?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

a reply to: Vroomfondel

You did notice that the boy wasn't bound up and gagged, didn't you? So you don't think little boys are loud and running around getting into things they shouldn't?

Like father like son. Like mother like daughter. That used to be a compliment in the old days. Back when role models meant something.

In real life I am sure there are little boys running around being loud. In this small slice of one mans humorous version of his reality he is not. Is that so hard to accept?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

There is valid criticism and invalid criticism. Claiming something is offensive is invalid given the subjectivity of what is offensive. Claiming offence is just that, claiming you're offended. It's a display of subjective moral standards which one might berate others for not sharing—a claim to moral superiority.

Again, you can say that about anything. Everything is subjective. There is no such thing as "valid criticism and invalid criticism".

All criticism is a display of subjective standards of some sort. That's the whole point of criticism!

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

But in a way they are.

Oh, but it's not "simply calling someone out." It's calling them racist, bigot, homophobe, etc. They don't say, "pardon me, but I think you were maybe a bit rude." It's more like, "OMG, You RAAAAAACISSSST!" They behave like the little kids do when they circle around the classroom goat, you know, the kid no one liked and always picked on, and start yelling at him or her.

In other words, they turn into the very bullies they say they are seeking to prevent.

So your issue with it is a disproportionate response? So if the response was toned down enough for you, you would support the basic idea of political correctness?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join