It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have had enough of this PC culture!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That's good. I have an account for both but rarely use FB. In fact, I had an alert this morning that said "See your 2015 Year end review" so I clicked on it and couldn't help but laugh. My entire year consisted of 5 pictures I'd posted and nothing else. One at my cousin's crawfish boil in Texas, one of the snake I shot, skinned, and BBQ'd, and 3 I'd posted of my fiance and I. I will say that on Twitter (which I just joined a few months ago), you will only see posts from the people you follow.

Not that you care to hear about any of that, but I do agree with you 100% on the FB and Twitter thing. They both suck, FB more than anything.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Vroomfondel

That's what social networks are all about though. To post your thoughts and feelings about stuff. I've seen people posting their opinions about gun rights too, and responding negatively to people who post comical memes about "gun nuts".

Shouting your opinions goes both ways. You just don't have a problem with it when it agrees with your opinion.

I have to disagree. I don't use being pc as my measure of whether I respond to something I see on popular media or not. I don't call people out for being politically incorrect. I might challenge what they say, but I never question their right to say it and I don't consider them wrong for saying it. I may believe what they said was wrong, but they still have the right to say it. There is a difference there. One is free speech, the other is ideological control.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: kaylaluv

No, you do what you want. I won't be offended. I'll just think you're either a nut case or you have a strange sense of humor and continue to scroll.

Too late - you already posted your opinion about it.

quite disgusting to be honest. Who would even want to portray that scene?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

My FB profile picture is like 3 years old and shows me beardless and playing an acoustic bass guitar. I currently have a beard and play a mandolin more than the bass now. I just don't care about other people's opinions enough to go check it all the time. Most of the stuff people are thinking at any given time is stupid and not worth knowing.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Your post is ironic for pointing out the irony.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: network dude

Your post is ironic for pointing out the irony.

It's ironic that you noticed the irony.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

Would it be possible to organize an anti-pc day type event based on this picture? Something during the summer on the street with all the appropriate permits from the city? Take out a couple of full page adds in the local free newspaper, run a facebook campaign, set up beer a beer garden, games, photo shoots, contests for the most anti-pc costume? That would be fun-ny. Would certainly force a conversation to happen anyway.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Here's a list of cases from the Foundation of Individual Rights in Education, past and ongoing, of PC culture stifling free thought, free expression and freedom of the press in academia:

All FIRE cases

Those who dismiss the legitimate concern over this phenomenon, a phenomenon that has been refuted by members from all over the political spectrum, as invalid, really have no argument to do so, and are willingly turning a blind eye to this madness.

Edit:

Also, it is well known that comedians, those who tell jokes, those who write satire, are under heavy fire from this puritanical self-victimizing. One example is Omar Mahmood who wrote this brilliant satire for the Michigan Review, a conservative paper at the University of Michigan. He also wrote for the Michigan Daily, the liberal paper on campus, which he was fired from for refusing to apologize to a staffer who felt "threatened" by him because of his satire. Later, people threw eggs and hotdogs at his door, wrote threatening notes and left them there, and left pictures of satan. Mahmood is a muslim conservative. The vandals were 4 hooded women. All this because he satirized PC culture.

Michigan University student’s home vandalized over conservative op-ed

If someone feels threatened by a satire, and can have someone fired because of it, that is the stifling of freedom of speech. If someone reads something and feels the need to threaten the writer or vandalize his home, that is PC silencing someone.

I'm also reminded of Salman Rushdie who had a fatwa issued on him because of his Satanic Verses. People like Rohld Dahl said he got what he deserved. Publishers in Britain refused to publish his work. He is the victim of threats, and the PC crowd of the time stood against him, a writer in a free society with a price on his head.

Don't make the stupid mistake of confusing PC neo-puritanism with general politeness and respect, because that's exactly what it isn't. It is the enforcement of the chilling effect through threat of violence, slander and ostracism.
edit on 17-12-2015 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

The correct response is to simply not hire them if you do not like the work they stand for.

Thank you for telling me how I need to express my self, not what people complain about with PC at all.
This is common for the Anti folks, so hell bent on telling everyone what their opinion on things should be and how they should deal with them.
They want people to shut up and be silent.
Pretty ironic.

edit on thThu, 17 Dec 2015 13:24:07 -0600America/Chicago1220150780 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Facebook the internet's toilet's toilet.

edit on 17-12-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: kaylaluv

No, you do what you want. I won't be offended. I'll just think you're either a nut case or you have a strange sense of humor and continue to scroll.

Too late - you already posted your opinion about it.

quite disgusting to be honest. Who would even want to portray that scene?

Did you not ask my opinion about a man with a smoking gun standing over his dead wife and two dead children he'd just shot?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: LSU0408

My FB profile picture is like 3 years old and shows me beardless and playing an acoustic bass guitar. I currently have a beard and play a mandolin more than the bass now. I just don't care about other people's opinions enough to go check it all the time. Most of the stuff people are thinking at any given time is stupid and not worth knowing.

And I guarantee you that probably 90% of the people on friends lists don't give a crap to see what people have to say all day... I know I sure don't.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Knew this was coming soon.

What was funny about the picture?

The fact that females often chat your ear off and then nag at you if you do not pay them enough direct attention, regardless of whatever it is you are trying to do at the moment. This gentleman and his son are rejoicing in the peace of quiet solitude obtained by placing a muffling piece of duct tape over his wife and daughters' mouths.
edit on 17-12-2015 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

It is a picture that implies a family cannot achieve "peace" unless the females are not allowed to talk. And you are surprised people don't like it?

This oversensitivity to criticism towards a person's own insensitivity is getting ridiculous. We don't have time for it. If you have the thick skin to offend others, don't whine and cry about it when you are criticized for it. Offensive people don't have the monopoly on free speech. Talk about a "special snowflake" complex...

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I get that, and I see it, I don't think this accurately portrays that since they decided to bound the hands.

My assumption on what pissed people off the most is the peace on earth sign, as if this is answer to that age old question.
Just bound up all the woman and girls and all us guys will finally get along! That joke is fine in the locker room, but when you broadcast it to random people, not everyone is going to share that sense of humor.
And I am sure there was the feminist that don't like that stereotype, which I get but think that is a bit over the top. We all get stereotyped at some point.

When you put something like this up on social media, like the photographer did, you are going to get public opinion. People don't need to get to the point where there is death threats, but have every right to say they don't like the picture.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

PC puritans surreptitiously admit, by displaying their offence, that they know what's best for this family, other families, women, men, which is a claim they could never back up with examples from their own lives. For the most part it is a form opportunism—by denouncing politically incorrect materials they get to perceive themselves as moral superiors. Of course their behavior and speech proves otherwise.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

PC puritans surreptitiously admit, by displaying their offence, that they know what's best for this family, other families, women, men, which is a claim they could never back up with examples from their own lives. For the most part it is a form opportunism—by denouncing politically incorrect materials they get to perceive themselves as moral superiors. Of course their behavior and speech proves otherwise.

By your logic, a person can't criticize anything or anybody for any reason without it being an attempt to perceive themselves as "moral superiors".

When you speak poorly of the KKK, are you doing to in order to feel morally superior or are you doing so because the KKK deserves to be spoken of in that way? What about Hitler or Westboro? Are criticizing remarks towards them just a product of a morality complex?

This is a ridiculous argument. In reality, it is cause and effect. You say or do something others do not like, people will criticize you for it. These people who whine about people not liking what they say just need to grow up.

As far as the death threats, "PC" people get them all the time and that doesn't seem to slow down the rhetoric from the other side. This is why you hear people yelling to shoot and kill protesters at Trump rallies yet his supporters still support his madness. Death threats are already a crime so it's not relevant.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

By your logic, a person can't criticize anything or anybody for any reason without it being an attempt to perceive themselves as "moral superiors".

Ya you need to shut up and get over it.
And it is the PC crowd that wants to silence people.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

When you speak poorly of the KKK, are you doing to in order to feel morally superior or are you doing so because the KKK deserves to be spoken of in that way? What about Hitler or Westboro? Are criticizing remarks towards them just a product of a morality complex?

This is a ridiculous argument. In reality, it is cause and effect. You say or do something others do not like, people will criticize you for it. These people who whine about people not liking what they say just need to grow up.

As far as the death threats, "PC" people get them all the time and that doesn't seem to slow down the rhetoric from the other side. This is why you hear people yelling to shoot and kill protesters at Trump rallies yet his supporters still support his madness. Death threats are already a crime so it's not relevant.

Except the KKK, Hitler, Westboro weren't doing what they do out of humour and satire. A family taking a funny picture is. So no, that's not my logic. You're comparing apples and oranges, which is the reverse of logic. They've committed no crime, hurt no one, and did nothing wrong. So what's to criticize? Nothing at all. So then why whine about it? To proclaim yourself as morally superior, to show you confuse satire with the real world.. You don't like it because you don't find it funny. Who's humourless, you or them? That's obvious. How is that their fault? It isn't. That's it.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I didn't notice the bound hands.
Yeah, that takes it past my initial interpretation of the photo.

I'm ambivalent on the appropriateness of it thanks to years and years of watching tasteless and intentionally inflamatory nonsense defended as "art." If throwing elephant caca on a canvas and calling it a rendition of the Virgin Mary is "art," then the door is open pretty damn wide... at least wide enough for this image to waltz in several dozen abreast with no worries.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join